Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

lawred2 wrote: »
    I doubt it did

I'm now doubting it did too and can't access statements.

The only thing is maybe Amazon split the payment which I misread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

FWIW airs always taken the money from the one currency account for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Transfer from my Revolut € account to my BUNQ account initiated at 8:37 this morning reached my BUNQ account at 1105.

When I send it there was no prompt for fast transfer, it just transferred it.

On the BUNQ account it shows me as sender no longer revolut.

That is seriously fast transaction to and from the account if the bank can deal with the Iban bic combination and does have multiple transactions Windows.

Impressed with this new move to LT based accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

N26 with a bit of a burn for Revolut here :D
    https://twitter.com/n26/status/887607555958165505

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

Savman wrote: »
    N26 with a bit of a burn for Revolut here :D
    https://twitter.com/n26/status/887607555958165505

What is the n26 like in comparison to revolut?

• Advertisement

ieoin wrote: »
    What is the n26 like in comparison to revolut?

Account Scope:
    N26 full current account (including direct debits)
    Revolut give you own UK sort codes / LT based € IBAN for transactions but no direct debits

Exchange Rate:
    N26 used mastercard rates (fixed daily) so is less competitive than Revolut (beside on weekends)
    Revolut used market rates at the time of the transaction (beside on weekends)

Cash:
    N26 has higher ATM limits
    Revolut has low ATM limits and high cost if you withdraw more than the allowance

Customer Service:
    N26 has bad customer service with long wait times
    Revolut has good customer service if you can get a human after long wait times

Premium (to get those shiny cards shown on twitter)
    N26 has a world elite debit card with some additional benefits (insurance, no foreign currency mark-up for ATM transactions)
    Revolut has shiny cards in different designs that are all coded as prepaid (from wirecard)

Transaction Times
    N26 (according to experience) used 7 central clearing windows for transactions
    Revolut seams to use no windows but near time clearing times for transactions which explains the speed for credit to/from the € account.

So it really depends on what you want to use the card/account for.

If you need a full account, N26 could be an alternative.
    If you do loads of foreign currency transaction Revolut will be better.
    If you need loads of Cash, N26 might be better.

Or you could combine a nice current account (like bunq) with revolut (giving that transfers from bunq to revolut take only a couple of hours).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Tristram wrote: »
    Card arrived today. Unfortunately I am stuck in processing logjam for ID verification. Also, unless I am mistaken about the hours, support isn't online when it is supposed to be.

Update: ID verified and card functioning. Support is a bit of a pain in the arse as it takes a long time (hours) to get through to a real life person. Issue was resolved fairly quickly once that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone know what's the point of the virtual card? It uses the same numbers as the actual card so it's not like it's masking the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone know what's the point of the virtual card? It uses the same numbers as the actual card so it's not like it's masking the number.

You can create a "disposable" virtual card without actually having a physical card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

OU812 wrote: »

Are you sure about that? My virtual and physical cards have different numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

I still really don't get this revolut card.

I got one for an upcoming trip to Indonesia.
    I don't have the ability to understand the minefield of information to understand if it is of benifit or what use revolut is to me.

Anybody out there willing to maybe do up a couple of paragraphs that can be added to the opening post, and stop lay users like me constantly bombarding the thread with the same questions over and over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

eurokev wrote: »

I don't have the ability to understand the minefield of information to understand if it is of benifit or what use revolut is to me.

Anybody out there willing to maybe do up a couple of paragraphs that can be added to the opening post, and stop lay users like me constantly bombarding the thread with the same questions over and over.

Why did you get one if you don't understand it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,063 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its a Mastercard that you Credit money to with really super exchange rates. Whats not to get.

listermint wrote: »
    Its a Mastercard that you Credit money to with really super exchange rates. Whats not to get.

unless it's a weekend or it's THB, RUB or UAH.....

Why did you get one if you don't understand it?

Thought it would be useful for traveling, but still not sure.

What are most people using it for??

Lots of people seem to use it for currency trading from what I can see

What's the advantage for me in using this for traveling? Or for buying stuff from Amazon, eBay etc...... Is what I suppose I'm looking for answers for

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thought it would be useful for traveling, but still not sure.

What are most people using it for??

Lots of people seem to use it for currency trading from what I can see

What's the advantage for me in using this for traveling? Or for buying stuff from Amazon, eBay etc...... Is what I suppose I'm looking for answers for

You use it the same as you would any credit/debit card abroad.

Use it to buy things and withdraw local cash from an ATM.

Much better exchange rates then other typical Irish cards and lots more security features which would come in handy travelling in somewhere like India.

I also use it for buying from Amazon.co.uk, again because the exchange rate and fees are cheaper then using any other card.

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

i got one recently mostly for gambling.
    my card was declined saying my limit had been reached.

The customer service is a nightmare - automated bot.

Number is a foreign number , don't fancy ringing it on my mobile

anybody know what i need to do...only used 70e on gambling so far....limit seems very low

any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

a quick scan of the thread seems to answer my question - but they don't explicitly ban gambling?

next question - is there a similar card or account I could use for gambling?
    Ideally want to keep gambling out of my current account in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

a quick scan of the thread seems to answer my question - but they don't explicitly ban gambling?

next question - is there a similar card or account I could use for gambling?
    Ideally want to keep gambling out of my current account in ireland.
    Skrill? They do have fees - https://www.skrill.com/en/fees/
    But if you are mainly using it for gambling
    https://showcase.skrill.com/
    I do not know it is the best option, it is just one i know of.

Out of interest, why is gambling not allowed on some debit cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I did a payment from my bunq account at 5:36 this morning to my € IBAN from Revolut and at 6:53 it was credited to my Revolut card.

Looks like the € IBAN uses real time clearance as bunq does, which is excellent.

Now I also did a payment from my PTSB account this morning but that is still not there, let's see when that shows up.
    My PTSB transfer from Monday to my € IBAN reached my Revolut card this morning.

I did a transfer from my PTSB last night ( about 1900hrs ) still not here ( 2050hrs ). How long did it take for yours?

newbie2 wrote: »
    I did a transfer from my PTSB last night ( about 1900hrs ) still not here ( 2050hrs ). How long did it take for yours?

1900 is way beyond the cut-off time of PTSB for SEPA transfers, so they will have processed it today and you should have it on your Revolut account tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Ah , that makes sense. cheers

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Did a sterling transfer from my Revolut account yesterday to my sterling PayPal account.

Funds were in my PayPal account in under five minutes. Very impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Sterling is at 8 month record low if anyone is waiting to make some purchases on Amazon.co.uk or other UK sites.

Converted €223 to £200 just now... might drop further, but that'll do me for now

https://www.dailyfx.com/eur-gbp

EDIT: USD has also dropped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Revolut fluctuating around £89.60 for €100 now. Think I'm going to exchange a bit for trips later in the year.

Thats a great rate isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,296 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

mrcheez wrote: »
    Sterling is at 8 month record low if anyone is waiting to make some purchases on Amazon.co.uk or other UK sites.

Converted €223 to £200 just now... might drop further, but that'll do me for now

https://www.dailyfx.com/eur-gbp

EDIT: USD has also dropped.

Nice. Have £720 sterling to pay for exams so that's a bit of a saving :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Revolut fluctuating around £89.60 for €100 now. Think I'm going to exchange a bit for trips later in the year.

An Post Sterling card online topup (as of 13:25 today) GBP 86.90 Rate 0.869 €100.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

gizmo81 wrote: »

It might drop further, but sure it's better than it's been for 8 months.

I converted some to USD as well and saved a nice bit on a purchase just now (compared even to yesterday!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Meanwhile I'm sitting here with a load of sterling from a refund waiting to convert it back to EUR :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement