Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Is there any reason not to top up my Revolut card using my bank credit card? I'm probably wrong but I had it in the back of my mind that there was some reason not to use a credit card, only debit card.

Can't remember exactly but it may have been that it was simply refused or else that it would be charged as a Cash Advance Transaction like topping up a betting account. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Is there any reason not to top up my Revolut card using my bank credit card?

it works fine with boi credit card... revolut charge 1% fee though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

Hi i am looking for help using the revoult card on ebay it does not work They want you to use paypal i had to use paypal & got charged 3 euros more than the revoult card would have charged me i found this online but cant find out how to do it in paypal ( buy with revoult instead of paypal )
    uvwGp

http://imgur.com/a/uvwGp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

homingbird wrote: »
    Hi i am looking for help using the revoult card on ebay it does not work They want you to use paypal i had to use paypal & got charged 3 euros more than the revoult card would have charged me i found this online but cant find out how to do it in paypal ( buy with revoult instead of paypal )
    uvwGp

http://imgur.com/a/uvwGp

You need to go into paypal and change the currency of the card to GBP before purchasing something in GBP and using Paypal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

Thanks just found it where my credit card details are stored under manage currency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

it works fine with boi credit card... revolut charge 1% fee though...

What is the best way to get money on to revolut from boi, as in the cheapest option possible. I am assuming boi charge as well as it is considered an online purchase

From revolut website: top-up, ''bank transfer & debit card (free) credit card 1%''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

ieoin wrote: »
    What is the best way to get money on to revolut from boi, as in the cheapest option possible. I am assuming boi charge as well as it is considered an online purchase

From revolut website: top-up, ''bank transfer & debit card (free) credit card 1%''

Top up with debit card.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Revolut update (my money was stolen over a few months and I never got notifications about it):

Sent a formal complaint to them and they have sent me all the money I'm owed fairly instantly, regardless of whether charge backs work or not. You have to give merchants 45 days to contest the charge-backs.

They are still pretty clueless (read: don't want to admit) about the notification issue causing people to lose more money, so be careful on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Anyone know (while I'm waiting for support to get back to me) does Revolut allow reversing top-ups? Entered €102 for an Android Pay top-up which was exactly what I needed for a GBP purchase on Amazon, swapped to the calculator app for a second, and swapped back to Revolut. In the meantime Revolut changed the currency from GBP to EUR which I presume is the default and I didn't notice, so ended up topping up in GBP from my EUR bank account, totally negating the entire benefit of using Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Revolut update (my money was stolen over a few months and I never got notifications about it):

Sent a formal complaint to them and they have sent me all the money I'm owed fairly instantly, regardless of whether charge backs work or not. You have to give merchants 45 days to contest the charge-backs.

They are still pretty clueless (read: don't want to admit) about the notification issue causing people to lose more money, so be careful on that front.

I stopped getting notifications from Revolut on my OP2 but since I upgraded to a OP5 all notifications are back.

I still check the app regularly though and would notice of my balance changed without me actually using my card.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I stopped getting notifications from Revolut on my OP2 but since I upgraded to a OP5 all notifications are back.

I still check the app regularly though and would notice of my balance changed without me actually using my card.

Yeh i wasn't getting notifications for a while finally thought of checking settings, was off, turned it back on. Must of been a glitch.

Anyone used Revolut for TFL contactless?

I'm gonna try it this week bit nervous of them saying ticket inspector cannot read the card contact support in this instance. Three hours later I'm on the platform of Waterloo in handcuffs . . .

http://news.revolut.com/post/146212645837/touch-it-tap-it-rev-it-welcome-to-revolut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Register your Revolut card to your TFL account. This is a necessary step.

Make sure you have £15 on your Revolut before tapping on the tube/bus/DLR/train etc. This is a necessary step.

Make sure you've tested your Revolut in another contactless machine before hand. This is a sensible step.

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Anyone used Revolut for TFL contactless?

I'm gonna try it this week bit nervous of them saying ticket inspector cannot read the card contact support in this instance. Three hours later I'm on the platform of Waterloo in handcuffs . . .

http://news.revolut.com/post/146212645837/touch-it-tap-it-rev-it-welcome-to-revolut

Had to double check but yep have it added to Oyster account so good to go thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Worked a treat for TFL, took the £10 as stated, then took the £19.30 cap, will get my £10 back but the end of the week I believe.

Had a jittery moment when the ticket inspector read my Revolut Card on the way back to Gatwick. Either way he said nothing.

Very handy altogether.

Plus, the exchange rate was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭iniall

My OH discovered last night that numerous attempts were made by someone to make purchases using her Revolut card, two for £0 accepted, all the rest - some for £100s - declined and the card disabled. All this without a single notification from Revolut. That's very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

I was able to use my revolut card with ryanair last year with no fee by selecting MasterCard debit. I tried again and it doesn't seem to work and I noticed that they now also added "MasterCard prepaid" as an option which also has a fee.

Did anyone recently managed to use their revolut card with ryanair without fees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I couldn't make a payment for a flight recently without selecting mastercard in the drop down menu. Revolut has prepaid on the back so maybe they changed it recently.

Also did anyone else notice that Ryanair can sometimes switch the currency to Sterling at the last minute even if you are booking a flight from Dublin with the price in Euro until payment?

Maybe they do this to give you a worse exchange rate that they convert themselves? You seem to have to tick a box hidden in an obscure link to keep the currency in Euro.

I was recently booking flights from Ireland and the UK separately which would usually have the currency of the local airport but it wanted to be in Sterling for even the Dublin flights just before payment :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Amouar wrote: »
    I was able to use my revolut card with ryanair last year with no fee by selecting MasterCard debit. I tried again and it doesn't seem to work and I noticed that they now also added "MasterCard prepaid" as an option which also has a fee.

Did anyone recently managed to use their revolut card with ryanair without fees?

I use Revolut to book flights to/from airports in UK only to avail of sterling conversion at a good rate. Unfortunately, all of my recent dealings (1 year+) have incurred the fees. I really don't understand why a pre-paid card is treated any different to a debit card - the money is instantly available, so why?.

But, I suppose, if a fee can be shoe-horned into any dealing, Ryanair will be on it like flies on the proverbial. It's their modus operandi, so we may have to accept it or go elsewhere. I'd like to know if it's the same booking with other airlines - does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

RoYoBo wrote: »

But, I suppose, if a fee can be shoe-horned into any dealing, Ryanair will be on it like flies on the proverbial. It's their modus operandi, so we may have to accept it or go elsewhere. I'd like to know if it's the same booking with other airlines - does anyone know?

It depends on the airline. Prepaid/credit card fees are charged normally as a fixed fee + percentage to the merchant. Debit card is just a fixed fee. That's why they can be more expensive to use on certain websites.

It depends on the airline. Prepaid/credit card fees are charged normally as a fixed fee + percentage to the merchant. Debit card is just a fixed fee. That's why they can be more expensive to use on certain websites.

Thanks, that explains it so.

I guess all of these kinds of extra fees must be calculated into the equation when booking flights etc. Maybe it's a reflection of the kind of online shopping I do, but flights (with Ryanair) are the only thing I purchase that incur any extra fees. Other companies make no difference between credit and debit cards IME.

I know that people booking tickets (and probably other things I don't buy) incur fees, but it seems disingenuous at the very least. The word gouging comes to mind at the other extreme. If other companies can provide a level playing field for online purchases, it's a shame they all can't.

Contactless has been declined twice in Lidl, yesterday and today.

Worked in Aldi :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Success using contactless at a Starbucks in Sydney. Will try for some larger transactions later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭batistuta9

If you're buying something in Sterling, is there a way to use your euro balance if you've a Sterling balance too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

batistuta9 wrote: »
    If you're buying something in Sterling, is there a way to use your euro balance if you've a Sterling balance too?

No it'll take the Sterling balance first and then try Euros if you don't have enough in Sterling.

Not sure if this would work, but you could try temporarily sending your sterling to someone you trust with a Revolut account until your transaction is complete - then take it back.

Edit: I mean ask for it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭batistuta9

No it'll take the Sterling balance first and then try Euros if you don't have enough in Sterling.

Your gambling then changing anything over to sterling, I bought some a couple of weeks ago at .89 but it's went up again since.

I must look at their other cards later to see what can be done with them

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Your gambling then changing anything over to sterling, I bought some a couple of weeks ago at .89 but it's went up again since.

I must look at their other cards later to see what can be done with them

Just spend from your sterling wallet and, when complete, convert some euro to sterling to bring your sterling balance back to what it was at prior to making the transaction. Same difference.

Whether you convert euro to sterling in advance of using it or you keep it as euro, you're gambling either way as the two currencies are constantly shifting both up and down against each other.

• Advertisement

The TFL £10 authorisation appeared back in my account yesterday which was funny for a Sunday I thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement