Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

just try to verify again, mine went through within about 2 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

just try to verify again, mine went through within about 2 minutes

Sorted now... It was stuck on pending, I got a reply from their customer service about an hour after.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

What's the limit once verified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

All my top ups are pending today but no money taken from my deibd card.Waiting ages to get support.Does anyone here have same problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Same here. Useless company altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Savman wrote: »
    Same here. Useless company altogether.

Now my pending top ups transaction disappear from Revolut but luckly no money taken from by debit card.Ive just used my CC,overpaid by 2.5% but couldnt wait any longer FFS :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Now my pending top ups transaction disappear from Revolut but luckly no money taken from by debit card.Ive just used my CC,overpaid by 2.5% but couldnt wait any longer FFS

Am just after topping up to see if there was an issue, transfer was instant,

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Would this card be any good if I wanted to buy something on a UK site that only accepted UK cards? Or is there any alternative for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Would this card be any good if I wanted to buy something on a UK site that only accepted UK cards? Or is there any alternative for that?

I've booked holidays in the UK on it plus bought golf eqpt and camera stuff from UK sites. Just load up your card with €s, exchamge into £stg and fire away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Aph2016 wrote: »
    What's the limit once verified?

Dunno if they're all the same but my top up limit is €30,000 a year

I'll never get near that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Hi all ,
    Just looking a bit of clarification on the bank features in Revolut.

Firstly mine is a UK revolut card so the process might be reversed if you know what i mean,anyways.

I also have a job that pays in € so i obv want to get that paid to me without the charges.
    The employer wants Sort code , account number and IBAN and BIC.
    Problem is i only have the SC and AC no in my UK main revolut , when i click on the euro then i only get the IBAN and BIC.

Would i be right in thinking that i could use the SC and AC from the UK tab and the IBAN and BIC from the Euro tab?

Very confusing but im sure someone will understand
    TYIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Hi all ,
    Just looking a bit of clarification on the bank features in Revolut.

Firstly mine is a UK revolut card so the process might be reversed if you know what i mean,anyways.

I also have a job that pays in € so i obv want to get that paid to me without the charges.
    The employer wants Sort code , account number and IBAN and BIC.
    Problem is i only have the SC and AC no in my UK main revolut , when i click on the euro then i only get the IBAN and BIC.

Would i be right in thinking that i could use the SC and AC from the UK tab and the IBAN and BIC from the Euro tab?

Very confusing but im sure someone will understand
    TYIA
    no you should stick with the euro ban & Bic, and just calculate the sort code and account number from that. Not mix the pound & euro ones

try this website: https://www.ibancalculator.com/iban_validieren.html

edit: also note that if your salary is greater than 30k per year (the usual limit with revolutionary) you'll have to request an increase in your annual limit. They will apparently look for copies of 3 payslips to confirm that it is salary (and you're not money laundering through them...)
    see the question: [font=futura-pt, 'Futura New', Futura, Avenir, sans-serif]How can I increase my annual top-up limits? [/font]
    [font=futura-pt, 'Futura New', Futura, Avenir, sans-serif]from: [/font]https://revolut.com/fi/faq

Dardania wrote: »
    no you should stick with the euro ban & Bic, and just calculate the sort code and account number from that. Not mix the pound & euro ones

try this website: https://www.ibancalculator.com/iban_validieren.html

Cheers for this , sorry if im missing something but how do i calculate the sort code and account number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

take the euro IBAN from revolut, and put it into the website I linked to.

That website will then break down what the sort code and account number is from that IBAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

There would not be a need to convert anything as the individual account numbers are different for each currency.

As you are resident of the UK your account most likely is a UK account which means that your primary account is a UK account and hence has no IBAN (as that is not needed for UK internal transfers). That account should not be used for € payments.

So the first thing you need to check if you have actually an individual € account in Revolut giving that you have a UK account.

Go into the "top up via bank transfer" and choose €. If you get a screen that shows you EUR account with an IBAN and BIC and your name as Beneficiary than you are good, if it shows Revolut as Beneficiary with a remark "Don't forget to enter this reference" than you don't have an individual € account and can not use Revolut to receive € yet. You might get the option to upgrade to an individual account, if so, take that option.

If you have your personal IBAN in that screen that that number together with the BIC is what you need to provide the company that will pay you in €. There is no account number / sort code needed, that is a miss-understanding, it's either account number / sort code for UK payments or IBAN for SEPA payments. Do not provide them the details out of the £ top up screen, those are only for £ payments via faster payments/BAC in the UK.

Dardania wrote: »
    take the euro IBAN from revolut, and put it into the website I linked to.

That website will then break down what the sort code and account number is from that IBAN

ah , apologies , i clicked the link and thought it was just to verify the IBAN.
    Thanks for this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Remember that Revolut is not a real bank account.
    My understanding is that it is not covered by any bank guarantee scheme.
    So I'd be wary about leaving a large dollop of cash in this account for more than a day or so.

I'd only leave what I am prepared to loose in Revolut.

If your employer will transfer to a real foreign bank account I'd use N26 which is
    guaranteed by the Bundesbank. If he won't transfer to a foreign bank you could still lodge your salary
    to Revolut and from there into the protected N26 account.

I'm pretty sure Revolut is solid but I keep remembering that pre crash phrase "As safe as the Bank Of Ireland".
    As such innocent times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Opps my statement about Revolut not been guaranteed may not be true.

According to Martin Lewis's MoneySavingExpert.com which is usually pretty reliable.

"Revolut's card provider Wirecard Card Solutions is regulated by the
    Financial Conduct Authority, meaning money you deposit is
    ring-fenced (in a Barclays account), so in the event there are
    problems with Revolut (or Wirecard), the money's safe."

There would not be a need to convert anything as the individual account numbers are different for each currency.

As you are resident of the UK your account most likely is a UK account which means that your primary account is a UK account and hence has no IBAN (as that is not needed for UK internal transfers). That account should not be used for € payments.

So the first thing you need to check if you have actually an individual € account in Revolut giving that you have a UK account.

Go into the "top up via bank transfer" and choose €. If you get a screen that shows you EUR account with an IBAN and BIC and your name as Beneficiary than you are good, if it shows Revolut as Beneficiary with a remark "Don't forget to enter this reference" than you don't have an individual € account and can not use Revolut to receive € yet. You might get the option to upgrade to an individual account, if so, take that option.

If you have your personal IBAN in that screen that that number together with the BIC is what you need to provide the company that will pay you in €. There is no account number / sort code needed, that is a miss-understanding, it's either account number / sort code for UK payments or IBAN for SEPA payments. Do not provide them the details out of the £ top up screen, those are only for £ payments via faster payments/BAC in the UK.

Sorry , im only seeing this now!
    Great advice , i have my name as the Beneficiary so happy days.
    As you say they have probably asked for SC and AC as most use a UK account.

Thanks for this

paddy19 wrote: »
    Opps my statement about Revolut not been guaranteed may not be true.

According to Martin Lewis's MoneySavingExpert.com which is usually pretty reliable.

"Revolut's card provider Wirecard Card Solutions is regulated by the
    Financial Conduct Authority, meaning money you deposit is
    ring-fenced (in a Barclays account), so in the event there are
    problems with Revolut (or Wirecard), the money's safe."

Revolut is issuing with electronic money (which is what you keep in your wallet even if it shows €/£ etc.).

And yes it is keept in ring-fenced accounts but that does not mean that you are getting the same protection you get with a real bank account covered by the bank guarantee.

For one under the bank guarantee you will get you money very quickly back, but under the e-money regulation its not as quick plus there are some loop holes, which makes it a rather complicated process. There are a lot of customer of another issuer that recently went bust (also a UK license) that are still looking for their money. So while it's there, its not as easy.

Don't keep more money in that account than you need and always have a back-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Is it possible to set this up with Android Pay and use it in America without getting the card or do you need the card to make point of sale purchases?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Don't keep more money in that account than you need and always have a back-up.

I was in the UK recently and went to a restaurant, when I got the bill I asked the server to pay by card. While she went for the card machine, I looked up the exchange amount and topped up in euro by that instantly.
    Benzino wrote: »
    Is it possible to set this up with Android Pay and use it in America without getting the card or do you need the card to make point of sale purchases?

Thanks.

As above, I actually used android pay to do the top up. One feature I really like is unlocking the app using my fingerprint reader and topping up with Android pay. It just makes it so practical to pay on the fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Thanks.
    Just for top ups not payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Guess I better get the card. I notice it's free delivery if you go premium, can you still get premium and cancel it before the first month ends, or have they closed that loop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

paddy19 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Revolut is solid but I keep remembering that pre crash phrase "As safe as the Bank Of Ireland".
    As such innocent times!

While I agree with the sentiment, nobody banking with BoI actually lost any of their deposits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Just a quick one, may have been answered before. I added my revolut to amazon.co.uk account and have bought a couple things trouble free through my card. Last night though they took £1 first and then the cost of the item. Amazon eu took the £1 and a few minutes later amazon.co.uk took the amount for the item. I was lucky to spot this and I added the extra £1 to my gbp account before they took.
    Anyone know why the extra £1 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just a quick one, may have been answered before. I added my revolut to amazon.co.uk account and have bought a couple things trouble free through my card. Last night though they took £1 first and then the cost of the item. Amazon eu took the £1 and a few minutes later amazon.co.uk took the amount for the item. I was lucky to spot this and I added the extra £1 to my gbp account before they took.

I had that the first time I used my card with them (and with a couple of other suppliers). It seems to be just to test the card as it was refunded a day or so later.

However you said you've used it on Amazon before so now I don't know what the purpose of it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Mine does this randomly - £1 here and there, but it's always removed. No idea why it does it either :confused: I understand first use, but who knows why it continues? I attached my card to Amazon uk as soon as I got the Revolut card, so maybe 2 years and many transactions ago?

Guess I better get the card. I notice it's free delivery if you go premium, can you still get premium and cancel it before the first month ends, or have they closed that loop?

If this is your first premium trial you get 4 weeks, but if you cancel during that 4 week you will get charged 10£ delivery charge for the premium card.

So if you need the card urgently it's cheaper to use the premium route (10£) versus express delivery for a standard (17£ altogether).

And once you cancel you trial (you need to remember , otherwise you are getting locked in for a year) you can continue using your premium card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

You can still get a card without going premium.

You'll have to delete the virtual card off your account first so there's no cards then add a physical card as your first free card.

You'll still have all the details on the app to use as a virtual card but you'll also be sent out a physical copy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement