Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Thanks for the information, very helpful. I need the card urgently, and the increased ATM withdrawal limit without charge is another good plus.

Just wasn't sure if you could still cancel within your first month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Why is it that my card still get's classed as a UK card? Can they not fix this? Was going to cost me a few quid extra with Ryanair as their systems kept automatically changing the price to a (higher) GBP price. Had to delete the Revolut card and use another irish visa debit card instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Unless RA have changed their system very recently, you can (with much difficulty) choose to pay in the currency of the card at RA's exchange rate (default) OR the currency of the departure airport using your bank's exchange rate.

As I understand it, Revolut is a UK-domiciled card - regardless of the currency accounts linked to it - so if you were trying to buy flights ex Dublin, RA would do all they can to get you to pay their exchange rate. You should still be able to find a link somewhere on the final payment page that lets you switch back to billing in Euros (it's something like "our currency policy" or another equally obscure phrase)

Edit: nope, still the same. Look for "Click here for more information" in the Your credit/debit cards section and untick the box in the window that pops up. I see their exchange rate today is 1€15-£1.00!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

While I agree with the sentiment, nobody banking with BoI actually lost any of their deposits.

Yes but only because the Irish taxpayer bailed the idiots out. I don't think anyone today would use that phrase, except in jest.

The phrase was used to highlight that banks are to be treated with caution. Revolut is not even a bank so even more caution is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Unless RA have changed their system very recently, you can (with much difficulty) choose to pay in the currency of the card at RA's exchange rate (default) OR the currency of the departure airport using your bank's exchange rate.

As I understand it, Revolut is a UK-domiciled card - regardless of the currency accounts linked to it - so if you were trying to buy flights ex Dublin, RA would do all they can to get you to pay their exchange rate. You should still be able to find a link somewhere on the final payment page that lets you switch back to billing in Euros (it's something like "our currency policy" or another equally obscure phrase)

Edit: nope, still the same. Look for "Click here for more information" in the Your credit/debit cards section and untick the box in the window that pops up. I see their exchange rate today is 1€15-£1.00!

I noticed this too when booking from Dublin! The option is hidden away but you can change it indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Been trying to buy a phone from Three Irelands website and the card keeps getting rejected on payment. First time I ever had an issue with this card.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Been trying to buy a phone from Three Irelands website and the card keeps getting rejected on payment. First time I ever had an issue with this card.

Probably because the card is coded as a UK card and the 3 IE website will only accept Irish cards. Have had the same problem with the Bus Éireann website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Quackster wrote: »
    Probably because the card is coded as a UK card and the 3 IE website will only accept Irish cards. Have had the same problem with the Bus Éireann website.
    Bus Éireann - a service used every day by foreign tourists - doesn't accept non-Irish cards? Bizarre. :confused:

Got the card today, premium delivery was very fast. Are the card security features instant? If I enable magstripe for example is there a delay before I can use that feature?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Benzino wrote: »
    Got the card today, premium delivery was very fast. Are the card security features instant? If I enable magstripe for example is there a delay before I can use that feature?

Card security features are instant. I literally enable my card just before making a transaction.

• Advertisement

Card security features are instant. I literally enable my card just before making a transaction.

Makes you wonder why all banks don't do this, would help to drastically reduce fraud I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Benzino wrote: »

Makes you wonder why all banks don't do this, would help to drastically reduce fraud I'd imagine.

Indeed I wonder the same myself, having used the feature multiple times during transactions too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

carrotcake wrote: »
    Bus Éireann - a service used every day by foreign tourists - doesn't accept non-Irish cards? Bizarre. :confused:

Apparently you can't top up a leap card with a N26 card, as it is a foreign card too. There is no logic sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Apparently you can't top up a leap card with a N26 card, as it is a foreign card too. There is no logic sometimes

You certainly can with N26.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Savman wrote: »

You certainly can with N26.

It'sthe auto top up for the leap card that you can't do with N26. Leap card refuse to accept a non Irish IBAN for direct debits even though that's against EU regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Sono

Friend of mine looking to buy a car in the uk for £12,500 and paying for it on the revolut card, is this alright to do in one transaction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Card spending is limited to £5,000 in a 96 hour period.

https://revolut.com/ie/faq#are-there-limits-to-my-revolut-account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Sono

Card spending is limited to £5,000 in a 96 hour period.

https://revolut.com/ie/faq#are-there-limits-to-my-revolut-account

Thanks for that appreciate the response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

ATM's independent of their location are charged if you go over the 200€ monthly limit and if the ATM is located in Ireland you are also charged the 12 cent tax.

If you mean cashback at the check-out than in theory you should not see a charge, however I don't know if you can use the Revolut card for cash-back, have not tried. Maybe someone else can report?

Just wondering if anyone ever tried this. Buying goods as above, and looking for cash back at the till on Revolut. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I tried to get cash back in the uk once but to of no avail

Never tried it in Ireland though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

If somebody wants to send me some money I'll try it out for them :)

I don't remembered ever asking but I don't see why not.
    On the other hand, I would presume that if it had the option, you would be able to disable cash back in security setting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Per T & C's

3.5 ..... "There is no cash back facility."

https://revolut.com/cardholder-terms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

paddy19 wrote: »
    Per T & C's

3.5 ..... "There is no cash back facility."

https://revolut.com/cardholder-terms

Thanks Pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

Heh guys,

So have to order a card for my revolut account, I'm reading mixed reviews here so can anyone answer.

If I sign up to premium and the first month free and order a card can I cancel premium service after receive card and still be able use card? Or will they charge me 12 months premium?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

brendan86 wrote: »
    Heh guys,

So have to order a card for my revolut account, I'm reading mixed reviews here so can anyone answer.

If I sign up to premium and the first month free and order a card can I cancel premium service after receive card and still be able use card? Or will they charge me 12 months premium?

Thanks

I asked this a while back.
    If your a new customer then just order a standard card , it will be around a fiver and come with NFC
    If you already have a card and order one with the premium and then cancel they will then charge you for the card
    This is how it was explained to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    I asked this a while back.
    If your a new customer then just order a standard card , it will be around a fiver and come with NFC
    If you already have a card and order one with the premium and then cancel they will then charge you for the card
    This is how it was explained to me

Any idea what that works out as? From what I can see it seems to be €12 for a standard card plus delivery if you order an add-on card.

Its €10 for the premium card but I don't know if that includes also paying a €6 delivery fee if you then cancel the premium service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Anyway way to a get contactless card for free. Mine doesn't have contactless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

machalla wrote: »
    Any idea what that works out as? From what I can see it seems to be €12 for a standard card plus delivery if you order an add-on card.

Its €10 for the premium card but I don't know if that includes also paying a €6 delivery fee if you then cancel the premium service.

I dunno where you are getting them prices from? In my app a standard card cost €6 and the premium is free.

So what I did was sign up for premium (First month free) I ordered the platinum card free. It is due to arrive today. When I receive card I will cancel my premium service and keep the card.

I don't know how much they will charge me for card once I cancel my premium services hopefully under €10. I don't mind paying the extra couple of euro if I have to, I get a fancier card and also has contactless. (Maybe standard card also has contactless I dont know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you during your premium trial order a premium card you will be charged 10£ when you contact them to cancel your trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

brendan86 wrote: »
    <snip>(Maybe standard card also has contactless I dont know)
    Yep, it does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement