Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

If you during your premium trial order a premium card you will be charged 10£ when you contact them to cancel your trial.

I see, thats fine have to pay a extra €5 for a fancier card so looks like :o

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

irishgeo wrote: »
    Anyway way to a get contactless card for free. Mine doesn't have contactless.

Unfortunately no, I don't think there is any way for free. I'm in the same boat. It was mentioned that android/apple pay is on the radar but I got the impression that it was still a little out. That would be a good way of providing contactless functionality to users who don't currently have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Negative_G

I am curious to see if anyone has done similar.

I am planning on making a large transfer (over £10k) to a UK business in the coming weeks. The exchange rates by revolut are far superior to the bank.

I plan on topping up my Revolut account with the euro balance, and transferring it to sterling and making the transfer.

I'm cautious of having a large amount of currency on it but surely if I disable the card and enable all the security procedures it should be quite secure until I make the transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Negative_G wrote: »
    I am curious to see if anyone has done similar.

I am planning on making a large transfer (over £10k) to a UK business in the coming weeks. The exchange rates by revolut are far superior to the bank.

I plan on topping up my Revolut account with the euro balance, and transferring it to sterling and making the transfer.

I'm cautious of having a large amount of currency on it but surely if I disable the card and enable all the security procedures it should be quite secure until I make the transfer.
    Sounds ok, but bear in mind that there is a limit of €6000 per month for free exchanges. After that you are charged 0.5%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

a.) Check you current limit More - Profile - Verification & Limits

b.) Be prepared to show paperwork related to the transaction (Source of funds, reason for transfer) just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Negative_G

carrotcake wrote: »
    Sounds ok, but bear in mind that there is a limit of €6000 per month for free exchanges. After that you are charged 0.5%.

I see that, even to exchange €10,000 to sterling would only cost €20 which is excellent.
    a.) Check you current limit More - Profile - Verification & Limits

b.) Be prepared to show paperwork related to the transaction (Source of funds, reason for transfer) just in case

I've completed all identification verification steps to date so my limit is €30,000. I won't be going anywhere near that but I will have evidence to hand just in case. I hadn't considered that to be fair. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

When i did this i found i had to make several smaller payments , AFAIK i can only spend £3000 per transaction but not 100% sure , i know i had to stagger payments to buy a car.

Spent 4 months travelling with my revolut and it saved me an absolute fortune. Few issues though:

Too many down periods where transactions don't work.

Disabling a card doesn't stop all transactions - Had a dispute with car rental company. Blocked card while I was in regular contact with the manager proving my case and they managed to take the pre-authorised deposit plus a considerable amount extra. Eventually got a refund but disabled should mean just that. Also, VERY slow with regards to chargebacks.

All my saved cards were deleted without my knowledge and the support couldn't understand why.

Contactless has slowed and occasionally wont register.

As I said though, saved a fortune and maxed the £25k limit. Just have cash and/or a back-up card.

Now using Starling bank instead. Almost identical rates, never had or heard of any down time, nicer card, similar app, android/apple pay. Just for UK & Ireland now AFAIK. The budgeting and marketplace are interesting additions. Only downsides are a 2 week wait for a code to start. I found one on twitter in a few minutes or friends/family can share 5 each. I've a few left if anyone wants one, pm me. I get nothing for it btw. Also a £250 debit card deposit limit per day. Bank transfer showed up within seconds though. Might depend on your bank. Also, exchange only occurs when you use it, you cant buy up foreign currency when you feel the rate's good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Spent 4 months travelling with my revolut and it saved me an absolute fortune. Few issues though:

Too many down periods where transactions don't work.

Disabling a card doesn't stop all transactions - Had a dispute with car rental company. Blocked card while I was in regular contact with the manager proving my case and they managed to take the pre-authorised deposit plus a considerable amount extra.  Eventually got a refund but disabled should mean just that. Also, VERY slow with regards to chargebacks.

All my saved cards were deleted without my knowledge and the support couldn't understand why.

Contactless has slowed and occasionally wont register.

As I said though, saved a fortune and maxed the £25k limit. Just have cash and/or a back-up card.

Now using Starling bank instead. Almost identical rates, never had or heard of any down time, nicer card, similar app, android/apple pay. Just for UK & Ireland now AFAIK. The budgeting and marketplace are interesting additions. Only downsides are a 2 week wait for a code to start. I found one on twitter in a few minutes or friends/family can share 5 each.  I've a few left if anyone wants one, pm me. I get nothing for it btw. Also a £250 debit card deposit limit per day. Bank transfer showed up within seconds though. Might depend on your bank.  Also, exchange only occurs when you use it, you cant buy up foreign currency when you feel the rate's good
    very interesting - would love to give it a go, although is the app in the ireland appstore?

Dardania wrote: »
    very interesting - would love to give it a go, although is the app in the ireland appstore?

I'm based in the UK so not too sure. I found easily on the Play Store

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's not unfortunately.

Apologies, speaking to someone on the in-app chat and its not gone live in the South just yet. Good for Norn Iron though.
    Will message back with a date when I hear

Now using Starling bank instead. Almost identical rates, never had or heard of any down time, nicer card, similar app, android/apple pay. Just for UK & Ireland now AFAIK.

You are lucky, it seams to be that Starling denies that Ireland is currently even in beta testing.

I send you a PM, in hopes you still have a code.

Apologies, speaking to someone on the in-app chat and its not gone live in the South just yet. Good for Norn Iron though.
    Keep us in your good books for an oul code then!

Keep us in your good books for an oul code then!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Hi All

Please forgive me but I can't bring myself to go through 300 pages of info to find the answer to my query.

I wish to apply for a service which is only available to UK CC holders. I have been advised that it is possible to do this through Revolut.

How do I go about this? Do I just apply using a false UK address? If so, how do I top up my account? I believe I need to top up from an account with the same address details.

Any help greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

maximus02 wrote: »
    Hi All

Please forgive me but I can't bring myself to go through 300 pages of info to find the answer to my query.

I wish to apply for a service which is only available to UK CC holders. I have been advised that it is possible to do this through Revolut.

How do I go about this? Do I just apply using a false UK address? If so, how do I top up my account? I believe I need to top up from an account with the same address details.

Any help greatly appreciated.

If it's just to get a Revolut card all you need is your Irish address. You don't have to pretend you live in the UK. I think the reason it might work for you is that Revolut cards appear to be the same currency card as the one you are transacting in. So if you are purchasing a service in the UK and it wants a UK card it will see a UK card if you get me. Maybe see if it works by just getting the virtual card at the moment. It won't cost you anything to do that. It only costs you if you want to get a physical card (€6 postage).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

"I wish to apply for a service which is only available to UK CC holders."

It really depends on how the service you want check for it's UK CC requirement.

It could simply check the card for the bank.
    It varies by card but a number of first digits identify the bank.

I believe that Revolut is seen as a UK bank.

You will probably have to use a UK forwarding address like Parcel Motel, DPD or An Post.

Not sure how that will work with Revolut.

Alternative is Entropay which do not cross check name or address you use. Very expensive at 5% of funds transferred.

I use revolut with iTunes UK, and so far it's working using Revoluts address

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Are you using an Irish address or a false UK address for Revolut? If a UK address did you just make one up? Thanks

• Advertisement

maximus02 wrote: »

Are you using an Irish address or a false UK address for Revolut? If a UK address did you just make one up? Thanks

I use Revoluts address in the U.K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

A couple of times in the US I was asked did I want to pay in dollars or UK Sterling

Obviously I chose dollars but it may hint that the cards are coded to be British

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Dodge wrote: »
    A couple of times in the US I was asked did I want to pay in dollars or UK Sterling

Obviously I chose dollars but it may hint that the cards are coded to be British

Yup, whenever I use it as chip & pin in Ireland it pops up with the option to choose between GBP or EURO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Have they added some new step to the Verification process ,its now looking for proof that you reside within the EEA .

1.A picture of the front and back of your residence card or visa

What the hell is that ?

Zardoz wrote: »
    Have they added some new step to the Verification process ,its now looking for proof that you reside within the EEA .

What the hell is that ?

I think my wife satisfied that one by showing a bill in her name. It is new - I don't remember doing it.

By the way, Revolut working perfectly in Croatia for me - shame many shops are still cash

Zardoz wrote: »

What the hell is that ?

Are you an EEA citizen?

If not, they might want to get proof that you are a legal resident in the country you are having your mailing address in.

If yes, go back to them and tell them that you don't need a visa or residence permit and just provide them with typical proof of address via utility bill etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Hello.
    An atm took my Visa Debit card from Ulster Bank this morning.Does anyone know how Ulster Bank treats topups from Revolut app,as cash advances or normal purchases.I need to up my Revolut but cant do normal transfer as debit card is need it for that ulster bank reader to add international payment so my only option is credit card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Are you an EEA citizen?

Yes ,of course I am .

I redid my passport and photo this morning and it worked fine ,it must have been some glitch last night ,very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hello.
    An atm took my Visa Debit card from Ulster Bank this morning.Does anyone know how Ulster Bank treats topups from Revolut app,as cash advances or normal purchases.I need to up my Revolut but cant do normal transfer as debit card is need it for that ulster bank reader to add international payment so my only option is credit card
    Not with Ulster Bank but with AIB it appears on the statement as a regular purchase, can't imagine it would be any different with UB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Same with BOI. It goes through as a regular purchase

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement