Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's the same as any other card in terms of fees (up to $200) i.e. free. The individual ATM may charge a fee or not, ones attached to banks generally won't while third party ones in shops probably will.

It's not the same as other bank cards up to 200 euro as other cards all charge a significant fee for ATM withdrawals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's not the same as other bank cards up to 200 euro as other cards all charge a significant fee for ATM withdrawals.
    That's a currency conversion fee though rather than a specific ATM fee, though the rate may be higher for a withdrawal than a purchase.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

That's a currency conversion fee though rather than a specific ATM fee, though the rate may be higher for a withdrawal than a purchase.

No, there's generally no currency conversion fee. You get the interbank rate, except at weekends. There is an ATM withdrawal fee of 1% once you exceed €200 in a calendar month.

Most ATMs in the US also charge a fee, which is a completely separate matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

brijay wrote: »
    Hi, plan on going to America for the next 2 months would it ideal be using this card for the next 2 months or ?

Just back from 2 weeks US holiday . Had no issues with any vendors . Linked it to PayPal and then PayPal to Lyft which worked great . Only small issue I had was that I kept the card frozen and only unfroze to use and twice I had trouble getting data signal on phone , but that's more my issue than theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Quackster wrote: »
    No, there's generally no currency conversion fee. You get the interbank rate, except at weekends. There is an ATM withdrawal fee of 1% once you exceed €200 in a calendar month.

Most ATMs in the US also charge a fee, which is a completely separate matter.
    The currency conversion fee is what is normally charged with non-Revolut cards, I'm making the point that most banks (here anyway) don't charge a specific ATM fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Got my new visa card due to TFL issue on Thursday. I now have a mastercard and visa Revolut card.

Handy to have a spare card.

The currency conversion fee is what is normally charged with non-Revolut cards, I'm making the point that most banks (here anyway) don't charge a specific ATM fee.

It's a fee for using the card at the end of the day what they call the fee is fairly irrelevant. The ATM fee is higher than the POS fee also, it's around 3 euro minimum charge per transaction with BOI for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Used this a couple of years ago in the states and it was unlimited fee free ATM withdrawals back then. So it's only free for the first $200 now?

2 questions. Is it free (with no limits) to use it to purchase things at the tills over there? Secondly, is it free to send as much as you want to someone's PayPal account, or even directly to an American bank account? I'll get my cash that way via relatives if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Yep - use chip & pin all you like.

There is a 0.5% surcharge on exchange rates if you spend above 6k in a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Got my new visa card due to TFL issue on Thursday. I now have a mastercard and visa Revolut card.

This.

Any benefit of one over the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Wheety wrote: »
    Delta2113 wrote: »

This.

Any benefit of one over the other?

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that the MasterCard isn't recognised electronically as a prepaid card, so it's possible to put pre-authorisations on it. Whereas the visa is apparently. I don't know , but am travelling next week so will test the theory in a hotel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dardania wrote: »
    Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that the MasterCard isn't recognised electronically as a prepaid card, so it's possible to put pre-authorisations on it. Whereas the visa is apparently. I don't know , but am travelling next week so will test the theory in a hotel

I’ve used the MasterCard Revolut with a few hotels now with pre-authorisation. No problems so far

Also above someone said they linked PayPal with Lyft. I linked the card directly with Lyft and Uber. Again no issues

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

My existing Revolut MasterCard and Visa have 'Prepaid' printed on the back but my new Visa doesn't. Not sure if this amounts to anything though.

All three working away fine in my Revolut app anyway so happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Delta2113

My New Revolut Visa Card has Prepaid printed on back in bottom left hand corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

So I've been thinking of getting this or some pre paid card
    But I want one where I can lodge cash onto it physically myself
    I don't want a digital record of any transactions

I've discovered of late that PayPal are listing on my bank statement
    Money I transferred to paddy power

I used always use the for the express purpose that it used to say just PayPal

I'd actually prefer a prepaid card that there's no connection to me at all with

But I'm not sure if there is one on the market here ??

Does anyone have any advice on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

ayatollah wrote: »

Place your Paddy Power bets instore with cash if you want to minimise your digital footprint!

You can not lodge cash to your revolut card... only bank transfer or debit/credit card top up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Revolut card cannot be used for gambling sites. Money laundering laws are very strict. You won't get any card that doesn't require a bunch of paperwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

Having trouble topping up card now anyone else having trouble since app updated 2day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

There is a wide spread visa outage.

There is also a notification in the app about top ups by card not working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Back to MasterCard :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Easy enough. You can activate the euro account to have an Iban and bic, in the app. And you just transfer to that from your conventional bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭bren2002

Plenty of prepaid cards out there, 3v and others.
    Your best option is probably sepa payment to PayPal and the draw the funds from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

irishgeo wrote: »
    Revolut card cannot be used for gambling sites. <SNIP>
    Works with Paddypower, Betfair & Boylesports. Also works on Lottoland.ie What sites did you fail on?

Patww79 wrote: »

What do you have to do to get that? It told me I was eligible there this evening but I just keep getting a 'something went wrong' error when I try.[/quote]

They have changed the interface a bit since I set my one up, but I’m guessing you need to tap your balance in the app, and it should show you the option to activate your account at the bottom of the screen that comes up.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement