Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Why are people raving about Google Pay?.. I know it means you use your phone to pay, but I find that very inconvenient, I find the Card is much more convenient, am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Why are people raving about Google Pay?.. I know it means you use your phone to pay, but I find that very inconvenient, I find the Card is much more convenient, am I missing something?
    You're missing the nerd appeal - it's real.
    We'll try justify it for all sorts of practical reasons, but really it boils down to it being a new toy that let's us use our technology in a different, more exciting way. Think of people with modified cars, or putting a new deck in the back garden - it's new and exciting.
    Being honest (or just justifying it!) I use Apple Pay with N26, and it is a bit easier to pay using the Apple Watch - I don't have to fumble through my pockets etc. That no-fumbling business might appeal to some with Google Pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

It means I can leave wallet at home if I'm just popping out for a few things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Plus the contactless limit on your phone is much higher than the card. Can pay for things like a full tank of petrol etc.

Also the phone is more secure (fingerprint). Contactless cards have little security if stolen, unless you discover the theft in time.

Roll on Apple Pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Apple & Google Pay also generate a virtual card number, so you're not leaving your actual physical card number all over the place when you tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

it also keeps track of what you spend better than contactless with a card.

You look on your recent transactions after contactless and there's nothing there till the day after and you just get a short version of the business name. On google pay you get it plotted on a map with their business name.. handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Heading to Krakow in Sept. I can withdraw up to €200 fee free so about 800 PLN approx €185.

I'll be withdrawing on a Sat.

Am I right in saying I should buy PLN before the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Heading to Krakow in Sept. I can withdraw up to €200 fee free so about 800 PLN approx €185.

I'll be withdrawing on a Sat.

Am I right in saying I should buy PLN before the weekend?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

august12 wrote: »
    I am holding off until revolut has a bank guarantee, if it went belly up, then your funds are not guaranteed at present, as far as I know anyway, I use the card/app but only transfer money in when I need it,

I put my savings in the credit union anyway,worsr case scenario I lose a wks wages with Revolut if it goes under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I put my savings in the credit union anyway,worsr case scenario I lose a wks wages with Revolut if it goes under.

Another poster confirmed the bank is regulated in the UK, can anyone confirm this and does this cover non UK resident funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Meself

Folks.. tried asking this question on their 'online help' section but it looks like it's an automated service so no joy.

Im looking to cash in shares held in a UK brokerage a/c. Was about to instruct to send to my bank here in ireland but the cross border fee is off the wall (almost 500!).

Am I right in thinking that I can send it to revolut's GB account and then transfer to irish a.c ??

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Meself wrote: »
    Folks.. tried asking this question on their 'online help' section but it looks like it's an automated service so no joy.

Im looking to cash in shares held in a UK brokerage a/c. Was about to instruct to send to my bank here in ireland but the cross border fee is off the wall (almost 500!).

Am I right in thinking that I can send it to revolut's GB account and then transfer to irish a.c ??

Thanks

Absolutely. Just be sure to use your unique Revolut sterling IBAN which you can find in the app rather than the generic sterling IBAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Meself wrote:

Meself wrote:

Meself wrote:

Had a refund yesterday from a UK company for £300 and used the UK bank account number in revolut. It was lodged in my account in less than a hour from replying to them with my details. Was shocked how quick it was.

Quackster wrote: »

Thanks

Absolutely. Just be sure to use your unique Revolut sterling IBAN which you can find in the app rather than the generic sterling IBAN.

Great thanks for that.

Yeh had a look. I assume you mean the ref number that they ask you to use along with the UK ibaN

Great thanks for that.

Yeh had a look. I assume you mean the ref number that they ask you to use along with the UK ibaN

No, sorry I shouldn't have said IBAN in my previous post. That's the generic UK IBAN that you need to use a reference with. That's intented for receiving sterling payments from outside the UK on the SWIFT system.

You should use your unique sterling account number which you'll find by clicking on MORE > PROFILE > ACCOUNT DETAILS > GBP and then clicking on the LOCAL tab. The beneficiary name is your own name rather than Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

You should use your unique sterling account number which you'll find by clicking on MORE > PROFILE > ACCOUNT DETAILS > GBP and then clicking on the LOCAL tab. The beneficiary name is your own name rather than Revolut.

Yes its important for third party transfers that you use the account details where YOUR OWN NAME is the beneficiary NOT anything with Revolut and a reference number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Patww79 wrote: »

Thats normal for behaviour for a 'pending' transaction. If its still pending after a few days you can be pretty sure it will disappear within 10 working days. Pending means the transaction wasn't finalised and will eventually revert. If I was you I'd wait another week and see if disappears - it more than likely will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Patww79 wrote: »
    Any way to cancel a payment on these or does it have to be done from the end of the person receiving the money?

I ordered a takeaway last Monday but the restaurant couldn't fulfill the order and it was cancelled. The €40 never came back to my card and despite numerous tales from the restaurant that they'd contact the payment company that they use to refund me I've got nothing back. The payment is just hanging and 'pending' since then but it's unavailable to my balance.

If it's still pending then it should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Is there a chance that revenue could consider this a UK account and it create hassle down the road if large sums of money were moving through it. I know someone who used the IBAN to transfer funds to a UK account and it worked quicker as it was UK based?

msmx5 wrote: »

Yes its important for third party transfers that you use the account details where YOUR OWN NAME is the beneficiary NOT anything with Revolut and a reference number.
    OK that makes sense. I tried registering my UK account details with the online brokerage a/c and it keeps asking for an ibaN number ? Now I thought because it's within the UK that I only needed my account number and BIC but no; it keeps asking for an ibaN .

There is an ibaN number but the beneficiary is revolut and not myself.

Is there a simple way to find out the ibaN

OK that makes sense. I tried registering my UK account details with the online brokerage a/c and it keeps asking for an ibaN number ? Now I thought because it's within the UK that I only needed my account number and BIC but no; it keeps asking for an ibaN .

Yep, you can generate an IBAN from the account number and sort code:

https://www.ibancalculator.com/bic_und_iban.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Delta2113

On Friday I used my card in a Pub locally and when I checked the transaction it says a pub in town. Also another pub I regularly use my card in I have checked and the transaction's are showing differently. Anyone else notice anything happening with transactions being labelled wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Delta2113 wrote: »
    On Friday I used my card in a Pub locally and when I checked the transaction it says a pub in town. Also another pub I regularly use my card in I have checked and the transaction's are showing differently. Anyone else notice anything happening with transactions being labelled wrong?

I have had a couple of instances where I tried to pay with my revolut and it was declined and I get a notification to say "location does not match merchants". Happens alot in my local, its a pain in the hole to be honest. Not sure if it's the same issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Delta2113

No the card work's fine its just the name off pubs. It's telling me a name off a pub in town - completely wrong. You should turn off your location in card security if you have it turned on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Love revolut. Just be aware it didn't work in my post office. Maybe because its a UK card.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The ability to remotely turn off contactless, Swipe or atm is what every bank should offer. In case you lose your card.

Yep, you can generate an IBAN from the account number and sort code:

https://www.ibancalculator.com/bic_und_iban.html

Ah perfect. Thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The ability to remotely turn off contactless, Swipe or atm is what every bank should offer. In case you lose your card.

I love this feature. Surely all the banks will be trying to add this to their apps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement