Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Hrududu wrote: »
    I love this feature. Surely all the banks will be trying to add this to their apps.

You'd think that, but the traditional banking system looks 1950's compared to what revolut came in and done in a few short years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Delta2113 wrote: »
    No the card work's fine its just the name off pubs. It's telling me a name off a pub in town - completely wrong. You should turn off your location in card security if you have it turned on.
    Which town? Could be the same owners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

TheChizler wrote: »
    Which town? Could be the same owners?

pubs are often called something completely different than the pubs name. could be odd like happy taverns ltd and based in an office.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Love revolut. Just be aware it didn't work in my post office. Maybe because its a UK card.

No, it's because An Post only accepts debit cards and Revolut isn't recognised as one (as it's a prepaid card).

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭KingPuck

I would guess that it's the registered business name or some derivative of the business that owns the pub coming up on your screen rather than the actual name of the pub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Delta2113

They have done something big with the transaction's. My old transactions are different. I made a donation for Movember and this is now showing as Ballsbridge medical centre - mad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Great analytics. Apparently, I spent a lot in "restaurants" lol!

I'd imagine it's handy if you have teenage children, you can get additional cards and preload them with credit..

Safer than handing them a bunch of cash, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭housetypeb

I'd imagine it's handy if you have teenage children, you can get additional cards and preload them with credit..

Safer than handing them a bunch of cash, eh?

That's what I do with my two teenagers,gave them each a card and I never need to worry that they're stuck somewhere with no money when they're out and about.
    Is it possible to add their (my) cards to google pay and apple pay on their phones or is it locked to my phone for security reasons?

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

Yes reckon it's the same issue I'm having. It's nothing to do with same company or same owners. It's telling me I was drinking in Madigans pub on Friday when I was in Dublin 8.

This could become an issue if you shared an account with a Partner for example.

housetypeb wrote: »
    That's what I do with my two teenagers,gave they each a card and I never need to worry that they're stuck somewhere with no money when they're out and about.
    Is it possible to add their (my) cards to google pay and apple pay on their phones or is it locked to my phone for security reasons?

I don't know, anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Delta2113 wrote: »
    It's telling me I was drinking in Madigans pub on Friday when I was in Dublin 8.

And where were you in reality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

I don't know, anyone?

As far as I know you can but its limited to about 10 devices.

I don't understand why people would use revolut and Google pay together. What is the advantage over revolut card alone?

I haven't used Google pay at all, don't want to be dependent on my phone battery. Is the analytics as good as revolut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I don't understand why people would use revolut and Google pay together. What is the advantage over revolut card alone?

I use Revolut as a “second bank account” so to speak. I put my spending money on it for the week (€200). The reason I’d love Apple Pay (and I believe it’s coming) is simple;

it’s another way to pay,
    it’s more secure than using your card number at shops who if they get hacked your card number is there (if they are storing numbers in plain text),
    Apple Pay is on my watch so if I’m out doing a run/bike ride I have my payment cards with me with out carrying a wallet.

I travel a lot so Revolut is my go-to card for paying for things in foreign currency. I have my kbc card in Apple Pay meaning I can top up my Revolut card with that card instantly and then if I was able to use Revolut with Apple Pay would be great.

Oh not to mention Apple Pay isn’t limited to €30 like contactless cards.

I haven’t used google pay but I assume it’s similar as it’s based off the same technology.

Also you’re not dependant on your phone battery. Apple/google pay is supplementary to your normal card. At the moment one can’t exist without the other (we’ll they can but not many banks or providers do so yet)

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    And where were you in reality?

Pub in Dublin 8 and I use the card here everyweek and it was always correct, it either named the pub correctly or the business name. Revolut must have done something on Friday and old transactions have changed as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads what are the main benefits to revolut vs just using a debit card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

What’s the story with large transactions? 20k I’m looking to buy a car in the Uk, has anyone done this or similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

phobia2011 wrote: »
    What’s the story with large transactions? 20k I’m looking to buy a car in the Uk, has anyone done this or similar?

Over a certain amount there is a small fee. Not sure what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Someone tried to scam my revolut card on Friday night. They put through a number of transactions at dummy locations in the US. Luckily I only had about 4 quid on it. I was over there in June, it must've been copied somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

bromley52 wrote: »
    Over a certain amount there is a small fee. Not sure what it is.

Would there be any issue in paying out that amount in one transaction? Paying 20k with card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Would there be any issue in paying out that amount in one transaction? Paying 20k with card?

https://www.revolut.com/ie/fairusage
    "Currency exchange transactions
    Free currency exchange transactions up to £5,000/€5,000 per month.
    Anything over is charged 0.5%"

Don't know if there's a single transaction limit. RTFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

phobia2011 wrote:

I bought a car in Belfast few weeks ago. I done a wire transfer for £11200 it wouldn't transfer till I converted to pounds from euros. No issue there following day.

I bought from a main dealer one year warranty. I didn't test drive the car till I arrived at garage monies were paid. I had been in discussion with them car was low mileage and the car originated from them to the owner had traded up.

They sent me a video of the car and all details I required. I knew the car what I wanted to buy and on inspection that morning happy to sign the paperwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

My main bank PTSB doesn't support Google Pay yet.
    Hence Revolut with Google Pay

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement