Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

long_b wrote: »
    My main bank PTSB doesn't support Google Pay yet.
    Hence Revolut with Google Pay

Sure, but why not just use the revolut card?
    Am I missing something by not using Google pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Sure, but why not just use the revolut card?
    Am I missing something by not using Google pay?

Leave the wallet at home, just bring your phone or watch

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Leave the wallet at home, just bring your phone or watch

I see. Def makes sense for the watch. That's a killer use case for smart watches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Patww79 wrote: »
    You can also add all those loyalty and gift cards to Google Pay but I don't know how they work. Presumably there's some advantage to adding them though.

I added a Tesco and Costa loyalty card to Google Pay but I fail to see the advantage, for Tesco the till person had to read the full member number off the screen of the app, if thats the case this number could simply be stored in my notepad app or on a piece of paper in my wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I originally thought it would do the clubcard scan and the purchase in one go or there's little point in it. Doesn't work at all anyway.
    Google pay has the ability to send the club card number via the terminal but Tesco haven't implemented that yet it seems. Very little info online about any sort of loyalty card integration.

Most places can scan from the screen so it's a handy way to offload most of your cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I added a Tesco and Costa loyalty card to Google Pay but I fail to see the advantage, for Tesco the till person had to read the full member number off the screen of the app, if thats the case this number could simply be stored in my notepad app or on a piece of paper in my wallet.

Use Stocard on Android app instead and they just scan the barcode. You can have it prompt you when in the relevant store using geolocation. I dont carry any store/loyalty cards anymore.

Also available on iOS if anyone is interested:> Install on iOS

DBSbjxP6w6Q3avd5voeDGwwQiZbeN_0136y6K02ACjFcFKzfzN2RDfi6VtQEIf8o4eUc=w720-h310

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

TheChizler wrote: »
    Google pay has the ability to send the club card number via the terminal but Tesco haven't implemented that yet it seems.

Tesco introduced contactless Clubcards in the UK months ago but nothing of the sort here yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Davy wrote: »
    Use Stocard on Android app instead and they just scan the barcode. You can have it prompt you when in the relevant store using geolocation. I dont carry any store/loyalty cards anymore.

None of the Tesco, Dunnes or SuperValu stores I frequent have the ability to scan barcodes from screens. Only in Topaz have I been able to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Love revolut. Just be aware it didn't work in my post office. Maybe because its a UK card.

Was told it is because it's technically a credit card, why they don't accept them I don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Same here with Stocard. Great idea in theory, but so many times I've been caught because the scanners won't read the barcode on screen. The teller has to type in the number. Painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

maximoose wrote: »
    Was told it is because it's technically a credit card, why they don't accept them I don't know

It's not a credit card. you can't spend money you don't have on the card.

It's a prepaid debit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Same here with Stocard. Great idea in theory, but so many times I've been caught because the scanners won't read the barcode on screen. The teller has to type in the number. Painful.

Have you had screen on full brightness. I use Pocket Barcode and never have any issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

maximoose wrote: »

It's not a credit card. you can't spend money you don't have on the card.

It's a prepaid debit card.

It's coded as a credit card. The post office doesn't accept credit cards for some reason. So it doesn't work at the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Yup if you look at the card itslef it's labelled as a Visa card, not as Visa Debit. Same for the mastercard version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

my mastercard one says debit in the foil logo and PREPAID on the back of the card. Obviously they've changed their cards (even within mastercard issued ones). They really shouldn't be coded as a credit card as they don't affect your credit rating and or don't need to be in good credit standing to be offered one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Quackster wrote: »
    None of the Tesco, Dunnes or SuperValu stores I frequent have the ability to scan barcodes from screens. Only in Topaz have I been able to do so.

Dunnes on Georges Street accepts my clubcard from the Google Pay app. Google Pay brightens the screen automatically when you choose a "Pass". Although it has failed to work in other Dunnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Quackster wrote: »
    Tesco introduced contactless Clubcards in the UK months ago but nothing of the sort here yet.
    Thanks for the info. I noticed the message saying to present your clubcard on the terminal screen appeared a few months back but wouldn't detect your clubcard when it was open in the app, presumably they have some software in common but didn't configure it for here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 that_other_guy

Have you had screen on full brightness. I use Pocket Barcode and never have any issues

It's only the very latest scanners (using image processing) that can read barcodes from a screen. Older laser based scanners cannot read a barcode from a screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Got the card.. Heading to US soon.. any tips for using this card there from ye experts? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yup if you look at the card itslef it's labelled as a Visa card, not as Visa Debit. Same for the mastercard version

The craziest thing is that the post office won't take a credit card in this day and age.
    it's a shame - at one stage they were pretty good technologically, quite forward thinking. They ran the cross country network for BOI's original ATMs I think, and have the FX card etc. 
    Maybe there's some obscure bye-law governing their mandate that people must pay for their services in full at the counter driving this (might have been to prevent country post mistresses extending credits to their friends)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

@keano25
    In the USA, I think some machines, public transport, etc, will ask for
    ZIP Code
    Then try 99999 0r 00000, this was 2 years ago in my case

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

dohouch wrote: »
    @keano25
    In the USA, I think some machines, public transport, etc, will ask for Then try 99999 0r 00000, this was 2 years ago in my case

Thanks that's good to know!

Obviously I'm lodging euros in to the card at the moment.

When I travel to the US will I transfer the money to US dollars before leaving or just leave it as euros?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭TheBody

keano25 wrote: »
    Obviously I'm lodging euros in to the card at the moment.

When I travel to the US will I transfer the money to US dollars before leaving or just leave it as euros?

Leave it as euro's. That's the whole point of the card. It will convert it for you regardless of where you are in the world. (The only exception to this is at the weekends when the exchange rate is a bit worse.)

TheBody wrote: »
    Leave it as euro's. That's the whole point of the card. It will convert it for you regardless of where you are in the world. (The only exception to this is at the weekends when the exchange rate is a bit worse.)

Sorry I should have been clearer. That's what I also ment to ask, I'll be there for two weekends so what should I do the weekends? Still just leave it as euro and take the hit or transfer x ammont?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

keano25 wrote: »
    TheBody wrote: »

Sorry I should have been clearer. That's what I also ment to ask, I'll be there for two weekends so what should I do the weekends? Still just leave it as euro and take the hit or transfer x ammont?
    it's up to you. Unless you were settling your hotel bill on the weekends, I'd tend to not pre-exchange, out of sheer laziness at the prospect of doing all of the calculations.
    Also, I tend to not leave more than 150 on my revolut at any time (using the autotopup function) so that influences the decision to not bother with pre-exchanging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

AIB are now using a verified by Visa one time code text message.

Revolut does not seem to be picking up the verified by VISA request.

Can't see any way to enter the one time code in Revolut.

Anyone else seeing this issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement