Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

J_A_F_A wrote: »
    You forgot to mention that that's per month.

That would suit me fine, I use my card mostly anyway, and I definitely would even more so if it was free instead of taking out all my money for the month and paying extra for the pleasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Anyone experiencin long wait times while ordering new card ?

Lost my wallet a while back and ordered a new card, was no sign of it after near 2 weeks so through the app canceled and re ordered in case was lost in the mail.

Second one had a quoted delivery date of the 2nd of this month, still no sign of it. Just wondering is this typical, can anyone who has recently ordered a card comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Does a new card keep the same number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just for those wondering about savings on Revolut. I took out £40 up North a couple of months ago and the ATM would have cost me €49 to do the exchange. Revolut cost me €45. €4 saving on such a small amount.

I bought a phone for my wife on Amazon and it cost €225 using Revolut. Amazon would have charged €235 to do the exchange and the bank even more as they would have a similar exchange rate plus a non-Euro fee.

Also someone mentioned having sterling on their Revolut account. That's fine, but you don't need to exchange anything in advance. Unless you want to take advantage of exchange rates on the day you make the exchange. I just leave everything in Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Wheety wrote:
    Also someone mentioned having sterling on their Revolut account. That's fine, but you don't need to exchange anything in advance. Unless you want to take advantage of exchange rates on the day you make the exchange. I just leave everything in Euros.

Or if you plan to spend a bit of sterling on the weekend, it's wise to exchange from euro the Friday as they raise the rate for the weekend in case of fluctuations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

If you have set up Euros, GBP and USD

How does Revolut determine which currency to use when you're paying by your card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

5star02707 wrote: »
    If you have set up Euros, GBP and USD

How does Revolut determine which currency to use when you're paying by your card?
    https://www.revolut.com/ie/help/exploring-revolut/spending/how-will-my-currency-balances-be-deducted-for-spending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

TheChizler wrote: »

Thanks

Your card will auto-convert your balance to the currency you're spending in at the best available rate, so you don't have to pre-purchase currencies. You can currently only hold and exchange between USD, GBP, EUR, PLN, CHF, DKK, NOK, SEK, RON, SGD, HKD, AUD, NZD, TRY, ILS, AED, CAD, HUF, JPY, MAD, CZK, QAR, THB, and ZAR on the app. The card selects which currency to use in the following order:

got it so the order is

USD - GBP - Euro

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

5star02707 wrote: »
    got it so the order is

USD - GBP - Euro

Obviously if you have sufficient credit in the currency of your transaction that will be used first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone make a claim on their phone insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Doing so today after I dropped it ffs.

I'll report back.

maximoose wrote: »
    Doing so today after I dropped it ffs.

I'll report back.

i dropped mine too, not sure if i should say its my fault or not.

Accidental breakage is covered, so don't see the harm. I've lodged my claim now anyway, waiting for someone to contact me back.

Got a DHL express label sent to me, will send the phone off tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Thanks for all the advice everyone, went ahead and ordered my card today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

I know Revolut Mastercards work with Google Pay, I added min a few weeks ago.

But today, I notice the Google Pay help page from within the Android Google Pay app now shows Revolut (albeit with an invalid link) and lists Supported cards [Mastercard] and Unsupported cards [Visa Cards].

Hopefully it won't be long until until Visa is supported too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

So if I want to buy stuff on Amazon UK I just load my revolut card with pounds sterling using my debit card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

So if I want to buy stuff on Amazon UK I just load my revolut card with pounds sterling using my debit card?

Assuming your debit card is euro,,, you should not load Revolut in sterling as you will be charged fees.

Use whatever currency the bank card default is, then convert in Revolut if you wish. If you leave funds in Euro only, Revolut will still automatically take out the amount from euro but pay in the transaction currency without you having to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Davy wrote:
    Assuming your debit card is euro,,, you should not load Revolut in sterling as you will be charged fees.

Yes thanks it's my bank of Ireland visa so that's good to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Is the phone insurance available here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is the phone insurance available here?

Via premium plan only here afaik.

Its available standalone in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Davy wrote: »
    Via premium plan only here afaik.

Its available standalone in the UK

Might be worth the upgrade so, I didn't realise they had it at all yet here. Though be worth seeing how a claim goes for someone first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I just top up in Euro and have never converted it. Revolut will do the conversion anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yeah, I think that's the point of revolut.
    Top up in € and spend wherever, and always refuse offers to exchange currency.

So ask to spend in local currency, and revolut will convert automatically. From your € account.

Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Could this be used to covert large amounts of money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Patww79 wrote: »
    Might be worth the upgrade so, I didn't realise they had it at all yet here. Though be worth seeing how a claim goes for someone first.

It's not available in Ireland yet even on premium.

Accidental breakage is covered, so don't see the harm. I've lodged my claim now anyway, waiting for someone to contact me back.

Must back up mine first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

clio_16v wrote: »
    Could this be used to covert large amounts of money?

Currency exchange transactions
    Free currency exchange transactions up to £5,000/€5,000 per month.
    Anything over is charged 0.5%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Yeah, I think that's the point of revolut.
    Top up in € and spend wherever, and always refuse offers to exchange currency.

So ask to spend in local currency, and revolut will convert automatically. From your € account.

Right?

Yes but your rate will likely be inferior if your purchase is at the weekend rather than converting in advance.

Where it go back too?
    Any indication of a time line on repair?
    Do they say back up your data?

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Where it go back too?
    Any indication of a time line on repair?
    Do they say back up your data?

It's going to some repair unit in Lithuania.

They do request you to back up everything yeah, doesn't give much of a timeline other than "after a short inspection"

The insurance is via simplesurance.de

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement