Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

MarkY91 wrote: »
    My ones is MasterCard. The Post office wouldn't accept it. Should I order a new one for the visa?

I recently starting using Google pay linked with revolut. It's great. No need for a wallet half the time! And I have spare change automatically going into my vault. My spare change funding is €39.85 so far. Real handy way of saving spare change without even noticing. I'd recommend everyone to try it out (located in the vault section).

The vaults would be a great if they attracted a small interest rate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

My ones is MasterCard. The Post office wouldn't accept it. Should I order a new one for the visa?

My one is Visa and the post office won't accept it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

As been said before the cards are coded as credit card and post offices don't accept credit cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

The vaults would be a great if they attracted a small interest rate.

Yeah good point.

I use it as my main savings account. Virtually every cent I have to my name is in the vault bar spare cash I use to pay for stiff in Google pay/ the card.

It's too easy to just withdraw then spend the money though. I wish they would make it harder to be resist withdrawing. It's s fairy easy "vault" to crack lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    As been said before the cards are coded as credit card and post offices don't accept credit cards.
    Prepaid debit actually but they don't accept them either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I use it as my main savings account. Virtually every cent I have to my name is in the vault...

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that there is no bank guarantee with Revolut. If the company goes bust, your money might not be guaranteed. I would like confirmation on that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Yeah good point.

I use it as my main savings account. Virtually every cent I have to my name is in the vault bar spare cash I use to pay for stiff in Google pay/ the card.

It's too easy to just withdraw then spend the money though. I wish they would make it harder to be resist withdrawing. It's s fairy easy "vault" to crack lol

I wouldn't use it as my main savings account. Also, it is very easy to just leave it alone :D

Mine is now at €140 and €55 of that is spare change. I have €5 a week also going into the vault. Will probably take it out at Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Yeah I guess you're right guys. I should start using my credit union account again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Has anyone noticed since last update (android) you can't see top up limit anymore? It's €30,000 a year but was handy to keep an eye on

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Claw09

Has anyone noticed since last update (android) you can't see top up limit anymore? It's €30,000 a year but was handy to keep an eye on

Contacted help about this, told me there is no limit now on my account but depending on amount I top up I may need verify source of funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Delta2113 wrote: »
    They have done something big with the transaction's. My old transactions are different. I made a donation for Movember and this is now showing as Ballsbridge medical centre - mad.

- I got on to Revolut - they say they will update it's merchant list in next few days. I'll report back if this corrects my transactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

They really need to get rid of that 30k limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Mr.S wrote: »
    You can increase it fairly easy on request.

Ditto, I did the verification thing and they bumped me up to €75k

troyzer wrote: »
    Ditto, I did the verification thing and they bumped me up to €75k

What extra verification did you have to do?

Claw09 wrote: »
    Contacted help about this, told me there is no limit now on my account but depending on amount I top up I may need verify source of funds.

I liked being able to see the limit though. I was at 22k and knew the limit. Now it's hidden I could hit some invisible flag they have set and effectively lock my account until I jump through hoops to get it unlocked.

What extra verification did you have to do?

I verified my income. I think it was three months of payslips and the bank account it was going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

All I sent them was my p60 and they raised me to 85k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

For anyone who had declined payments but money was still taken from your account how long before it's back and available? Paid for something yesterday but both transactions was declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

5star02707 wrote: »
    For anyone who had declined payments but money was still taken from your account how long before it's back and available? Paid for something yesterday but both transactions was declined.
    As little as 20 minutes and as long as 7 days to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Just signed up to the Metal plan,

1% cashback on transactions outside Europe (0.1% within)
    1% / 0.1% Cyrpto cashback
    Increased ATM withdrawals
    Travel insurance
    Dedicated support

13.99 pm

Is this public info now (recalling their email to beta testers...)

I was considering metal but the dicking around with cash back inside / outside Europe wouldn’t work for me. I never spend that much per year outside, due to work at least.

The mooted airport lounges would be great to hear more about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone make a claim on their phone insurance?

How do you get phone insurance. It seems device insurance for my IPhone is greyed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

msmx5 wrote: »
    Its called Dynamic Currency Conversion and should be avoided as for the "convenience" of paying in what the merchant thinks is your home currency (a lot of revolut cards are coded as Sterling") you are normally charged a hefty conversion premium.

Rule of thumb for revolut. Always pay in local currency!! That goes for topping up - top up in the local currency of your debit card (Euro for those of us in Ireland) and choose to pay local currency when paying for items abroad.

At Prague airport duty free the other day. Asked if I wanted to pay in euros €253 or local. I picked local and the amount charged to revolut card was €239, that’s a big difference and just shows how many ppl get screwed when they just pick euros when paying abroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I just paid 90 sterling for something, would have been 105.60 with paypal doing the conversion and it charged me 100.60 in revolut. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

You send them pay slips / bank records and they raise the limit. It's to stop money laundering etc.

How long should it take to get limit increased once I have submitted the documents ?

I'm not entirely sure why they need to see my bank records to be honest ,no other service Neteller/Paypal/N26 asks for sources of income.

Zardoz wrote: »
    How long should it take to get limit increased once I have submitted the documents ?

I'm not entirely sure why they need to see my bank records to be honest ,no other service Neteller/Paypal/N26 asks for sources of income.

Mine was instant. They wouldn't ask unless they were legally required to. Revolut is an e-money service regulated in the UK, none of the others that you mentioned are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Dardania wrote: »
    Is this public info now (recalling their email to beta testers...)

I was considering metal but the dicking around with cash back inside / outside Europe wouldn’t work for me. I never spend that much per year outside, due to work at least.

The mooted airport lounges would be great to hear more about

Still in Beta but public in a week or two.

Personally it’s worth it, but others might not see the value. The 0.1% cashback for Europe is a bit of a joke.

Insurance / increased ATM limits / Prioity support / disposable cards make it worth it for me.

I do like the metal card design as well!

If they ever launch airport lounges it will be good value. Annoying they don’t offer device insurance here.
    The insurances would be good - my wife gets a message every time she travels home to say welcome home etc. I never do, but I think it's because my address with revolut is for old country rather than current. It feels like grief to have to change the address with them - that's another pain point why I'm not contemplating upgrade until they have the airport lounges.
    I was half expecting them to include apple pay in the metal tier (or at least make it a paid option). In the beta, it kind of makes it seem like a feature that the card is contactless...the way the graphic is laid out, you could see apple pay going alongside it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Not sure where people got the idea revolut don't offer insurance here. I have my phone insured for 0.99 a month. The insurance tab has both device and overseas medical insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

is 99 cent per month on top of a revolut premium subscription?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is 99 cent per month on top of a revolut premium subscription?

I don't have premium. Perhaps I jumped on it before it went premium only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement