Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Buying online today - it was looking for the start date of debit card - should I just leave this blank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Davexirl

irishgeo wrote: »
    sent my phone dhl yesterday lunch time and it was in the service center in Lithuania at lunch time today , some service that by dhl.

email saying claim approved about 2hrs later, just need to pay the excess now.

I thought they couldn't offer phone insurance here? Well it won't let me sign up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Davexirl wrote: »
    I thought they couldn't offer phone insurance here? Well it won't let me sign up to it.

Posted on the last page:
    xckjoo wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Anyone have any experience of this - travelling at the moment in Eastern Europe, using Revolut as usual when I'm away. Everything working fine, today though got notifications of a load of redacted transactions, totalling well into three figures, balance went up accordingly. They were all legit transactions / cash withdrawals.
    No idea what's going on or what will happen next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Davexirl wrote: »

I think I got lucky and jumped on it before it was taken off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Davexirl

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Posted on the last page:

Never knew that, I need a new phone so,

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Zardoz wrote: »
    I submitted the documents over 48 hours ago and it still says "Reviewing Source of funds".
    Customer support seems to have gone to the dogs .

Still processing ,getting ridiculous now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Anyone have any experience of this - travelling at the moment in Eastern Europe, using Revolut as usual when I'm away. Everything working fine, today though got notifications of a load of redacted transactions, totalling well into three figures, balance went up accordingly. They were all legit transactions / cash withdrawals.
    No idea what's going on or what will happen next

They had an issue, (yesterday I think) for a few hours where payments were failing so may be that.
    They had a message in the app with info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Nice! If it's a subscription, you could just signup for a month, get the card and cancel the sub then.

• Advertisement

Nice! If it's a subscription, you could just signup for a month, get the card and cancel the sub then.

They say, if you cancel the regular premium. They cancel any premium cards you got.

I haven't tried it yet, but might yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Davy wrote: »
    They had an issue, (yesterday I think) for a few hours where payments were failing so may be that.
    They had a message in the app with info.

Possibly, didn't see the message myself. However the reverted transactions were from approx 2 weeks ago, had went through fine at the time (transaction completed or cash withdrawn)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    They say, if you cancel the regular premium. They cancel any premium cards you got.

I haven't tried it yet, but might yet.

I still have my black card, works perfectly. That's a fib I reckon.

I still have my black card, works perfectly. That's a fib I reckon.

Good to know because I might cancel premium :D

Metal is a 12 month contract if paid monthly or annually (€13.99/€135) so I'm guessing they will cancel the card leaving it a slim paperweight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Metal is a 12 month contract if paid monthly or annually (€13.99/€135) so I'm guessing they will cancel the card leaving it a slim paperweight

You'd have to be spending €5,300 a year just through your Metal card to break even. The more I think about it, it's not TOO bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

troyzer wrote: »

You'd have to be spending €5,300 a year just through your Metal card to break even. The more I think about it, it's not TOO bad.
    I'm doing a similar calculation ;-) Interesting to compare against: https://aib.ie/our-products/credit-cards/platinum-visa-card with it's 0.5% cashback (however no annual fee)

Dardania wrote: »
    I'm doing a similar calculation ;-) Interesting to compare against: https://aib.ie/our-products/credit-cards/platinum-visa-card with it's 0.5% cashback (however no annual fee)

Well one is a debit and the other is a credit card. They're not really comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Well one is a debit and the other is a credit card. They're not really comparable.
    Don't agree they're not compatible. From my perspective, they are pieces of plastic or metal through which one can spend money, and along the way gain cashback. How they're funded is of course different (prepaid, or credit with later pay back).
    Also, the AIB card has Apple Pay, whereas the Revolut has great FX & such a joyful app to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Isn't it 0.1% cashback within Europe? In which case you'd need to be spending €135,000 to recoup the €135 annual fee.

• Advertisement

carrotcake wrote: »
    Isn't it 0.1% cashback within Europe? In which case you'd need to be spending €135,000 to recoup the €135 annual fee.

If that's the case then it's not even remotely worth it. You're literally paying silly money for a Metal card. That concierge thing will inevitably be a load of ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah doesn't seem worth it.

Extra €200 ATM - I don't use the €400 limit as is
    Cashback - I'm not outside of Europe enough for it to make a difference, 0.1% within EU is crap.
    Concierge - don't have any faith in this, the priority support is bad already

For €6 more? No thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

Hi guys, Im currently in Australia and on there premium plan. Is it worth me to upgrde to metal? I load about 1000 AUD dollars on it weeky and use it to track my spending. I use it on local supermarkets and pubs. Does this mean I would get 1% cashback on everything I use it for out here? I cant seem to find the terms for the 1% cashback.

Thanks

Had a look at the app there, it's 0.1% for Europe. I don't understand who this card is for then? Either it's for somebody really wealthy who does that much travelling outside of Europe or it's for idiots who are willing to spend an extra €50 a year for a metal card?

The N26 metal card as well is the same. It's an extra €11 a month over black and as far as I can tell does absolutely nothing different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you frequently travel outside Europe 1% can make a difference in addition to the exchange rate.

The main draw is obviously for those who like to pretend they have are wealthy by having a shiny card that attracts attention (as if these days).

But if the concierge service is actually good (and there are mixed reviews about the provider) that can be worth it, if you have a bad work/life balance. My current provider more than once bailed me out at the last minute, so I for one would be willing to pay extra but I'm not your average consumer.

If you frequently travel outside Europe 1% can make a difference in addition to the exchange rate.

The main draw is obviously for those who like to pretend they have are wealthy by having a shiny card that attracts attention (as if these days).

But if the concierge service is actually good (and there are mixed reviews about the provider) that can be worth it, if you have a bad work/life balance. My current provider more than once bailed me out at the last minute, so I for one would be willing to pay extra but I'm not your average consumer.

I suppose, it's very much targeting a niché clearly. I just want a ****hot bank that provides usable services to everyday customers. I cancelled my N26 Black because it hasn't done anything new in ages.

This trading platform and the banking license will be a game changer for Revolut, not more ludicrously exclusive and targeted features like metal cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You clearly underestimate the number of show-offs out there which will pay a premium for a special card. There are whole forums out there where people compare the design of a card to decide which to get.

The N26 black is branded a world elite debit card and has no real world elite card functions (concierge/lounge etc.) but still, people get it because it's a world elite and that is a status symbol.

Why do you think Visa/Mastercard has those different tiers. In Ireland that is less common, debits all are the same and there are only a very limited amount of credit cards in the premium segment. And most of them don't really have any special functions.

For now, Revolut is hyping this up because it's special for a limited segment but that segment does not care about the value for money, they care about the design and I got it first.

In the long run, once they introduce the new bonus features for using the card regularly (UK first) where you get rewards/discounts once you use your card 10 times in a row it might become more attractive.

Remember they make money every time you swipe your card, so the more you swipe (even for low amounts) the better for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

You clearly underestimate the number of show-offs out there which will pay a premium for a special card. There are whole forums out there where people compare the design of a card to decide which to get.

The N26 black is branded a world elite debit card and has no real world elite card functions (concierge/lounge etc.) but still, people get it because it's a world elite and that is a status symbol.

The Celtic Tiger is definitely back when people are comparing the design of a card to decide which one to get.
    Absolutely daft .

You can be sure these people are the people that can least afford it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Don't agree they're not compatible. From my perspective, they are pieces of plastic or metal through which one can spend money, and along the way gain cashback. How they're funded is of course different (prepaid, or credit with later pay back).
    Also, the AIB card has Apple Pay, whereas the Revolut has great FX & such a joyful app to use.

You can use Revolut on Android Pay. anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Was all set to sign up until I realised that the cash back is only 1% outside Europe, pity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement