Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Because it sounded like a Chinese whisper. :pac: There is phone insurance, and travel insurance, but no car insurance.

Yeah, she's not one to usually pass on that type of info tbh. But I think she was there when the other was talking to the Nephew who got it, on the phone.
    I thought it was more likely to be a company with a similar sounding name, than a chinese whisper, but must have been.

After a lot googling and trying multiple ATMs it appears Wells Fargo don’t charge. Withdrew money from one of theirs atms and wasn’t advised of any charge nor has any been applied to my account so unless they hit with an unadvised and delayed charge then it appears they have free withdrawals.

Just to follow up on this as it may be helpful. It appears to be region specific as I was able to withdraw for free from Wells Fargo in Chicago but Wells Fargo ATMs in California wanted a 5 dollar charge. Couldn't find any that were free of the ones I tried (incl credit unions) but the cheapest was 3 dollars for a Chase ATM (I didn't try every bank though as hadn't time to this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Dardania wrote: »
    Anyone ever gone to one of these Rev Rally's? There's one coming up in the city I live, and I'm thinking of going. Not sure why - want to see about future plans, maybe score some swag - maybe see about how to invest in them for equity. Anyone have any tips? never really been to one of these events
    So I went this this yesterday evening after work. Didn't learn anything new - they wouldn't confirm the Apple Pay date (apparently waiting on Apple to announce it, rather than them). The new investment trading sounds interesting albeit 10 months away.

There were two interesting thing about this event: that they were able to say how many users in country they have, what the most common shops they spend on are, and what the most common savings vault name is. I don't think revolut are a banking company - they are a consumer data company.
    And half the attendees seemed to be from incumbent banks, trying to get intel on how revolut work.

Anyway, they sent out a free link for people to sign up and get free card so if anyone wants it PM me.

PM replies aren't working for me - this is what they said:

Hi again!

Hope you did have a chance to come to our #RevRally last night - we know we definitely want to come back for more! 
    We also thought of a little surprise: if you can still think of a friend who would definitely benefit from having a Revolut card, here's your chance to give them one for free - it will even be delivered to their home!

Share this link with your friends - every new user, who'll use it to download the app for the first time, and will then order the card via the app, will have it delivered to them for free. Because sharing means karma points, right?

Hope to see in you in our future events!

Don't forget the magic link:
    http://revolut.com/?p=welovefinland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Duff

Hey guys,

I'm heading to the states in a few weeks and was planning on putting my spending money into a PostFX card and using that. However, I've been advised that Revolut offer a better rate to An Post. I'd never heard of Revolut before so I just have a couple of questions - Does it take long to set up and receive the card in the post? How do I load money onto the card? Can I easily clear out any remaining funds when I return from my trip? Sorry if these are obvious questions.

Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

A couple of days to recieve card after requesting

You can top up using any visa debit / credit card from your main bank, or bank transfer

You can transfer funds back to your bank account after you are done, takes approx 2 days to hit your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Anyone elses app make them sign in again today as if the phone was new?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Patww79 wrote: »

Not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Question guys,

I have a mastercard that's due to expire in the next few months. Will they typically replace it with another mastercard or is it possible that they'll send me a visa? I hope its a mastercard as I believe google pay is only compatible with the mastercard. My bank doesn't offer Google pay support so my only outlet is revolut so I really want to hang onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Patww79 wrote: »

Yup after this mornings update I was asked to log in with sms confirmation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭markpb

dulux99 wrote: »
    I have a mastercard that's due to expire in the next few months. Will they typically replace it with another mastercard or is it possible that they'll send me a visa? I hope its a mastercard as I believe google pay is only compatible with the mastercard. My bank doesn't offer Google pay support so my only outlet is revolut so I really want to hang onto it.

Google Pay is supported on Mastercard and Visa by other banks, I can't see why Revolut would be any different.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Question guys,

Most, if not all, of us on here ordered the free replacement contactless MasterCards when they were giving them out last year and which have expiry dates in late 2022.

The earliest original MasterCards expired the end of July or August but so far there hasn't been any reports on here on what happens on expiry from anyone who still has one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Quackster wrote: »
    Most, of not all, of us on here ordered the free replacement contactless MasterCards when they were giving them out last year.

The earliest original MasterCards expired the end of July or August but so far there hasn't been any reports on here on what happens on expiry from anyone who still has one.

They send you an email.
    After the 21! there is a clock timer that doesn't seem to paste here.
    Hey Suckit,
    It looks like your Revolut card ending in ****9999 will expire in 21! 23f023f0

To continue making free international card payments, just order your FREE replacement card before your current card expires!

To order your free replacement card just:

• Update your app to the latest version
    • Head to the Cards tab in the app.
    • Tap the Replace button below the image of your card
    • Select free standard delivery
    • Your new card should arrive within 9 working days.

Need your new Revolut card in a hurry? Just pay for express delivery and we’ll have it with you in no time. Or if you’re travelling, we can even post your card to an overseas address!2708

Once you’ve got your new card, make your first payment using your PIN number, in order to activate contactless payments.

With a Revolut card you can:

• Spend at home or abroad with no fees
    • Set yourself a monthly budget and track your spending with our in-app analytics
    • Get real-time spending notifications after every purchase
    • Freeze or unfreeze your card in a tap if you lose it
    • Easily round up and save your spare change with Vaults!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

markpb wrote: »
    Google Pay is supported on Mastercard and Visa by other banks, I can't see why Revolut would be any different.

Visa is not supported by Google pay yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Visa is not supported by Google pay yet though.

AIB support Google Pay on their Visa cards.

In fact it's right front and centre in the Google Pay website https://pay.google.com/about/

a list of supported cards, so it's only revolt's visa cards they don't support - https://support.google.com/pay/answer/7352140

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Question guys,

I've just replaced one of the original MasterCard and my new one is a Visa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

Having major problems with revolut without much help to resolve from them unfortunately.
    Cannot login to the app since the update 2 days ago.
    Downloaded it on my wifes phone and it works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Bojill wrote: »
    Having major problems with revolut without much help to resolve from them unfortunately.
    Cannot login to the app since the update 2 days ago.
    Downloaded it on my wifes phone and it works fine.
    Have you an Android phone?
    If so, what version of Android?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

Have you an Android phone?
    If so, what version of Android?

Android 4.4.4, Surely if my phone wasnt being supported anymore, a) googleplay would stop me from downloading and b) someone in revolut would know.

Edit: I deleted and reinstalled revolut without issue this morning, just cant get past the phone number bit.

Edit 2: so after 2 days wasted, It has been confirmed that the android version on my phone is not supported. What a shambles of a company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

Hi folks

By any chance has anyone used their revolut card on the Halfords site? was gonna buy an item from the UK shop and use parcel motel....its pretty expensive so just thought I'd ask before I go ahead,as knowing my luck it won't work and the funds will be put in a hold for a week ha...

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

"What a shambles of a company."

While I understand your frustration I think it's a tweetch harsh to expect a leading edge banking app to still support an android release that is 5 years old.

Of course it should be clear what version is supported. Strange that playstore does not have this as standard.

I think you'll have to assume an increasing number of apps will not support KitKat.

Bojill wrote: »
    Android 4.4.4, Surely if my phone wasnt being supported anymore, a) googleplay would stop me from downloading and b) someone in revolut would know.

Edit: I deleted and reinstalled revolut without issue this morning, just cant get past the phone number bit.

Edit 2: so after 2 days wasted, It has been confirmed that the android version on my phone is not supported. What a shambles of a company.

That is a really really old version of Android, I'm surprised they were still supporting it up to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

paddy19 wrote: »
    "What a shambles of a company."

While I understand your frustration I think it's a tweetch harsh to expect a leading edge banking app to still support an android release that is 5 years old.

Of course it should be clear what version is supported. Strange that playstore does not have this as standard.

I think you'll have to assume an increasing number of apps will not support KitKat.

Well, thanks to Bojill's message, I've just found out - three hours before I head to the airport - that my version of Revolut is suddenly obsolete for the same reason. Five-year-old technology is not old, but if Revolut thinks it is, they could at least have had the courtesy to warn us dinosaurs that they were about to effectively disable our accounts with an automatic upgrade.

Yesterday, I used my card (no longer showing in the app) to pay for an AirBnB, got two text messages about the payment but there is no transaction showing in the app, which means I'll have to keep a paper record of everything I spend over the next month. :mad:

I agree with Bojill - a shambles of a company.

In smartphone terms, 5 years is absolutely ancient. I do agree they should have this in their Play Store listing for the app though. Some developers show the compatible versions.

They did post about it on their site though and Google have long stopped supporting 4.4 with security updates.

https://blog.revolut.com/discontinuing-support-for-android-kitkat/

_

I noticed here that you should still be able to use the older version 5.12 (5.14 is the current one).
    What if my device doesn't support Lollipop OS? ��
    Whilst there won't be an immediate effect on mobile banking for Revolut users on the KitKat OS versions, we recommend upgrading to a newer version of the Android operating system.

If your device doesn't support any of the new versions of the Android OS, you should know that:

New features will not be supported on devices running KitKat OS
    You can still use or download Revolut version 5.12 - however, we will eventually drop support for it
    Existing users on KitKat will be able to continue using the app, even after the August 21, 2018

This is from July 2018 (marked as 5.7 for some reason, not sure why) but it says min version is Kitkat so if you uninstall updates on the current app and then install this apk you may get some joy.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/revolut-technologies/revolut-better-than-your-bank/revolut-better-than-your-bank-5-7-release/revolut-better-than-your-bank-5-7-android-apk-download/

Edit - here's another couple of links to a 5.12 but apkmirror is the only site I'd personally trust so enter at your own risk as they say...

https://apk.tools/details-revolut-foreign-exchange-apk/

https://www.apk4fun.com/apk/324011/

_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,296 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

. Five-year-old technology is not old,

I agree with Bojill - a shambles of a company.

5 year old technology is stone age, especially when talking about phones. The battery must be on its last legs at this stage?

In 2013 we were looking at the launch of Nexus 5 and Galaxy S4.

Very unfair to blame the company because you haven't moved with the times and upgraded to a new phone.

Plenty of cheap options available now to upgrade for very little outlay like the Xiaomi A2

https://www.amazon.es/Xiaomi-MI-A2-Smartphone-importada/dp/B07FMPVBQR

TitianGerm wrote: »
    5 year old technology is stone age, especially when talking about phones. The battery must be on its last legs at this stage?
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Ah now, 5 year old software is very old.

It might be "old" - or even "stone age" - but my daughter's just bought a brand new 'phone that does absolutely nothing more than mine. It works fine for making calls, WhatsApping, taking photos, recording concerts, a bit of browsing, acting as a hotspot for my laptop, sat-navving, a bit of word-processing/spread-sheeting if I'm bored, listening to the radio, calculating when my brain's too tired for mental arithmetic and online banking. In what way would a 2019 phone improve on any of that?

It's also not broken, unlike everyone I know who bought one since I got mine! :D

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Ah now, 5 year old software is very old.

It might be "old" - or even "stone age" - but my daughter's just bought a brand new 'phone that does absolutely nothing more than mine. It works fine for making calls, WhatsApping, taking photos, recording concerts, a bit of browsing, acting as a hotspot for my laptop, sat-navving, a bit of word-processing/spread-sheeting if I'm bored, listening to the radio, calculating when my brain's too tired for mental arithmetic and online banking. In what way would a 2019 phone improve on any of that?

It's also not broken, unlike everyone I know who bought one since I got mine! :D

Chances are there are security holes in such old android that haven’t been patched. So a new phone (or rather one with newer software) will prevent these vulnerabilities being exploited and you or your daughters personal info being captured.

I know how software works :rolleyes: That kind of vulnerability would be much reduced if developers like Revolut didn't insist on importing my contact list, for example. I don't need to know that my former boss is using Revolut.

In fact, that kind of indiscriminate use of data (when did I ever get the option to say no to mine being given to everyone else in the same way?) is what's made me decide to unsubscribe as soon as I've cleared my account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

And following that make sure you GDPR them so that your data unless required by financial oversight is gone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement