Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I know how software works :rolleyes: That kind of vulnerability would be much reduced if developers like Revolut didn't insist on importing my contact list, for example. I don't need to know that my former boss is using Revolut.

In fact, that kind of indiscriminate use of data (when did I ever get the option to say no to mine being given to everyone else in the same way?) is what's made me decide to unsubscribe as soon as I've cleared my account.

You would have said next when the app asked for permission to import contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

troyzer wrote: »
    You would have said next when the app asked for permission to import contacts.

I denied it permission, so it plastered a "denied access" message across the screen that wouldn't go away (even after I closed the app) ... and showed me anyway which of my contacts were on Revolut.

In any case, trying Patww79's suggestion successfully rolled back the software to the version I had in August ... complete with the "Sorry, something went wrong error" that I thought at the time was due to being outside the EU (in Switzerland, using a different SIM for data! :p). That problem was subsequently resolved when it eventually allowed me to change my number (but only once I'd returned to the EU :rolleyes: ) but now the latest version won't work either (unsurprising, given the info on this thread, but the Play Store still says its compatible with my stone-age phone).

So for now, I've installed it on my tablet with ifull access to the completely empty contact list on there, and a number that I never use.

It might be "old" - or even "stone age" - but my daughter's just bought a brand new 'phone that does absolutely nothing more than mine. It works fine for making calls, WhatsApping, taking photos, recording concerts, a bit of browsing, acting as a hotspot for my laptop, sat-navving, a bit of word-processing/spread-sheeting if I'm bored, listening to the radio, calculating when my brain's too tired for mental arithmetic and online banking. In what way would a 2019 phone improve on any of that?

It's also not broken, unlike everyone I know who bought one since I got mine! :D

Well you'd be able to use revolut for starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I denied it permission,

Could you maybe start another thread about running Revolut on an unsupported version of Android while denying the app the permissions that it's asking for to work properly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Well you'd be able to use revolut for starts.

:D Haha! Fair point.

But as Revolut wasn't broke before, it didn't need to be fixed (as far as I'm concerned)
    long_b wrote: »
    Could you maybe start another thread about running Revolut on an unsupported version of Android while denying the app the permissions that it's asking for to work properly ?
    I'll leave that for someone else. The app and product has evolved into something that no longer interests me (a bit like Ryanair!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Is what I'm reading in the last few posts right? Like if your phone is over 5 years old you can't use Revoult?.. Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Is what I'm reading in the last few posts right? Like if your phone is over 5 years old you can't use Revoult?.. Really?

It all depends if your phone gets security updates or not. It's the manufacturers who decide this, banking apps can't be released on software with glaring security backdoors. I think if you have a iOS 10.3.3 device, or Android 5 and up you should be fine. Many of those are on devices at least 5 years old.

I know how software works :rolleyes: That kind of vulnerability would be much reduced if developers like Revolut didn't insist on importing my contact list, for example. I don't need to know that my former boss is using Revolut.

In fact, that kind of indiscriminate use of data (when did I ever get the option to say no to mine being given to everyone else in the same way?) is what's made me decide to unsubscribe as soon as I've cleared my account.

Honestly why do you care if they have your contact list? I think is good to know everyone who has it as you can use it for sending and receiving money from them. This is why it needs your contact list by the way, for one of the best features of revolut it’s sending/receiving and split billing etc. I use it all the time it’s absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Honestly why do you care if they have your contact list? I think is good to know everyone who has it as you can use it for sending and receiving money from them. This is why it needs your contact list by the way, for one of the best features of revolut it’s sending/receiving and split billing etc. I use it all the time it’s absolutely brilliant.

Many people care. I'm one of them.

The reason I care because I have no desire for everyone to know who I know— especially when I don't know who has access to that information, or what they might do with it.

There isn't a single app in my phone (bar the phone/sms apps that came with iOS) which has access to my contact list, and that's how I'll be keeping it. I got the app so I could have a prepaid credit card to use overseas for safety and a better exchange rate, not to release even more of my personal data to developers and database builders.

It shouldn't need access to your contacts to allow you to send money to others. You should be able to input their name/ID code into a search field and subsequently have an alert pop up for them in the vein of "John Murphy wants to send you €50. Do you accept the payment?" That way you wouldn't even need to have the person in your contacts list, or be physically near to them to do so, as is often the case in one-time transactions.

This would not be difficult to include, so why don't they include it? Because it would mean they had no reason to encourage you to give them access to your personal information, of course. Why did they design the app so they'd have to get access to that information in order to utilise all its functions? I can't answer that question, but the fact that it needs to be asked makes me apprehensive enough that I will try to limit what it has access to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I want to be able to send money to contacts so it needs to have my contacts.

I can also guarantee a phone running KitKat doesn't do things like hotspot, take photos, record video, and everything else near as well as a new phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You would be the same person moaning if someone if revolut app was hacked on your old phone with no longer supported software. That would be the company fault too for releasing an app on such an old version of android.
    In newer versions of the app you decide what access to give each app to your data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I have not given Revolt access to my contact list and it works perfectly fine for me.

Sure it complaints once in a while and as I dont use the send money to people function there is no reason for it to have access.

I however agree that it would be better if the system does not let other users see if I use the software.. As it requires a real phone number the usual work around of giving people a unique email does not work either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

DivingDuck wrote: »

The reason I care because I have no desire for everyone to know who I know— especially when I don't know who has access to that information, or what they might do with it.

There isn't a single app in my phone (bar the phone/sms apps that came with iOS) which has access to my contact list, and that's how I'll be keeping it. I got the app so I could have a prepaid credit card to use overseas for safety and a better exchange rate, not to release even more of my personal data to developers and database builders.

It shouldn't need access to your contacts to allow you to send money to others. You should be able to input their name/ID code into a search field and subsequently have an alert pop up for them in the vein of "John Murphy wants to send you €50. Do you accept the payment?" That way you wouldn't even need to have the person in your contacts list, or be physically near to them to do so, as is often the case in one-time transactions.

This would not be difficult to include, so why don't they include it? Because it would mean they had no reason to encourage you to give them access to your personal information, of course. Why did they design the app so they'd have to get access to that information in order to utilise all its functions? I can't answer that question, but the fact that it needs to be asked makes me apprehensive enough that I will try to limit what it has access to.

You could.

Always.

Not use it. It's not a mandatory service...

DivingDuck wrote: »

You do realise that they are already collecting vast amounts of personal data on you by virtue of the fact that you're using the card? They know where you are, what you're buying etc.

And by "they" I mean the software. Nobody is sitting at a desk looking at YOUR contacts. That's not how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Quick tip - as the cards I own were expiring they were looking for almost 15 euros per card I think it was in fees and postage - we had two and I thought this charge was a bit high so let it expire.

Once the card fully expired then - the iphone app offered a free card and free postage.

Just mentioning in case anyone has to order a new card soon.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You do realise that they are already collecting vast amounts of personal data on you by virtue of the fact that you're using the card? They know where you are, what you're buying etc

They don't know what you're buying they know where you bought and the total amount but not individual line items.

They don't know what you're buying they know where you bought and the total amount but not individual line items.

Fair enough. But if you (creamy goodness) had a record of spending €79.99 in a sex shop then it's a reasonable assumption you just bought a full leather gimp suit, especially given your username.

Or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

Yes that's correct, they sent out an email today saying they were looking into it.

My issue isn't that they are not supporting the old software anymore, It's that they didn't notify anyone possibly affected in good time.(Please don't quote the post they put up on a blog, that's not acceptable customer communication imo)
    Leapcard, sky etc all put up warnings prior to their changes in-app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Hi all, my son needs to send 150 Canadian dollars to a Canadian bank account.

Would someone mind explaining how he can do this using his revolut account?

He has the account number & branch transit number.

No IBAN details - presumably only for European banks?

Many thanks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

keredern wrote: »

/QUOTE]

Go ahead and try. go into app at the bottom is Payment, in there option for bank transfers, then select country currency etc they will then give appropriate fields for banking system in that country

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I just had an order cancelled from Argos on Ebay as they wouldnt ship to a Parcel Wizard address.
    The refund is showing in PayPal was wondering how long it takes to be returned to my Revolut account. TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭bren2002

PayPal to revolut is about 2 days I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

keredern wrote: »

He has the account number & branch transit number.

No IBAN details - presumably only for European banks?

Many thanks! :)

Can he get the swift code of the Canadian bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Can he get the swift code of the Canadian bank

Hi, I think he has messaged the recipient.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Does any one know if you can use a mobile phone bill to change your address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Lukker- wrote: »
    Does any one know if you can use a mobile phone bill to change your address?

Not sure, but I think it has to be (any) two bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Anyone know if I can use revolut with my PayPal account instead of linking it to my bank account? I'd rather not enter my bank details or debit card into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Anyone know if I can use revolut with my PayPal account instead of linking it to my bank account? I'd rather not enter my bank details or debit card into it.

I have mine linked to my PayPal account for purchases - not sure if it works both ways as I haven't tried to top up with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I have mine linked to my PayPal account for purchases - not sure if it works both ways as I haven't tried to top up with it?
    Six posts up. :)

Edit: I was being smart but I think they were answering a different question in the end. :D

Yes you can transfer from Paypal to the Revolut bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

NATLOR wrote: »
    I just had an order cancelled from Argos on Ebay as they wouldnt ship to a Parcel Wizard address.
    The refund is showing in PayPal was wondering how long it takes to be returned to my Revolut account. TIA

You probably have it by now, but once the refund has been confirmed on PayPal, you will get a refund to the card you used on PayPal in about 2 days.

As for PayPal to Revolut transfers, I believe you send a bank transfer from PayPal to your Revolut UK bank credentials, but I’ve never done it so not 100%

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement