Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

yellow hen wrote: »
    Just looking for clarification. I have a revolut card. My husband is in the US in.a few weeks..if he orders a revolut card in his name, can be link the card to my account and access the funds in mine?

The card takes the funds from whatever app its ordered in.

He can setup an account himself and order a card, or you order a card from your account and give him the physical card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Davy wrote: »
    The card takes the funds from whatever app its ordered in.

He can setup an account himself and order a card, or you order a card from your account and give him the physical card.

Thanks Davy. If I order the card from my account will it not be in my name? Or do I have the option of specifying another name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks Davy. If I order the card from my account will it not be in my name? Or do I have the option of specifying another name?

It won't matter , in the us you just swipe or tap card. The name should have no bearing.

listermint wrote: »
    It won't matter , in the us you just swipe or tap card. The name should have no bearing.

Oh really? I haven't been there in about 4 years but I remember being asked for my passport a few times?

Also is there a max amount that you can swipe or tap for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

That is bad advice. The help pages clearly point out that spare and additional cards are for the account owner.

If you give a card to your husband than you risk that your account gets blocked for various reasons.

Even if you enable mag stripe transactions on the card and disable location security so that the card can be used in the US while your phone is in Ireland someone might notice the name or the fraud protection software kicks in.

Let him open his own account or if he are in charge of funds use a card with no nameime PostFx (which is extremely expensive).

• Advertisement

Or attend one of those revolut rallies where they give out no name cards that you can link to your account.

But that too will require to disable security functions for the card and breach T&C.

Ok. So basically this isn't straightforward? ****. If he opens an account could I transfer funds from mine to his?

Transfer between revolut accounts is simple, free and instant.

It however requires for him to be in your address book and you allowing the app access to it.

Transfer between revolut accounts is simple, free and instant.

It however requires for him to be in your address book and you allowing the app access to it.

I see that now. Best option so, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

I see that now. Best option so, thanks.

I'd recommend he gets his own card and you can fund it by sending funds from your revolut to his or he can link it to an Irish debit card.

Both my wife and I have our own Revolut accounts / cards and find it very useful and quick to transfer funds from one to the other in an instant. Tip - If you/he have both cards with you while travelling you'll also benefit from being able to withdraw CASH in foreign currency from ATMs to the value of €200 every calendar month on each card account without any extra charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭NATLOR

My virtual card expires next month. Do i just order a new one through the app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

NATLOR wrote:
    My virtual card expires next month. Do i just order a new one through the app?

If you wait till after it expires. They'll offer you a free one via in app pop up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Just looking for clarification. I have a revolut card. My husband is in the US in.a few weeks..if he orders a revolut card in his name, can be link the card to my account and access the funds in mine?

No. I think it’s a limitation to not be able to do joint accounts.
    However it’s very easy to transfer over and back between 2 accounts.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm still unclear about this basic question and having trouble getting a clear answer from the Revolut site.

If my company, in the Euro zone, has a business Revolut account, can a UK client pay me from his Sterling account into my Revolut account if I bill him in Euros? Or will his UK bank still charge him a foreign currency fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I'm still unclear about this basic question and having trouble getting a clear answer from the Revolut site.

If my company, in the Euro zone, has a business Revolut account, can a UK client pay me from his Sterling account into my Revolut account if I bill him in Euros? Or will his UK bank still charge him a foreign currency fee?

Bill him in Sterling?

Then take payment in sterling and convert it to Euro. If he tries to pay in Euro, his bank will charge him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

troyzer wrote: »
    Bill him in Sterling?

Then take payment in sterling and convert it to Euro. If he tries to pay in Euro, his bank will charge him.

That's the whole thing we're trying to get away from. We're not allowed to bill in sterling. Balls.

If I take a card payment over the phone for 100 euros can I actually process it as 89 pounds or whatever the current rate is and end up with 100 euros in the Revolut account without him paying exchange fees? As long as the full amount is eventually received for the invoice it might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Thinking of getting one for junior who is 17 that will allow me top it up and will avoid him carrying cash, will give him flex to purchase his own stuff online etc. Can a 17 yr old get a Revolut card, can I set up an additional card holder and separate account as such? I don't want to see his transactions but want to top it up.

Whats the best way to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Revolut is 18 plus only, but sounds like any regular bank account with a debit card would work TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Is there a limit to how much you can pay via Google pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

TheDriver wrote: »

As far as I know the limit depends on your bank/credit card limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

I am trying to order a physical card. Is there any way to avoid paying 5.99 delivery and get it for Free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Thinking of getting one for junior who is 17 that will allow me top it up and will avoid him carrying cash, will give him flex to purchase his own stuff online etc. Can a 17 yr old get a Revolut card, can I set up an additional card holder and separate account as such? I don't want to see his transactions but want to top it up.

Whats the best way to do this?

You don’t need access to his account to top him up, you just need an account of your own. You can then send money from your account to anybody in your contact list that also has Revolut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

TheDriver wrote: »
    I've read the limit is €1M, but your bank's card limit will kick in well before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭techdiver

I know this was probably asked somewhere else here but couldn't find it.

I placed an order on amazon yesterday for £200 ish for 2 items (both sold and fulfilled by amazon [warehouse deals]). I topped up my revolut account with the appropriate amount. The order went through fine and this morning I got an email saying my one leg of my order was shipped. A while later got an email saying my payment was declined for the second leg of the order???

When I check with revolut account iut show the full £200 was charged yesterday and then the declined attempt this morning to charge £118 (one of the items). Has this happened to anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

techdiver wrote: »
    I know this was probably asked somewhere else here but couldn't find it.

I placed an order on amazon yesterday for £200 ish for 2 items (both sold and fulfilled by amazon [warehouse deals]). I topped up my revolut account with the appropriate amount. The order went through fine and this morning I got an email saying my one leg of my order was shipped. A while later got an email saying my payment was declined for the second leg of the order???

When I check with revolut account iut show the full £200 was charged yesterday and then the declined attempt this morning to charge £118 (one of the items). Has this happened to anyone else?

Sounds like Amazon being pricks. Just write to them on the webchat. They're one of the better companies for customer service.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

troyzer wrote: »
    Sounds like Amazon being pricks. Just write to them on the webchat. They're one of the better companies for customer service.

They often put a hold for the full amount on your card when you place the order and then charge for each part of the order separately as they post the items. The hold is eventually released but if you only have the exact amount to cover the order on your Revolut card, it obviously screws things up.

They easiest way around this is to use your Revolut card to buy an Amazon gift card to the value of the order first and then pay for the order with the gift card.

Reply from amazon:
    Hello *****,

This is Eszter from Amazon. Thanks for chatting today.

I'm sorry about the misunderstanding about the charges in relation to your order # **************.

I can confirm that as of now we have only charged you the £83.23 for the item that has been dispatched this morning. We would only ever take the money from your bank when we dispatch the items to you.

When you place an order with Amazon, we contact your payment card's issuing bank to approve the payment method.

Upon approval, the requested amount is reserved in your account. This is known as an authorisation. The authorisation is only released as a charge at the time of dispatch, completing the transaction. If the authorisation remains unused, the funds reserved in your account will be made available to you by your bank according to their policies.

I can see that when you placed the order yesterday, we asked your bank to authorise the full transaction amount of £202.10. This may show up as a pending charge, but we have only taken the 83.23 from this, and the balance of £118.87 will be cleared by your bank according to their own timeline.

We have cancelled that authorisation request for the £118.87 yesterday.

Then today, we have asked for authorisation for the same amount again, and I can see that it was declined in the first instance, but it went through okay at 10.33 am.

We will ask your bank to release this amount to us when we ship your second item.

While most card issuers release the unused authorisations within 3-5 business days, some banks have been known to hold authorisations for up to 10 days. The issuing bank is best placed to provide you with more information on their specific policies regarding authorisations.

Hope this helps, but please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Have a lovely day!

So in short they hold £202.12 and then complete only £83.23 of it and then place a complete new charge for the rest and refund/revert the difference from the original hold! WTF!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Reply from amazon:

So in short they hold £202.12 and then complete only £83.23 of it and then place a complete new charge for the rest and refund/revert the difference from the original hold! WTF!

Yeah, this is not unusual. It's common practice with hotels and restaurants too. Unfortunately, the only options to avoid any hassle is to load your Revolut card with twice the transaction amount or go the gift card route as I already suggested.

Quackster wrote: »
    Yeah, this is not unusual. It's common practice with hotels and restaurants too. Unfortunately, the only options to avoid any hassle is to load your Revolut card with twice the transaction amount or go the gift card route as I already suggested.

Oh, I understand the holding approach, but the fact that they then finalised the payment from the held amount for one leg of the order (thus triggering a reverting of the difference in 10 days or so) and add an additional charge for the second leg of the order is what puzzles me..

Anyway, I'll just use the top up or gift voucher facility from now on which should avoid this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

I placed an order on amazon yesterday ..

This is common practice with Amazon and has been documented earlier in the thread also. There are two approaches to avoid dispatch delays due to declined/insufficient funds.
    1. Buy an Amazon gift card for the exact transaction amount with your revolut card and use the gift card to pay. (make sure you check the full final amount before buying the gift card as changes to Irish VAT rate often push up the final total on the last checkout page.
    2. Overfund your Revolut to ensure there is sufficient funds to cover a) the initial hold and b) subsequent charges for items as they are shipped.

Personally I use a mix; 2) for low value purchases and 1) for higher value purchases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement