Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

iamtony wrote: »
    Are you sure you not talking to the bot? It catches most people out the first time, you need to join the que to speak to the rep which can take forever.
    Im a taxi driver and I had a lady try pay with revolut last week and it was declined in my sum up card reader.

Definitely a person. I forget their name.

I'm gonna try use it again today in a shop. The live chat said they don't have 3D verification which is why my payment failed on the Website despite my money being taken out. I hope it gets returned without issues.

I love revolut and use it both in Ireland and especially abroad so I'm not trying to moan for the sake of it as they surely saved me a fortune in exchange fees while abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

-=al=- wrote: »
    Is there a way around it? I find those notifications quite pointless. Sometimes I read it fast and take the total spendings for the day as the purchase price for something! Annoying indeed

Had to top up for a relative, and still received those notifications (over €200) - "After work drinks? You've got €237 in your account"

Anyway, figured out how to stop them.

Go to profile - [security] privacy - and untick all three notifications.
    Marketing Emails, Marketing Pushes, ad Perks Pushes.

I'm not even sure any of them are the annoying notifications, but hopefully that'll stop it. I never wanted opted emails anyway, so don't know why that was turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Definitely a person. I forget their name.

I'm gonna try use it again today in a shop. The live chat said they don't have 3D verification which is why my payment failed on the Website despite my money being taken out. I hope it gets returned without issues.

I love revolut and use it both in Ireland and especially abroad so I'm not trying to moan for the sake of it as they surely saved me a fortune in exchange fees while abroad.

It wasn't taken out, just set aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What’s the max top up on these so I know for future? Tried to top up over €1,500 today via Apple Pay and I got denied. I was in the store trying to buy something so had to revert to my own credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

What’s the max top up on these so I know for future? Tried to top up over €1,500 today via Apple Pay and I got denied. I was in the store trying to buy something so had to revert to my own credit card.

I would never put that much money on it. Just transfer the money you need for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I would never put that much money on it. Just transfer the money you need for the day.

I'd be assuming the item they were buying was the €1500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Patww79 wrote: »

Correct.

I keep a low Revolut balance until I’m in a shop whilst abroad. I’ll then see the items price and look at the exchange rate and transfer over enough to cover it. It was £1200 which came to something like €1450~. I wanted to transfer €1500 to cover it but it got denied.

Not a huge biggie as I should have prepare a bit better for the purchase.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It seems Revolut applies a daily top-up limit for each card you use to top up your account. The way around it is to top up using two (or more as necessary) different cards.

So if you try to top up from your debit card by, say, €1,500 and it gets refused, then top up by €750 instead and then top up from another card (say your credit card) by another €750.

As explained by a Revolut CS agent on the Revolut community:

For newly added cards, most of our users will have a daily top-up limit between £1000-£3000 (or currency equivalent). Some users may find they have a lower daily limit to begin with, however, your daily top-up limits will increase over time. We suggest:

Try and top-up your desired amount. If the amount is over your top-up allowance, you will receive a pop up message notifying you of the daily limit for that card and how much you can top-up today. If you wish to top-up more than your daily limit, you can use another debit or credit card, alternatively top-up via bank transfer. Unfortunately for security reasons we cannot provide the specific details around how your top-up limits are calculated.

The other option is to use your Revolut card to part-pay (whatever amount you can get it topped up by) and pay the balance with cash or another card.

On the other hand, if you didn't get that message from Revolut but rather just a 'declined' message, then the issue is likely a transaction or daily spend limit imposed on your debit card by your bank. The solution is the same though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

I think the limit is set by your bank, I used it when purchasing a car and it was €7500 but that was only because that was my max debit card use per day from bank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Patww79 wrote: »

I should have read the last sentence. Lol. I jumped the gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭bren2001

Heading to Bosnia next week. Is there any benefit to using Revolut there? It isn't a supported currency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Yes.

Top up in Euros, and drive on using it in Bosnia. Revolut will auto-convert it on the fly. You'll save a good bit in comparison to using your standard debit card or buying currency before hand.

Tips for before you leave:
    - make sure your PIN is "synced" with the card. Put it into an ATM, enter the pin, and then just cancel the transaction.
    - Test the card in Ireland before you go. Pay for petrol the next time with it or something like that.
    - Disable the "location security" setting on the card. This can be very much hit and miss when abroad due to poor 3G/4G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭bren2001

Yes.

Top up in Euros, and drive on using it in Bosnia. Revolut will auto-convert it on the fly. You'll save a good bit in comparison to using your standard debit card or buying currency before hand.

- make sure your PIN is "synced" with the card. Put it into an ATM, enter the pin, and then just cancel the transaction.
    - Test the card in Ireland before you go. Pay for petrol the next time with it or something like that.
    - Disable the "location security" setting on the card. This can be very much hit and miss when abroad due to poor 3G/4G.

Ah yeah, I've had the card a few years. I was wondering is there any financial benefit if Revolut don't support the currency. I assumed Mastercard would just convert it instead of Revolut.

I'm always glad to save on those bank charges however!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

bren2001 wrote: »
    Yes.

Ah yeah, I've had the card a few years. I was wondering is there any financial benefit if Revolut don't support the currency. I assumed Mastercard would just convert it instead of Revolut.

I'm always glad to save on those bank charges however!
    Sometimes the "not supporting the currency" means you can't hold a balance in it. But Revolut still perform the currency conversion, rather than Mastercard (I think)
    Plus you get the normal benefits from Revolut like notifications, tracking your spending, disabling magnetic etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Long time user here with what is perhaps a silly question but can you top up a revolut card with another revolut card?

Trying to figure out how to have something close to a joint account without having a joint account. If we could top each other up we could just send the balance of our accounts to each other when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Joekers

Heading to the US in a couple of weeks and have a revolut account but it’s all quite new to me, what’s the best way of using this over there to gain a benefit?
    Do I just transfer money from my current account each day to cover my spending for said day and use the card to pay for everything ? Or is it good to withdraw the money in an atm over there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

seannash wrote: »
    Long time user here with what is perhaps a silly question but can you top up a revolut card with another revolut card?

Trying to figure out how to have something close to a joint account without having a joint account. If we could top each other up we could just send the balance of our accounts to each other when needed.
    I'm not sure if you can add a Revolut card as a payment card, I suspect you shouldn't as the card is supposed to be in your name. But you can transfer money to any of your contacts that have Revolut very easily, which sounds like what you want to do?

https://www.revolut.com/ie/payments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Joekers wrote: »
    Heading to the US in a couple of weeks and have a revolut account but it’s all quite new to me, what’s the best way of using this over there to gain a benefit?
    Do I just transfer money from my current account each day to cover my spending for said day and use the card to pay for everything ? Or is it good to withdraw the money in an atm over there ?

I was in the US for 2 weeks recently and used my Revolut for everything. I usually transferred 400 euro from normal account into revolut and then changed it to dollar. Once it got to certain level, I'd top up again in the same way. You can withdraw €200 per month from atm for free and after that there will be 2% fee. I only used ATM twice, I just used card for all payments.

We have a joint account but have started using our revolut instead as its handier when you have a mixture of joint and not joint purchases in a transaction (for instance when food shopping and some stuff isn't shared).

For a fully shared transaction just use split bill and the person you are sharing with just reimburses you instantly or if you don't want a full split just use request money and request the amount you want. Using revolut in this way has almost totally replaced the use of the joint account at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

We have a joint account but have started using our revolut instead as its handier when you have a mixture of joint and not joint purchases in a transaction (for instance when food shopping and some stuff isn't shared).

For a fully shared transaction just use split bill and the person you are sharing with just reimburses you instantly or if you don't want a full split just use request money and request the amount you want. Using revolut in this way has almost totally replaced the use of the joint account at this stage.

Thanks,
    We were just going to top up each card with a larger than needed amount each month. once we top up with the same amount each time at payday it wont matter who buys what. If one person runs low the other will send them enough to bring it back up to level before the monthly top up. Or if more is needed for a bigger purchase they will send them whats needed from their revolut.

Its really only for shopping or eating out or a few wee bits and bobs.
    We'll both use our own personal accounts for our own purchases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

Thanks,
    We were just going to top up each card with a larger than needed amount each month. once we top up with the same amount each time at payday it wont matter who buys what. If one person runs low the other will send them enough to bring it back up to level before the monthly top up. Or if more is needed for a bigger purchase they will send them whats needed from their revolut.

Its really only for shopping or eating out or a few wee bits and bobs.
    We'll both use our own personal accounts for our own purchases.

You can just send money to each other if you are both Revolut users. It transfers in an instant and you can even put a note on what it is. Myself and my siblings use it regularly to pay each other back for things. Another thing we have done is when I went on a European trip a month or two before my brother went to the US he transferred dollars to my card and I took the dollars out in Dublin Airport for him so he had more cash on him going. Easy way to get around the €200 a month free ATM limit if you have someone you trust to do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I have my Revolut card hooked up to google pay. I intend travelling up north soon and I've money already exchanged to sterling. When I head up will the google pay app work as per the sterling prices displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philster

Hi, quick question. New user of Revolut.

Bought an item on amazon.co.uk. Price was £69.98. Got a notification that €1.14 was deducted from my account and then €79.61 was removed.

What is the €1.14 deduction? Is it something to do with exchange rate and should I have done something different? I've used Revolut for other online payments and this deduction hasn't happened with them (both sterling and dollars). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Philster wrote: »

Bought an item on amazon.co.uk. Price was £69.98. Got a notification that €1.14 was deducted from my account and then €79.61 was removed.

What is the €1.14 deduction? Is it something to do with exchange rate and should I have done something different? I've used Revolut for other online payments and this deduction hasn't happened with them (both sterling and dollars). Thanks.

1.14 sounds like a card auth check. Will get refunded in a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Lukker- wrote: »

Yeah, it is a £1 tester.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah, it is a £1 tester.
    Ah wasn't sure. Thanks for the quick replies. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah wasn't sure. Thanks for the quick replies. :)

Yeah happened to me also(but with N26 card). Took 12 days to reappear on the account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

If you're getting notifications that Euro amounts are being deducted then are you letting Amazon do the currency conversion? You're better off paying in Sterling through a Amazon and converting on Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Spotted this on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/KTamas/status/1052885604416057344/photo/1

tl;dr
    To turn it off, go here: More> Profile> Privacy> Marketing pushes

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    If you're getting notifications that Euro amounts are being deducted then are you letting Amazon do the currency conversion? You're better off paying in Sterling through a Amazon and converting on Revolut.

This is what I'm still a bit confused about from reading this thread and other support pages.

So, I should go in to the app and set up a sterling account and pay money I already have in Revolut in my Euro account or transfer from my bank in to the sterling account? And then when I pay on Amazon, the money deducts from the sterling part of my Revolut account?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement