Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

-=al=- wrote: »
    I wouldn't rely on it as a main account, but there's no cost for the card/account. The fees that you may rack up over the year on revolut (depending on your use) could possibly add up to a similar amount compared to a normal bank account but unlikely

As for the fraud situation, it might help to turn off your online transactions in your security settings and just tick it on before you use it yourself for an online purchase. I've been doing it lately since I used it on the hotels.com app I didn't really trust, but I did use a VPN just in case. I've just been a bit more careful since.

Use the temporary card option too.

The more popular the card and service gets and since it has sky rocketed in recent years + the new users getting used to the system, the more attention it will get from fraudsters. There's plenty of security measures in place for it lately

Thanks I set up an account and set up a Sterling account. If I transfer money from my bank to the app will my bank not just charge me for sterling transaction anyway to top up the revolut.

For the fraud piece , I guess they can only take what's in ure revolut account, which would be a lot less than what I would keep in my main bank account .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

testtech05 wrote: »
    Just got message to say my card is frozen due to a suspect transaction. Seems someone tried to purchase something in Japan!!
    Has anyone else been through this with the revolut and maybe know how best to proceed is it to order a new card?

Have a recolut account but weirdly last Wednesday night had this on my personal credit card. 450 on Japan. Rang the bank and cancelled the card. Feckers got a 250 hotel booking on booking. Com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

john_doe. wrote: »
    Thanks I set up an account and set up a Sterling account. If I transfer money from my bank to the app will my bank not just charge me for sterling transaction anyway to top up the revolut.
    Don't transfer Euro to a Sterling account, that misses the entire point of Revolut, you let them handle all the conversions. Just do a SEPA transfer in Euro to your Euro Revolut IBAN.

https://www.revolut.com/ie/help/getting-started/topping-up/by-bank-transfer/transferring-money-to-my-revolut-account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Don't transfer Euro to a Sterling account, that misses the entire point of Revolut, you let them handle all the conversions. Just do a SEPA transfer in Euro to your Euro Revolut IBAN.

https://www.revolut.com/ie/help/getting-started/topping-up/by-bank-transfer/transferring-money-to-my-revolut-account

Thanks, I thought I saw earlier somewhere if buying from Amazon I should be using the Sterling account for revolut though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Thanks, I thought I saw earlier somewhere if buying from Amazon I should be using the Sterling account for revolut though?

You convert your € to £ within the Revolut App. No need to load your account with Sterling. That would defeat the purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That's for payments to amazon.co.uk though (and any other site that deals in £), not incoming funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭NATLOR

No need to use sterling at all. Just top up your card with Euros, pay Amazon in sterling then Revolut will take the equivalent amount in euro from your card at the current exchange rate

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

I've just joined Revolut, to aid with internet purchases in different currencies.
    Easy to top up with €10, just to get started.

A hassle to get the identification working, in the end I had too much glare, and made the room dark to take a correct picture.
    Nothing like wasting 90 minutes trying to figure that out.

The Haven wrote: »
    I've just joined Revolut, to aid with internet purchases in different currencies.
    Easy to top up with €10, just to get started.

A hassle to get the identification working, in the end I had too much glare, and made the room dark to take a correct picture.
    Nothing like wasting 90 minutes trying to figure that out.

I didn't do anything for 4 or 5 weeks after depositing. They emailed offering me a free physical card. Don't know if everyone gets one but worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

I do alot of Internet purchases from different countries, so this makes very sense for me to get it.
    I paid €5.99 for the card for the free account, don't mind that, as after 2-3 decent sized purchases, and I'll start saving ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

I didn't do anything for 4 or 5 weeks after depositing. They emailed offering me a free physical card. Don't know if everyone gets one but worth the wait.

Same here. I topped up, used the money to pay for something. 2-3 weeks later got notification to order a Free card even though before I had checked a few times before and they wanted 5.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

4-5 week wait just to save €6? If you use the physical card feature of revolut it's worth the price of a pint to just get the card quicker :pac:

4-5 week wait just to save €6? If you use the physical card feature of revolut it's worth the price of a pint to just get the card quicker :pac:

I literally only opened the account for an impending trip to the US in the new year. Have no mad need for it right at the minute. But I get your point. I took it as an added bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Couple of strange things happened me in the last day or so, never had these types of things happen despite having Revolut for years. Firstly I did a small grocery shop yesterday evening, paid with my phone, took a bit longer than usual for the phone to recognise the terminal when paying but thought nothing of it. ‘Approved’ flashed up and I was offered my receipt but didn’t take it. Off I went

Later on that evening I was in a different shop and tried to pay with my phone again but nothing happened – I held the phone to the terminal for ages but nothing was happening. I definitely had NFC turned on as I initially got the prompt to unlock my phone. Usually the phone to contactless terminal is very sensitive and I barely need to hold the phone near it for the payment to complete, but nothing at all happened so I paid with cash.

Checked my Revolut this morning and turns out the first payment yesterday was declined so no money was taken (despite having plenty in the account), despite the payment going through at the time. I’m aware that pre authorisation occurs on these cards regularly and the money is returned to a card if a payment doesn’t go through properly, but does the same thing work the other way? The transaction yesterday just has the name of the shop with a line through it, with a ‘please try again’ notification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Just in case anyone is having issues (and may have missed this as I did) - each card has its own security settings where you can switch: location, swipe, contactless, ATM, and online on or off.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

dulux99 wrote: »
    Checked my Revolut this morning and turns out the first payment yesterday was declined so no money was taken (despite having plenty in the account), despite the payment going through at the time. I’m aware that pre authorisation occurs on these cards regularly and the money is returned to a card if a payment doesn’t go through properly, but does the same thing work the other way? The transaction yesterday just has the name of the shop with a line through it, with a ‘please try again’ notification.

A few weeks ago, I had a successful contactless transaction appear as declined in the app, but a few days later the transaction was processed again, this time successfully.

Quackster wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, I had a successful contactless transaction appear as declined in the app, but a few days later the transaction was processed again, this time successfully.

Ah, OK perfect. I'd never seen that happen before. Hopefully my issues are just stand alone ones then, I was concerned maybe something was up with my Google pay or something. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Ah, OK perfect. I'd never seen that happen before. Hopefully my issues are just stand alone ones then, I was concerned maybe something was up with my Google pay or something. Cheers.

If it continues it'll make one hell of a post in Bargain Alerts

"Get free stuff with Revolut and Google Pay"

It happened me a few months ago in Aldi, I tapped the card itself and it went through but then later I noticed it was “declined” and had a line through it. It updated a day or two later with a completed transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

long_b wrote: »
    If it continues it'll make one hell of a post in Bargain Alerts

"Get free stuff with Revolut and Google Pay"

Happened me last year in the states. Got s free slap up meal and drinks for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philster

Tried to set Revolut up with Apple Pay this morning and getting ""Your issuer does not yet offer support for this card".
    Have looked at the Revolut forums and googled and can't find a solution. Any suggestions?

Philster wrote: »
    Tried to set Revolut up with Apple Pay this morning and getting ""Your issuer does not yet offer support for this card".
    Have looked at the Revolut forums and googled and can't find a solution. Any suggestions?

I believe Google pay is only compatible with the mastercards. Are you using a visa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Philster wrote: »

Apple Pay isn't available with Revolut (yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I cant set it up for contactless on Google Pay on my phone it says "The card cannot be setup to pay in stores, this feature isnt supported by your bank"

I believe Google pay is only compatible with the mastercards. Are you using a visa?
    Yes Visa.

Apple Pay isn't available with Revolut (yet).
    Thanks, I misread the comparison chart for Apple Pay with Revolut and N26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

threein99 wrote: »
    I cant set it up for contactless on Google Pay on my phone it says "The card cannot be setup to pay in stores, this feature isnt supported by your bank"

If you try to add the mastercard, that means that you phone failed security standards.

Is you phone on beta or rooted?

If you try to add the mastercard, that means that you phone failed security standards.

Is you phone on beta or rooted?

No its not rooted, its a Samsung S8. It was a VISA Revolut I was trying to add

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

threein99 wrote: »
    No its not rooted, its a Samsung S8. It was a VISA Revolut I was trying to add

Visa does not work, you need one of the mastercards, see what the virtual card is, that might be a mastercard that will work.

• Advertisement

Visa does not work, you need one of the mastercards, see what the virtual card is, that might be a mastercard that will work.

They only have VISA option in the virtual card section.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement