Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Would I be able to get paid wages in the UK into my Revolut account instead of having to set up a UK bank account?

Cant see any reason why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

threein99 wrote: »
    Cant see any reason why not.

Cheers, thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Revolut gbp accounts have lloyds iban's, giving that to an employer should be enough, no need to mention revolut at all

retalivity wrote: »
    Revolut gbp accounts have lloyds iban's, giving that to an employer should be enough, no need to mention revolut at all

Perfect, that's exactly what I need! Saves all the hassle of opening a bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Has anyone had top ups declined despite having sufficient funds ?
    Never happened to me before. I think my bank are up to something.

• Advertisement

Cheers, thanks :)

The only issue I have had so far is Just Energy wouldnt accept the Revolut account for direct debits because they only accept Irish based accounts.

The only issue I have had so far is Just Energy wouldnt accept the Revolut account for direct debits because they only accept Irish based accounts.

Well my new employer will only accept UK bank accounts as that's where I am at the moment, so I couldn't use my Irish bank account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Well my new employer will only accept UK bank accounts as that's where I am at the moment, so I couldn't use my Irish bank account

Both illegal. They are legally obligated to accept any IBAN in the SEPA. I went to war over this with the AA and won.

troyzer wrote: »
    Both illegal. They are legally obligated to accept any IBAN in the SEPA. I went to war over this with the AA and won.

Where would I get info on that ?

Where would I get info on that ?

http://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regdoc/rep/1/2017/EN/COM-2017-683-F1-EN-MAIN-PART-1.PDF
    Consumers across the EU have reported and complained about firms and payments (e.g.,
    tax payments, cross-border utility payments) that can only be done from or to a national
    payment account in euro. Such restrictions are not allowed under article 3 (reachability)
    and article 9 (payment accessibility) of the SEPA Regulation and constitute a real barrier
    to the smooth functioning of SEPA

• Advertisement

The thing with the UK is that they still use sort codes and account numbers instead of IBAN

The thing with the UK is that they still use sort codes and account numbers instead of IBAN

Domestically, yes. But they're still legally required to have IBANs and they can't discriminate against non-British IBANs.

There is a huge issue with SEPA compliance in this area and a lot of the financial institutions and service providers aren't even aware they're breaking the law.

In my case, the AA hadn't got a clue and it took six months before my complaint was elevated to a senior enough person who realised what they had exposed themselves to. They wrote off the rest of insurance premiums and said they'd have a solution by renewal (next month).

If you really get in their face and throw the book at them, they'll back down.

Domestically, yes. But they're still legally required to have IBANs and they can't discriminate against non-British IBANs.

There is a huge issue with SEPA compliance in this area and a lot of the financial institutions and service providers aren't even aware they're breaking the law.

In my case, the AA hadn't got a clue and it took six months before my complaint was elevated to a senior enough person who realised what they had exposed themselves to. They wrote off the rest of insurance premiums and said they'd have a solution by renewal (next month).

If you really get in their face and throw the book at them, they'll back down.

I had no idea about that, I just thought that was the way it was done over here. Thanks for enlightening me.

I think I'll just use my sterling Revolut account because of the ease of having the sort code right there, but I do take your point about standing up to them over it. But it's only a part time job and I'm not really bothered about how I get paid, just that I do, so Revolut will do for the time being :)

I had no idea about that, I just thought that was the way it was done over here. Thanks for enlightening me.

I think I'll just use my sterling Revolut account because of the ease of having the sort code right there, but I do take your point about standing up to them over it. But it's only a part time job and I'm not really bothered about how I get paid, just that I do, so Revolut will do for the time being :)

You can calculate your IBAN from your account number and sort code.

https://www.ibancalculator.com/bic_und_iban.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm having the same issue at the moment as well. Have to call rather than being able to change DD online.

Did you have to battle for long?

I've just got an email back from my alarm monitoring company.
    This is a UK bank account and as your site is set-up in Ireland we cannot use these details, it must be an Irish account.

Effects wrote: »
    Did you have to battle for long?

I've just got an email back from my alarm monitoring company.

It took six months.

Tell them they're in breach of European law by not accepting the SEPA IBAN you give them.

Is there someone they can be reported to as well?

Is there someone they can be reported to as well?

Yes. You need a rejection of your IBAN in writing (which you seem to have).

Then you tell them you're going to submit a complaint to the CCPC.

These lads:

https://www.ccpc.ie/

After telling her it was an acceptable account and part of SEPA, she input the details and the system accepted it.
    I'll keep those details on file in case I need to report anyone in future!

• Advertisement

After telling her it was an acceptable account and part of SEPA, she input the details and the system accepted it.

Well done, this stuff really annoys me because the single market for finance opens a world of possibilities when it comes to banking. But at the moment it only seems theoretical. There are some arms of the state which still discriminate against non Irish IBANs, which is mental.

I think they just see the GB at the start of the IBAN and say no. Even though my Revolut is in Euro and registered to my Irish address.

I think they just see the GB at the start of the IBAN and say no. Even though my Revolut is in Euro and registered to my Irish address.

It wouldn't even matter if it was a GB IBAN denominated in Swiss Francs domiciled in Iceland, they are not allowed to discriminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Would I be able to get paid wages in the UK into my Revolut account instead of having to set up a UK bank account?

Beware: Just make sure your Revolut account has a "local" GB account number.

If you only have a collector/pooled SWIFT GBP account listed then revolut will NOT accept third party transfers (ie a transfer from your employer)

The way to know if you have a local account - go to:-

More->Profile->Account Details->British Pound account.

Look to see if you have two "tabs" one for "LOCAL" one for "SWIFT"
    The local one should have your name as the Beneficiary in pink and your UK a/c number and sort code. If you only have a swift address with IBAN and Beneficiary as "REVOLUT LTD" you can't receive third party incoming funds - you can only receive funds from an account in your own name.

My revolut account account has both but my wife's does not have a local a/c number and she couldn't get one activated by support as they said it was only for UK customers.

msmx5 wrote: »
    Beware: Just make sure your Revolut account has a "local" GB account number.

If you only have a collector/pooled SWIFT GBP account listed then revolut will NOT accept third party transfers (ie a transfer from your employer)

The way to know if you have a local account - go to:-

More->Profile->Account Details->British Pound account.

Look to see if you have two "tabs" one for "LOCAL" one for "SWIFT"
    The local one should have your name as the Beneficiary in pink and your UK a/c number and sort code. If you only have a swift address with IBAN and Beneficiary as "REVOLUT LTD" you can't receive third party incoming funds - you can only receive funds from an account in your own name.

My revolut account account has both but my wife's does not have a local a/c number and she couldn't get one activated by support as they said it was only for UK customers.

Yeah I have both local and swift on mine, despite my Revolut account being registered to my Irish address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I finally got around to signing up for Revolut, quite easy. I only have an ebs money manager account and I wanted something I could use for travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Tried to use the app on phone to pull transfer from ptsb current a/c.

Failed.

Even though it worked in the past.

I must get on to ptsb about it.

Was this with Just Energy ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Hmm... I just had a suspicious transaction of €290 attempted on my revolut account by a name I don't recognise. The transaction was blocked and my card frozen.

Anyone else ever experience something similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Joekers

I'm just back from holidays and the payment for the hotel has been reverted which I'm assuming will be reprocessed?

Also a couple of purchases I made in the airport are not showing up in my transactions anyone ever experience this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement