Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭userfriendly

Geuze wrote: »
    Tried to use the app on phone to pull transfer from ptsb current a/c.

Failed.

Even though it worked in the past.

I must get on to ptsb about it.

Same problem today trying to top up using PTSB visa debit, did you get in touch with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I finally got around to signing up for Revolut, quite easy. I only have an ebs money manager account and I wanted something I could use for travel.

- Good combination - EBS FREE option -no brainer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Same problem today trying to top up using PTSB visa debit, did you get in touch with them?

Just topped up fine with PTSB Debit

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭userfriendly

long_b wrote: »
    Just topped up fine with PTSB Debit

Apologies, got a new card but forgot to update expiration & ccv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Has anyone had much hassle using Google pay with revolut recently ? It's not half as dependable as it once was for me. Even though my phone is unlocked it prompts me every time to unlock, which is fine, but then the payment is failing more and more often. I'm not sure if it's the terminal in the shops fault or mine but it's getting quite annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

dulux99 wrote: »
    Has anyone had much hassle using Google pay with revolut recently ? It's not half as dependable as it once was for me. Even though my phone is unlocked it prompts me every time to unlock, which is fine, but then the payment is failing more and more often. I'm not sure if it's the terminal in the shops fault or mine but it's getting quite annoying.

Would it be your phone or the NFC button? I use google pay with revolut on a daily basis. I used it three times today and no problems, once in a garage and twice in different supermarkets.

I used it in the north during the week also and had no problems except for in an Asda. The lad on the till said I couldn't tap for anything over £30. I found this peculiar because I'm sure I've used revolut through google pay for bigger purchases during the year and never had a problem.
    Luckily I had the actual revolut card with me and I was able to use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is there any way in Ireland to load up one of these cards by paying cash? Or can it only come from other online accounts?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is there any way in Ireland to load up one of these cards by paying cash? Or can it only come from other online accounts?

https://www.revolut.com/ie/help

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I have a supplier in Northern Ireland who I might maybe make 4 - 8 purchases per month off.

I pay this supplier via cheque to avoid the fees on the visa debit card.

The supplier tell me what the price is in euro and I write a euro cheque.

I am just wondering if I transfer funds from business account to a Revolut account, would there be any savings to be made paying with the Revolut card ?

The supplier charges sterling price with their card machine.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What bank charges more to make a debit card payment than write a cheque?! ::eek::

Revolut will save you big time on Sterling foreign exchange and all card transactions are free. What does your bank charge for transfers? The only thing is you might need a business Revolut account, I don't think there's a major practical difference though.

Edit: actually the business account costs minimum £25 p/m. You could make that back on foreign exchange savings though depending on volume.

• Advertisement

josephsoap wrote: »
    I have a supplier in Northern Ireland who I might maybe make 4 - 8 purchases per month off.

I pay this supplier via cheque to avoid the fees on the visa debit card.

The supplier tell me what the price is in euro and I write a euro cheque.

I am just wondering if I transfer funds from business account to a Revolut account, would there be any savings to be made paying with the Revolut card ?

The supplier charges sterling price with their card machine.

Thanks

You will be able to top up in euro, buy sterling when it is advantageous for you, and pay in sterling through the card.
    Apart from the govt stamp duty there are no more charges unless you withdraw hard cash from atms with it.

Thanks folks,

I will not be withdrawing any cash.

Bank of Ireland charge 2% of transaction value. Max charge restricted to 11 or 12 odd euro (business a/c).

So all I have to do is top up the Revolut card and pay in sterling and that’s it ?

Thanks folks,

Bank of Ireland charge 2% of transaction value. Max charge restricted to 11 or 12 odd euro (business a/c).

So all I have to do is top up the Revolut card and pay in sterling and that’s it ?

Yes.

Cool thanks for that.

I will try this out tomorrow.

I know the euro price of items they charge. So will be interesting to see the price I will be charged paying with Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

Thanks folks,

Revolut charge slightly extra at weekends to cover any possible currency fluctuations so keep that in mind.

They also charge a fee for topping up with a commercial Visa card €6 something to top by €500.

Will have to top up via bank transfer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

They also charge a fee for topping up with a commercial Visa card €6 something to top by €500.

That's interesting, Tesco credit card (RIP) refused a payment from my commercial debit card. Never understood why.

Was yours a commercial debit or credit card?

paddy19 wrote: »
    That's interesting, Tesco credit card (RIP) refused a payment from my commercial debit card. Never understood why.

Was yours a commercial debit or credit card?

Commercial debit card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

But don't your bank charge for card use regardless so you should avoid using it anyway if transfer is cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place to ask a Revoult related question which I can't find an answer to elsewhere.

So I have a personal Euro Revoult account with a pre-paid balance on it which I use for online Sterling purchases with Amazon and that's about it.

I'd like to be able to get an ATM/Debit card for my 13 year old to use and to transfer €X to her from time to time as she needs it but I don't want to open a bank account for her, I'd ideally like to have a Revoult ATM card in my own name which I can give him physical possession of to use. Is something like this possible with Revoult? If not is it possible with something like Curve or similar?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place to ask a Revoult related question which I can't find an answer to elsewhere.

So I have a personal Euro Revoult account with a pre-paid balance on it which I use for online Sterling purchases with Amazon and that's about it.

I'd like to be able to get an ATM/Debit card for my 13 year old to use and to transfer €X to her from time to time as she needs it but I don't want to open a bank account for her, I'd ideally like to have a Revoult ATM card in my own name which I can give him physical possession of to use. Is something like this possible with Revoult? If not is it possible with something like Curve or similar?

Thanks in advance.
    You can do it that way of course. And if you’ve any chance to get it, the free cards revolut hand out at their events don’t have a name on them, so there’s no chance your daughter would be questioned about using your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭54and56

Dardania wrote: »
    You can do it that way of course. And if you’ve any chance to get it, the free cards revolut hand out at their events don’t have a name on them, so there’s no chance your daughter would be questioned about using your card.

Thanks Dardania, would you mind letting me know how to get my hands on one of those Revoult ATM/Debit cards? I looked on their website but can't see how to do anything other than sign up for the app which I'm already using and can't see any menu options in the app to apply for a card.

Apologies if I'm being a real dim Tim about this!!

Edit: Just found how to order a standard physical card from within the app which I just did. Couldn't be easier :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Nuno

I've been following this thread for a while and decided today to sign up. Topped up successfully with €30. Went to buy something from Memory.co.uk that was worth €22 and the purchase never went through on the merchants side (some sort of Gateway error) but the money was taken from my account. It's now stuck in a "pending" state for the next 7 days.

Talked to Dean on the app's chat function and they say it's the merchants fault. I talked to the merchant and they say it's the card providers fault. Being burned like this on my first usage has put me right off. I'm sure there are folks who had no issues whatsoever with their accounts and the best of luck to them, but just wanted to share my experience

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I find that the balance is slow to refresh after opening the app, which can be misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Nuno wrote: »
    I've been following this thread for a while and decided today to sign up. Topped up successfully with €30. Went to buy something from Memory.co.uk that was worth €22 and the purchase never went through on the merchants side (some sort of Gateway error) but the money was taken from my account. It's now stuck in a "pending" state for the next 7 days.

Thats common with all sorts of cards if there is some issue when processing the transaction. Its just more visible to you on a Revolut card (in app) and more inconvenient if you only have enough funds on it to cover a single transaction. Pending transactions sometimes clear quicker than 7 days. I'v been using the card for 3 years and have had a good few pending transactions - all resolved correctly. I've also had transactions not work first time around when using other cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

Talked to Dean on the app's chat function and they say it's the merchants fault. I talked to the merchant and they say it's the card providers fault. Being burned like this on my first usage has put me right off. I'm sure there are folks who had no issues whatsoever with their accounts and the best of luck to them, but just wanted to share my experience

Iv been using Revolut for nearly 2 years. With about 50 transactions iv never had any issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭xckjoo

msmx5 wrote: »
    Thats common with all sorts of cards if there is some issue when processing the transaction. Its just more visible to you on a Revolut card (in app) and more inconvenient if you only have enough funds on it to cover a single transaction. Pending transactions sometimes clear quicker than 7 days. I'v been using the card for 3 years and have had a good few pending transactions - all resolved correctly. I've also had transactions not work first time around when using other cards.

I remember one time trying to buy something from Amazon and putting just enough money on the card to cover it. For some reason Amazon decided to do the £1 test charge on the card again that day so ended up with my balance going below the cost of the goods. Very annoying to have to throw another €10 on the card to cover it! One of the many reasons I try to avoid Amazon these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

AFAIK, the first transaction made with a new Revolut card should be done with chip and pin. Was your first purchase made online?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Nuno

RoYoBo wrote: »
    AFAIK, the first transaction made with a new Revolut card should be done with chip and pin. Was your first purchase made online?

yep, the first transaction attempt was online.
    However I don't see any options to get a card on the free plan. I think you have to pay for delivery €5.99. Is that right?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

yep, the first transaction attempt was online.
    However I don't see any options to get a card on the free plan. I think you have to pay for delivery €5.99. Is that right?

Yes, but they offer free physical cards every now and then. You can wait for a few months, or order one now and pay the €6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement