Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

RoYoBo wrote: »
    AFAIK, the first transaction made with a new Revolut card should be done with chip and pin. Was your first purchase made online?

I don't think so. I've never used my card for a physical purchase, only ever online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Nuno wrote: »
    yep, the first transaction attempt was online.
    However I don't see any options to get a card on the free plan. I think you have to pay for delivery €5.99. Is that right?

Ah, I see now - it was just a virtual card you used and not an actual card. As the other poster here mentioned, you do get offered free cards now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You can use your virtual card online with it being the only card on your revolut account.

From what was said it looks like memory.co.uk requested an authorisation which they got but than the further processing failed which results in the amount being blocked for approx 7 days.

The poster could contact the vendor to the get authorization released earlier but other than that this is how cards work.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Nuno

You can use your virtual card online with it being the only card on your revolut account.

From what was said it looks like memory.co.uk requested an authorisation which they got but than the further processing failed which results in the amount being blocked for approx 7 days.

The poster could contact the vendor to the get authorization released earlier but other than that this is how cards work.

I got the money back actually within a few hours. It seems the address I entered on the website doesn't match the details on the card. I'll have to get on to revolut to see what the craic is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

RoYoBo wrote: »
    AFAIK, the first transaction made with a new Revolut card should be done with chip and pin.

This is true, but only to activate the contactless feature on the card. The card will still work online without the pin being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

Davy wrote: »
    This is true, but only to activate the contactless feature on the card. The card will still work online without the pin being used.

Mine didn't. In the app i had a message saying smth along the lines of please note the first transaction must be chip&pin. After that it started working for online shopping.

My first transaction was online also, I did a transaction before I even got the physical card in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

Hi,

I'm working abroad short term and being paid in USD.

Is it possible for my Revolut USD account to receive a monthly SO and once the funds are received I can then exchange to EUR and transfer either to my Revolut EUR account or out to my BOI EUR account?

Basically I want to avoid transfer fees and utilise Revolut for the best Fx rate possible, for example the current EUR/USD rate today is 1.1342 whereas BOI quite 1.1627, quite a difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

narwog81 wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it possible for my Revolut USD account to receive a monthly SO and once the funds are received I can then exchange to EUR and transfer either to my Revolut EUR account or out to my BOI EUR account?

Basically I want to avoid transfer fees and utilise Revolut for the best Fx rate possible, for example the current EUR/USD rate today is 1.1342 whereas BOI quite 1.1627, quite a difference!

What do you mean by receive a monthly standing order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Hi,

Better rates available through the likes of transferwise/go.....

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    What do you mean by receive a monthly standing order?

Get my salary paid into the Revolut USD account

Better rates available through the likes of transferwise/go.....

So right now Transfer wise are giving .87895 + fees, currency fair are .8756 + fee whereas Revolut are .8752 and no fees on USD to EUR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Get my salary paid into the Revolut USD account

It depends on how the sender is going to send the money. If hey can send using a SWIFT transaction they can send to a revolut account. But that’s not likely (or rather there may be additional costs for them)
    TransferWise by comparison gives a wire transfer number which might be a more recognisable way for US companies to send money to an account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I could potentially be receiving a large sum of USD - is the best way to receive it via Transfer-Wise, and then send that to my Irish bank account?

When I've done this before, my own bank apply a crazy transfer rate and I get substantially less than expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Did I read at some point in this thread that it was possible to tap and pay with the app itself, outside of Google or Apple Pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I could potentially be receiving a large sum of USD - is the best way to receive it via Transfer-Wise, and then send that to my Irish bank account?

When I've done this before, my own bank apply a crazy transfer rate and I get substantially less than expected.

Could you just change it to Euros in the app and just withdraw using the card ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Do you mean the Revolut app?
    Revolut doesn't offer the US-format bank account details (Wire / Routing number etc) to accept transfers in USD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

bromley52 wrote: »
    Iv been using Revolut for nearly 2 years. With about 50 transactions iv never had any issues

+1

I usually top up my card with a weekly allowance & use it for day to day spending. I find it great for keeping track & helps me not overspend. The fact that transations show straight away is a big plus for me & I find the vault brilliant, you would be surprised how quick the savings add up by using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Hurrache wrote: »
    Did I read at some point in this thread that it was possible to tap and pay with the app itself, outside of Google or Apple Pay?

Revolut does not offer that feature.

You might be thinking of boon. or bunq or icard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Anyone having difficulty topping up via apple pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Anyone having difficulty topping up via apple pay?

Google pay is not working for me thought it might have been my bank but looks like its revolut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is revolut suitable as a replacement for a current account, or should it only be used for periodic transactions in other currencies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Is revolut suitable as a replacement for a current account, or should it only be used for periodic transactions in other currencies?

This is my question too.

I got a card when the BA thread appeared at the time but have never actually used it. I do all my shopping in Euro or Sterling (Amazon/eBay) and I can't find a valid enough reason to switch from my current account/debit card.

If they had a proper online banking site (didn't last time I looked) that might help as I HATE doing stuff like that on a mobile phone screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cubah

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I got a card when the BA thread appeared at the time but have never actually used it. I do all my shopping in Euro or Sterling (Amazon/eBay) and I can't find a valid enough reason to switch from my current account/debit card.

You answered your own question. You save a fortune in fx fees with revolut if you use it for all your online shopping. It all adds up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I have my revolut account a few months now. I find it handy for paying for fuel etc. What's bugging me is online payments. I'm looking to pick up a few black Friday deals but I'm not sure if the card works with Amazon? Or another site "AO" based in the UK. I would hate to buy x amount of sterling to buy something only to find the seller does not accept revolut payments.

Is there a special name or term for using revolut card payments ? It's not a credit card payment or debit payment. What payment type is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I have my revolut account a few months now. I find it handy for paying for fuel etc. What's bugging me is online payments. I'm looking to pick up a few black Friday deals but I'm not sure if the card works with Amazon? Or another site "AO" based in the UK. I would hate to buy x amount of sterling to buy something only to find the seller does not accept revolut payments.

Is there a special name or term for using revolut card payments ? It's not a credit card payment or debit payment. What payment type is it?

I'm bed to revolut, I don't really understand your question. When I use resolute I did so on Amazon UK, elected to pay in GBP, and so availed of the Revolut GBP/EUR rate. Is that not how it works? How would you "buy" sterling? Why would you want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cubah

It will work on literally any site that accepts mastercard or whatever type of card revolut give you (sometimes visa). It's a debit card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I use it all the time on Amazon, for both independent and Amazon sellers.
    I've added the card, (mastercard), and it just goes through as a normal debit card. It can be used even on the 1 click.

When I'm not using it I either freeze it altogether or just exclude the online purchases option.
    I wish my PTSB card was as secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

For Amazon purchases I'll buy an Amazon gift card (in GBP) with my Revolut card.

Picked that tip up here - saves any possible hassle around Amazon placing any pending charges on the card which could temporarily hurt your available balance on the card.

https://community.revolut.com/t/transaction-double-charged-if-showing-as-pending-and-other-as-completed/6348/3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

For Amazon purchases I'll buy an Amazon gift card (in GBP) with my Revolut card.

Picked that tip up here - saves any possible hassle around Amazon placing any pending charges on the card which could temporarily hurt your available balance on the card.

https://community.revolut.com/t/transaction-double-charged-if-showing-as-pending-and-other-as-completed/6348/3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement