Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

If anyone is interested on how this works in Mexico/Cancun its flawless much like when i went to Port Douglas every transaction has been made with simple ease. Not one glitch. Further cements my further use and backing of the platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭Jeff2

What ID do you need to verify account please.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

Doge wrote: »
    I forgot that the same thing happened another user in the Amazon BF chat thread:

I'm hoping the same thing happened now but the refund hasn't showed up in my Revolut card yet.

Otherwise I'll be down £122!

Just an update,
    The payment has been reverted and is back in my account. Phew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

C0N0R wrote: »
    Not sure if I’m in the right place here but wanted to ask some advice. To cut a long story short, I’m basically paid in usd, if I setup a revolut account, transferred the usd into that account and then changed the usd to euro and transferred that to my AIB account would that work? Would I get preferred exchange rates??

I'm wondering the same thing. I do a few gigs in the UK and wondering, is it possible for them to pay me in sterling into a revolut account and dodge bank fees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Doge wrote: »
    Just an update,
    The payment has been reverted and is back in my account. Phew!

had the exact same issue before and it really depends how long you;ll be refunded. between 24 hours to 10 days apparently :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

C0N0R wrote: »
    Not sure if I’m in the right place here but wanted to ask some advice. To cut a long story short, I’m basically paid in usd, if I setup a revolut account, transferred the usd into that account and then changed the usd to euro and transferred that to my AIB account would that work? Would I get preferred exchange rates??

No is the short answer.

For USD at present they do not offer individual account numbers and require the payment to go into a central account with s reference number and that payment also needs to be via the swift network. Central accounts are only for payments from yourself (the name of the revolut and sender should match). Once in a while they don't control that but in principle that is the rules.

For €/£ they offer individual account numbers which can receive funds from 3rd parties.

For your USD purpose, have a look at transferwise borderless account which gives you a USD bank account number (us account/sort code so no need for swift). Than from there throw the money over to Revolut to avoid the transferwise 0.6% conversion fee. As the sender (in my experience) is shown as you Revolut will accept it. Than convert it there to €.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

No is the short answer.

For USD at present they do not offer individual account numbers and require the payment to go into a central account with s reference number and that payment also needs to be via the swift network. Central accounts are only for payments from yourself (the name of the revolut and sender should match). Once in a while they don't control that but in principle that is the rules.

For €/£ they offer individual account numbers which can receive funds from 3rd parties.

For your USD purpose, have a look at transferwise borderless account which gives you a USD bank account number (us account/sort code so no need for swift). Than from there throw the money over to Revolut to avoid the transferwise 0.6% conversion fee. As the sender (in my experience) is shown as you Revolut will accept it. Than convert it there to €.

just out of curiousity how do you get from transferwise to revolut without incurring fees? Is it a push or a pull (like topup revolut from the transferwise debit card)?

Dardania wrote: »
    just out of curiousity how do you get from transferwise to revolut without incurring fees? Is it a push or a pull (like topup revolut from the transferwise debit card)?

You could use the transferwise debit card to load your revolut wallet, but with larger amounts that might be tricky due to spending limits and it depends on how the card is coded. Revolut might charge a fee if it does think it's a non EEA card or commercial, as it sometimes does. But once they accept it as EEA non commercial card it should be free to use it to top up as long as you use $ as currency.

The usual option would be to withdraw from the borderless account to a bank acocunt, while it's not free anymore, you will now pay $3.00 to withdraw the money. You will be sending money to the US $ IBAN of Revolut with the individual reference Number.

But if you have more than 50$ to withdraw that is still cheaper than paying the 0.6% conversation/withdraw fee from borderless to a € account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

SO the best route to get money from the US and not incur the most fees is:

1. Transfer to your US Transfer Wise account in USD (Using Account number and routing number)
    2. Transfer the dollar amount from TransferWise to your Revolut US IBAN and Reference code?

Will TransferWise allow you to transfer a dollar amount to an IBAN?

SO the best route to get money from the US and not incur the most fees is:

1. Transfer to your US Transfer Wise account in USD (Using Account number and routing number)
    2. Transfer the dollar amount from TransferWise to your Revolut US IBAN and Reference code?

Will TransferWise allow you to transfer a dollar amount to an IBAN?

I would suggest that you test it and eat the 3$ fee for a withdraw to ensure that your account is shown as your sender. Mine did show my name but there is no guarantee so you should test before going down that route.

There are other options and a 0.6% fee on withdrawing from transferwise directly to a € is not too bad either and it's quicker.

But in principle this way is easy to set up and not too costly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Nice one. Yeah the money I have from the US is a high-value shares amount so not worth the grief if something goes wrong.

What are the other options you mentioned? I presume going direct from the US to my Irish bank account would be one of the worst? :D

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

rahmalec wrote: »
    I'm wondering the same thing. I do a few gigs in the UK and wondering, is it possible for them to pay me in sterling into a revolut account and dodge bank fees?

You have to activate your Revolut UK GBP account.
    In the app > more > profile > account details > add account >British Pound account.
    Use the account details as shown under “local” not “SWIFT”. (name, account number, sort code.)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

I’ve made the switch and use my Revolut for my everyday banking now, transfer my discretionary cash in each pay check.

I currently bank with EBS so it’s free from charges but no online app where the Revolut app is brilliant.

Main issues I’ve notified are minor such as can’t use on pre pay petrol pumps and some online like Domino’s orders can fail.

Other then that it allows me manage my money better and leave my other accounts to simply deal with direct debit etc.. and no fees once I stick to their T&Cs.

Really can’t recommend this enough.. do many other of yous use the Revolut card as their primary card now also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

An Cigire wrote:
    Really can’t recommend this enough.. do many other of yous use the Revolut card as their primary card now also?

No I don't use as my primary card and I have this for over two years now, I can't fault it, used it without issue in USA and recently in London, great for the underground, no need for an oyster card, but as it's still not bank guaranteed I think, I would not have my income paid into it, I usually transfer a few hundred at a time. When its bank guaranteed, then I would consider it as my primary card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sorry, I have not read the entire thread, but I am trying to top-up my account from a ptsb current a/c, ptsb visa debit card, and it is declined.

Has this happened to anybody else?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,606 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Geuze wrote: »
    Sorry, I have not read the entire thread, but I am trying to top-up my account from a ptsb current a/c, ptsb visa debit card, and it is declined.

Has this happened to anybody else?

Thanks.

Sorry, I checked the app again.

The ptsb Visa debit card number was ok, but the expiry date is earlier than the actual card expiry date.

Maybe an older card was registered to the app.

Thanks anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭paska

Going to buy a tv on Amazon. Do I change the money in the app to sterling or just pay. it 25 euro cheaper paid in sterling. Will the app convert it itself or do I need to change to sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

paska wrote:
    Going to buy a tv on Amazon. Do I change the money in the app to sterling or just pay. it 25 euro cheaper paid in sterling. Will the app convert it itself or do I need to change to sterling

Have amazon charge the card in £

If you have no £ on the card, revolut will convert € to £

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Make sure you have enough to cover the amount in £ or the € equivalent of it

To avoid any amazon hassle, purchase an amazon voucher in £ to pay for the total cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Got this sorted
    Wouldn't except public services card or licence.

Passport worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Does anybody know how the Revolut card "Location Based Security" feature is supposed to work. The reason I ask is that I had the feature enabled on my mobile (with GPS turned on) but was still able to use my card to complete a contactless payment even though my mobile was located about 4 kilometers from where I made the purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how the Revolut card "Location Based Security" feature is supposed to work. The reason I ask is that I had the feature enabled on my mobile (with GPS turned on) but was still able to use my card to complete a contactless payment even though my mobile was located about 4 kilometers from where I made the purchase.

It has to be the same country I think. It's not designed to protect you if your card is robbed or lost at Tesco or something. It's designed to protect you if your card details are skimmed at an ATM or online. Most of those scams are controlled from Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

Apologies if this has been asked loads of times before, but has anyone been able to add one4all voucher to their revolut card? I've done with perfectincentive cards in the past without any issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Apologies if this has been asked loads of times before, but has anyone been able to add one4all voucher to their revolut card? I've done with perfectincentive cards in the past without any issues

No. A revolut card for all intents and purposes is a bank atm issued by either Visa or Mastercard. It is not the sort of payg card that you can top up at your local newsagents etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

troyzer wrote: »
    It has to be the same country I think. It's not designed to protect you if your card is robbed or lost at Tesco or something. It's designed to protect you if your card details are skimmed at an ATM or online. Most of those scams are controlled from Asia.

It's a bit more precise than that - in my experience it is city level.

I was on a train from Stockholm to Malmo. I was able to buy a beer when I got on the train, but for the followup ber an hour or so outside, the transaction failed due to location issues (the credit card machine had Stockholm listed as it's address).

In practice I switch the feature off usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Dardania wrote: »
    It's a bit more precise than that - in my experience it is city level.
    Depends on the city, in New York I couldn't use it down the street from where I last had WiFi as my location wasn't updated so it didn't match the location of the paypoint. Seems to work in well defined places like that (if you have a data connection).

I turned it off because of the poor map lookups it uses here. I tried to pay for something in a garage in Ballinlough, Cork once but it thought the garage was in Ballinlough, Roscommon and I was stuck until I figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Ive used it in the Middle East and Asia and never had issues with the location. I only had wifi in hotel so when i was out i had no internet.
    I gave the card to my Sister when she went to Cuba and it wouldn't work. I turned of the location and it worked fine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

one4all cant be used directly but you can purchase a vplusprepaid card with your one4all and use that I believe. Make sure to look at section 10 in the T&cs are there are charges.

My advice on one4all vouchers is to avoid them if you can but if you are stuck with them, make sure to spend as soon as you can so they don't devalue with the ridiculous monthly charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

august12 wrote: »
    No I don't use as my primary card and I have this for over two years now, I can't fault it, used it without issue in USA and recently in London, great for the underground, no need for an oyster card, but as it's still not bank guaranteed I think, I would not have my income paid into it, I usually transfer a few hundred at a time. When its bank guaranteed, then I would consider it as my primary card.

It’s now the only card I use online but I like being able to transfer money into the card instantly knowing that my main bank remains ‘hidden’ from all online purchases.

Likewise when I travel I use Revolut almost exclusively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I have a few questions about Revolut which I'm hoping some sound individual can help answer!

I'm going to New York next week and thought that Revolut would be a good way to pay for some items (general shopping, etc.) whilst saving the cash for eating/drinking/tips. First question, if I transfer from my bank account into my Revolut account, this transaction should happen immediately? (I've done this a few times already in Ireland, but just want to ensure that same transaction will run smoothly whilst I'm abroad). Second question, when in NYC, and I want to pay using Revolut, is there an option to select my dollars account when paying, rather than my euros account?

Thanks in advance from a rookie Revolut user!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement