Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I have a few questions about Revolut which I'm hoping some sound individual can help answer!

I'm going to New York next week and thought that Revolut would be a good way to pay for some items (general shopping, etc.) whilst saving the cash for eating/drinking/tips. First question, if I transfer from my bank account into my Revolut account, this transaction should happen immediately? (I've done this a few times already in Ireland, but just want to ensure that same transaction will run smoothly whilst I'm abroad). Second question, when in NYC, and I want to pay using Revolut, is there an option to select my dollars account when paying, rather than my euros account?

Thanks in advance from a rookie Revolut user!

Topping up by card is instant. Topping up by transfer depends on how long your bank takes to process transfers.

Revolut will automatically take balance away from the currency you're spending in. If you have $50 balance, that'll be used up first before it starts to eat into your Euro balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

troyzer wrote: »
    Topping up by card is instant. Topping up by transfer depends on how long your bank takes to process transfers.

Revolut will automatically take balance away from the currency you're spending in. If you have $50 balance, that'll be used up first before it starts to eat into your Euro balance.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I have a few questions about Revolut which I'm hoping some sound individual can help answer!

I'm going to New York next week and thought that Revolut would be a good way to pay for some items (general shopping, etc.) whilst saving the cash for eating/drinking/tips. First question, if I transfer from my bank account into my Revolut account, this transaction should happen immediately? (I've done this a few times already in Ireland, but just want to ensure that same transaction will run smoothly whilst I'm abroad). Second question, when in NYC, and I want to pay using Revolut, is there an option to select my dollars account when paying, rather than my euros account?

Thanks in advance from a rookie Revolut user!

I used my revolut card in New York 2 months ago and had no hassle. I used it exactly how you intend to, for shopping. I used cash in bars and for tips. Contactless payments worked aswell and when I put the card in the machine when paying at the till it always used my dollars account, maybe in one shop it asked if I wanted to pay in Sterling and had it's own conversion rates, I said no and it used the dollar account. For topping up my revolut account I always use my debit card or google pay and it's instant. Always top up in euro's, then convert it into the currency you want.

Enjoy your trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Just remember to pay in the local currency if you are given the option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Davexirl wrote: »
    I used my revolut card in New York 2 months ago and had no hassle. I used it exactly how you intend to, for shopping. I used cash in bars and for tips. Contactless payments worked aswell and when I put the card in the machine when paying at the till it always used my dollars account, maybe in one shop it asked if I wanted to pay in Sterling and had it's own conversion rates, I said no and it used the dollar account. For topping up my revolut account I always use my debit card or google pay and it's instant. Always top up in euro's, then convert it into the currency you want.

Enjoy your trip
    Cheers for the help/advice. Can always rely on Boards to sort a problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

threein99 wrote: »
    Just remember to pay in the local currency if you are given the option.

+ make sure to be billed (demand if required) in local currency, if not given an option. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

Just got an email to say Cryptocurrency enabled in my Revolut app, i'm a normal card user.

Anyone else?

1.5% cost though, so you should use a proper crypto exchange if you want crypto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

The Haven wrote: »
    Just got an email to say Cryptocurrency enabled in my Revolut app, i'm a normal card user.

Anyone else?

1.5% cost though, so you should use a proper crypto exchange if you want crypto.

it's for speculation rather than actually holding & using. You can't lodge / withdraw crypto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Hi all,

I'm new to revolut and have a few questions. Sorry if it's been asked before. I'm going to London for the weekend. Is there anything to watch out in relation to fees at an ATM? It will work at point of sale too? Is there a limit on pos or extra charges after a certain amount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

You can withdraw up to £200 pounds a month without fees. Card transactions are free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Looking forward to that. Will really encourage me to move to Revolut for my day-to-day spending as I use my watch and phone a with my Irish bank card.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Mr.S wrote: »
    Apple Pay launching in Germany “soon” with more countries in January.

where did you see this?

eeloe wrote: »
    where did you see this?

On Twitter probably.

They only tweeted that after they saw N26 & Bunq tweeting out their (actual) Apple Pay support launches this morning.

At least though Revolut tweeted a screen showing Apple Pay support: https://twitter.com/RevolutApp/status/1072458981237551105

I'm in their beta wave, and haven't seen Apple Pay yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've been waiting for this for sooo long.

Currently using boon, but i use Revolut a lot, and if i could just use Revolut for ApplePay i'd be sorted.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Launching in early 2019 for DE.

I hope you’re right but fear they’ve over promised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I am new to this card and a bit confused about the security settings.

If the switch is blue and on the right hand side, does that mean its allowed and security disabled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

coldfire1x wrote: »
    I am new to this card and a bit confused about the security settings.

If the switch is blue and on the right hand side, does that mean its allowed and security disabled?

Yes

Yes

So if the switch is on, I can use any of the features?

Weird, today I was trying to pay something by card in a shop. 2 attempts - both declined. No notification on the phone.

Any idea why this will happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

So if the switch is on, I can use any of the features?

Weird, today I was trying to pay something by card in a shop. 2 attempts - both declined. No notification on the phone.

Any idea why this will happen?

Chip + PIN or contactless transactions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Anyone upgraded to metal? And see any benefits other than a flashy card?

Chip + PIN or contactless transactions?

Chip and Pin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Don't you have to activate it by using chip and pin first?

The weird part was I didnt even get the option to enter the pin. The shop assistant said the card is declined. He gave me 2 printouts from the card machine.

I then my used the bank card without any issue. That was just contactless.

Thats when I thought maybe my security settings are not right.

Wheety wrote: »
    Don't you have to activate it by using chip and pin first?

I was going to use chip and pin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I was going to use chip and pin.

All your settings look fine. Have you topped up your account?

I've had mine so long, I can't remember if there's another step. I thought it was just that you had to make a chip and pin transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The weird part was I didnt even get the option to enter the pin. The shop assistant said the card is declined. He gave me 2 printouts from the card machine.

I then my used the bank card without any issue. That was just contactless.

Thats when I thought maybe my security settings are not right.

The receipt will tell you why it was declines. But if there is not notification or record in the App than most likely they never even went to request and authorization.

Did you ever use the card before, if not, it might be that the shop does ont have the right terminal to allow you a first purchase as it will activate elements on the chip on the card. Go to an ATM and do any action (like attempting to check balance) that should do the trick.

If you used the card before, maybe there is an issue with you having entered the wrong PIN/CVV when shopping, go into the app and have a look at Unblock PIN/CVV to get another 3 tries.

But that is all speculation, look at the receipt.

Wheety wrote: »
    All your settings look fine. Have you topped up your account?

I've had mine so long, I can't remember if there's another step. I thought it was just that you had to make a chip and pin transaction.

Yes have sufficient fund in my account.

The receipt will tell you why it was declines. But if there is not notification or record in the App than most likely they never even went to request and authorization.

Did you ever use the card before, if not, it might be that the shop does ont have the right terminal to allow you a first purchase as it will activate elements on the chip on the card. Go to an ATM and do any action (like attempting to check balance) that should do the trick.

If you used the card before, maybe there is an issue with you having entered the wrong PIN/CVV when shopping, go into the app and have a look at Unblock PIN/CVV to get another 3 tries.

But that is all speculation, look at the receipt.

There's nothing much on the receipt other than saying transaction declined. I dint get a chance to enter the pin. It was declined even before I was about the pin.

Going to ATM is a good suggestion. I will give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

There's nothing much on the receipt other than saying transaction declined. I dint get a chance to enter the pin. It was declined even before I was about the pin.

Going to ATM is a good suggestion. I will give it a try.

if still not working just change the pin using the app and head to an atm again to reactivate it. had an instance where a store did not accept my card so have to use an alternative

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement