Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I'm planning on using the revolut card to control my spending while I save up a mortgage deposit. Basically I will just top the card up by the same amount each week and use it for all the day to day expenses. If I use less on a given week, I'll just top it back up to the same amount Etc.

When the bank look at statements as part of a mortgage application, do you think the number/magnitude of transactions to the revolut card would be a red flag to them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

wayne0308 wrote: »
    I'm planning on using the revolut card to control my spending while I save up a mortgage deposit. Basically I will just top the card up by the same amount each week and use it for all the day to day expenses. If I use less on a given week, I'll just top it back up to the same amount Etc.

When the bank look at statements as part of a mortgage application, do you think the number/magnitude of transactions to the revolut card would be a red flag to them?

Someone earlier in the thread (or possibly another thread) said the bank they were applying to asked for statements from their Revolut account. Not a red flag as such but if you are planning to use your Revolut account to get away with things banks normally consider a red flag (such as regular gambling) then I would reconsider. For normal, day to day expenses, travelling, buying stuff in other currencies then I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Someone earlier in the thread (or possibly another thread) said the bank they were applying to asked for statements from their Revolut account. Not a red flag as such but if you are planning to use your Revolut account to get away with things banks normally consider a red flag (such as regular gambling) then I would reconsider. For normal, day to day expenses, travelling, buying stuff in other currencies then I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks! I read somewhere that Revolut actually block gambling websites themselves, not sure if this is true or not. I have no plans to use it for this purpose however.

I want to use it to force myself to stick to a certain budget each week/month on things like food, clothes, diesel - basically anything I have been using my debit card from the bank to purchase. This will hopefully make it a bit easier to manage. Hoping it'll be a bit safer too as I'll never have too much money on the card at any one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

wayne0308 wrote: »
    Thanks! I read somewhere that Revolut actually block gambling websites themselves, not sure if this is true or not. I have no plans to use it for this purpose however.

I want to use it to force myself to stick to a certain budget each week/month on things like food, clothes, diesel - basically anything I have been using my debit card from the bank to purchase. This will hopefully make it a bit easier to manage. Hoping it'll be a bit safer too as I'll never have too much money on the card at any one time.

They don't block gambling sites.

You can have a budget per card. So it's handy if you have one for day to day spending and another card for online shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Went through a few mortgage applications for approval etc, they 100% ask for Revolut statements.

Thankfully theyre very easy to generate in the app and get an instant PDF. If only our banks were the same...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Revolut have got their European banking license. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/13/revolut-secures-european-banking-license.html

Also here https://news.sky.com/story/british-fintech-unicorn-revolut-wins-banking-licence-11578895

(Odd that there's nothing on their blog or Twitter account about it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

Revolut announced it was granted a banking license by the European Central Bank (ECB) that it will start to implement next year across key markets including the U.K., France, Germany and Poland.

Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Glad I bought some shares now in the crowd funding a few years back! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Fair play. It really seemed to skyrocket in the last year alone and probably will continue to do so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I need to transfer money from my PTSB account to a Halifax account in the UK.
    PTSB apparently charge €31.50 to transfer to a UK account, so I've set up a Revolut account to be the middle-man to avoid this 31.50.
    As far as I can see, Revolut will be completely free to use for this purpose?
    Just wondering; do PTSB charge any fee for transferring to a Revolut account?
    And will the Halifax UK account charge any receiving fee on the other side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Charisteas wrote:
    I need to transfer money from my PTSB account to a Halifax account in the UK. PTSB apparently charge €31.50 to transfer to a UK account, so I've set up a Revolut account to be the middle-man to avoid this 31.50. As far as I can see, Revolut will be completely free to use for this purpose? Just wondering; do PTSB charge any fee for transferring to a Revolut account? And will the Halifax UK account charge any receiving fee on the other side?

I use Revolut to transfer money from a UK bank to an Irish bank & neither charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Charisteas wrote: »
    PTSB apparently charge €31.50 to transfer to a UK account, so I've set up a Revolut account to be the middle-man to avoid this 31.50.

Why do PTSB charge for transfers? Is it because it's in Stirling?

How big is the transfer? Revolut fees kick in over a certain amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You will not incur any charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

PTSB doesn't charge any fees for transferring money to Revolut account. I have done it myself; I have transferred the money to Revolut from PTSB using PTSB debit card. Hope it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

SEPA transfers should be free regardless. Is that for an urgent transfer or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

TheChizler wrote: »
    SEPA transfers should be free regardless. Is that for an urgent transfer or something?

A euro payment to a sterling account wouldn't be covered by SEPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

A euro payment to a sterling account wouldn't be covered by SEPA.

It is, the exchange isn't though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

I can only answer the ptsb to revolut, no charge. Just add your ptsb card in your revolut and top up with the amount you want. It's instant, the amount you wished to topped up will be in your revolut account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Thanks to everyone who replied, it's put my mind at ease.
    troyzer wrote: »
    Why do PTSB charge for transfers? Is it because it's in Stirling?

I don't know. I guess they would have made a little profit from the currency exchange of my euros into sterling anyway, before then sending that sterling to the UK account, so I'm not really sure what the 31.50 covers.

Nope it's not urgent, I just simply want to avoid the 31.50 fee if Revolut can provide the same procedure for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

With Revolut it's not just this fee you would be avoiding but also crappy exchange rates set by the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Thanks to everyone who replied, it's put my mind at ease.

I don't know. I guess they would have made a little profit from the currency exchange of my euros into sterling anyway, before then sending that sterling to the UK account, so I'm not really sure what the 31.50 covers.

Nope it's not urgent, I just simply want to avoid the 31.50 fee if Revolut can provide the same procedure for free.
    I wonder were they covering to Sterling and charging you for a non-SEPA transfer then. Once you're sending Euro and the receiving bank is in a SEPA country they should only be charging you the same as a local transfer.

But you'd be hit for exchange fees at the other side regardless so yes Revolut would be a good bet there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Hey all, I'm trying to add a new AIB card to my revolut account. The verification 8 digit code is not being delivered at all. Anyone else encounter this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm trying to add a new AIB card to my revolut account. The verification 8 digit code is not being delivered at all. Anyone else encounter this?

Do you get other codes from Aib before now okay>?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

I am looking for iban & bic of revoult
    what i am given on revoult does not work
    IBAN Starts GB 42 REVO & BIC REVOGB
    Which is wrong. Help please

homingbird wrote: »
    I am looking for iban & bic of revoult
    what i am given on revoult does not work
    IBAN Starts GB 42 REVO & BIC REVOGB
    Which is wrong. Help please

Its not wrong. You can transfer euro into it without issue covered under SEPA.
    If your online banking is giving you issues taking it, you can add funds using the bank debit card just as easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

ok i topped up my revoult with my bank card how do i return some money to my card if not my bank account.

homingbird wrote: »
    ok i topped up my revoult with my bank card how do i return some money to my card if not my bank account.

If you want to transfer balance out of your Revolut account, you need to transfer to your bank account IBAN, not your card. (Payments > Bank transfer > add account)

The card is for adding funds easily to Revolut, without having to wait till next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Gooser14

La_Gordy wrote:

Which mobile network are you on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭Soarer

Probably been answered in the previous 441 pages, but can you top up a Revolut card using a One4All card?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement