Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Soarer wrote: »
    Probably been answered in the previous 441 pages, but can you top up a Revolut card using a One4All card?

No, you can only top up via debit/credit card or bank transfer. I don't think any gift cards like One4All will work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Probably been answered in the previous 441 pages, but can you top up a Revolut card using a One4All card?
    Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=One4All&thread=2057481488

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Just saw a mail from Revolut, free card until Christmas day for new customers.
    Over the next few months, we’ve got some neat things coming your way. From budgeting controls per category to commission-free stock trading, you’re in for a treat.

Right now, you probably know someone who is travelling overseas for Christmas or looking to budget their spending in the New Year, so why not let them know about Revolut?

From now until Christmas Day, all new customers can order their first Revolut card for free. So, if you’re looking for that last minute stocking filler, let your friends, family and colleagues know! And remember, Revolut is better with friends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Is Lithuania another Iceland banking crisis in the making?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/dec/22/lithuania-iceland-banking-revolut?

Interesting article in the Guardian questioning why Revolut obtained its banking licence in Lithuania and whether deposits would actually be covered in the (unlikely) event of a meltdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Is Lithuania another Iceland banking crisis in the making?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/dec/22/lithuania-iceland-banking-revolut?

Interesting article in the Guardian questioning why Revolut obtained its banking licence in Lithuania and whether deposits would actually be covered in the (unlikely) event of a meltdown.

Interesting article for sure (if a bit slanted). I'm happy to keep the balance low on my account and top up as needed (as many do on here)

long_b wrote: »
    Interesting article for sure (if a bit slanted). I'm happy to keep the balance low on my account and top up as needed (as many do on here)

Yeah. I've never held a balance on it and have never thought it was suitable as my primary card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

As the article rights suggests ...

The risks vary depending on whether we are talking about ringfenced e-money protection or DGS or EDIS.

Deposits with Revolut are currently ring-fenced in a UK regulated bank but without insurance but without banking risks (Revolut cannot lend out the money because it is ring-fenced) and in compliance with e-money regulation. The risk is low.

The European Deposit Insurance Scheme (EDIS), which is at proposal stage and not yet implemented would mean that deposits, once Revolut moves away from emoney regulations, would fall under the national Lithuanian national deposit guarantee scheme (DGS) rather than a pan-European approach. Questions are rightly being asked about the Lithuanian DGS in the context of ability to pay out.

If EDIS is approved and implemented, before Revolut switch the protection method, then the risk seems very low. If Lithuanian DGS fails that EDIS acts as a further safety net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Just saw a mail from Revolut, free card until Christmas day for new customers.

How to get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

It looks like that Revolut has now issued individual IBAN account numbers for $ and £ payments. Check your settings, you might see an IBAN that has your name as receiver with no need for a reference number.

That means you can receive SWIFT transfers directly in $ from anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

It looks like that Revolut has now issued individual IBAN account numbers for $ and £ payments. Check your settings, you might see an IBAN that has your name as receiver with no need for a reference number.

Sorry to burst your bubble. I have a US trading account and tried to transfer dollars to my revolut and because GB was.in front of the iban clearing through swift refused to transfer into this account and I had to use an Irish account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

noel100 wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your bubble. I have a US trading account and tried to transfer dollars to my revolut and because GB was.in front of the iban clearing through swift refused to transfer into this account and I had to use an Irish account.

Soinds like a problem at the senders end...
    For future reference, transfer wise borderless might suit you. Local new York account number and hen you can send it wherever you want. Or spend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

noel100 wrote: »

That makes no sense, if that bank allowed you a swift transfer to your Irish account they also would have allowed a transfer to a UK account.

Most likely the problem is that because of the way swift works they had to use an intermediate bank as they don't have a direct relationship with revolut but as revolut uses llodys that should not be an issue.

Its a problem of your US bank most likely.

Also the IBAN requires the US bank to do Swift wire transfers which are more expensive and not domestic wires or even the free ACH. It's not ideal but a step into the right direction.

You could always use transfer wise borderless account to get free transfer via ACH and than swift to Revolut for 6$ and still get good rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,979 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Any idea how to contact Revolut? Their in-app chat is just a bot that isn't helping

My card expired last night and won't allow me to order a replacement.. tried reinstalling app and it just keeps saying 'something went wrong'.. I've been trying on a number of occasions for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Basq wrote: »
    Any idea how to contact Revolut? Their in-app chat is just a bot that isn't helping

My card expired last night and won't allow me to order a replacement.. tried reinstalling app and it just keeps saying 'something went wrong'.. I've been trying on a number of occasions for the last few weeks.

Their email is support@revolut.com or try their Twitter @revolutapp. They seem to be active on Twitter as they have replied to tweets in the last hour

Their email is support@revolut.com or try their Twitter @revolutapp. They seem to be active on Twitter as they have replied to tweets in the last hour
    Thanks.. sorted!

FYI - if anyone else is having issues ordering a replacement card, I'd my postal code set as 'N/A'.. so I updated it to my Eircode and went through fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Thanks.. sorted!

FYI - if anyone else is having issues ordering a replacement card, I'd my postal code set as 'N/A'.. so I updated it to my Eircode and went through fine.

So it was your fault.

troyzer wrote: »
    So it was your fault.
    Didn't say it wasn't..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

When the bot is answering type human help or something along those lines and it will add you to a que to speak to someone. It can take a day to get a reply though.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

iamtony wrote:
    When the bot is answering type human help or something along those lines and it will add you to a que to speak to someone. It can take a day to get a reply though.

If you type live agent you'll bypass the Rita the robot. Just type live agent then return and type what you want to say and leave it. Can be a couple of mins but the longest I've waited is 2hrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Anyone know what populates the little number icon on the "More..." bottom menu option, it looks like it's designed to be an indicator that there is an unread notification but I dont know where to view the notifications, so it remains at 1 unread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I haven't been able to read my Revolut notifications in a long time. Once I log in after seeing a brief extract, the notification vanishes. It's a problem many people seem to experience.

Try this https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-recover-lost-notifications-on-android to set up an alternative if it's Android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

Not sure if anyone would be able to answer this question but I'll ask anyways. I don't do any currency exchanges these days except buying ebooks on amazon for my kindle. Would it be worth getting a revolut card considering that I only spend about £25 sterling a month on amazon and I wouldn't use it for anything else. Any one have any ideas on how much I would save using the card for such small transactions.

mickmac76 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone would be able to answer this question but I'll ask anyways. I don't do any currency exchanges these days except buying ebooks on amazon for my kindle. Would it be worth getting a revolut card considering that I only spend about £25 sterling a month on amazon and I wouldn't use it for anything else. Any one have any ideas on how much I would save using the card for such small transactions.

Ultimately the free Revolut won't cost you anything but it's probably not worth the hassle. You'll save almost nothing on such low quantities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

Ultimately the free Revolut won't cost you anything but it's probably not worth the hassle. You'll save almost nothing on such low quantities.
    Thanks for the opinion. I didn't really think it would be worth the hassle of getting one but I thought I'd better check with people who use them regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Thanks for the opinion. I didn't really think it would be worth the hassle of getting one but I thought I'd better check with people who use them regularly.

I would say about 65-70cent a month at that volume. But it’s a great card to have to hide pub purchases and bookie lodgements from the bank of applying for loans/mortgages. Also you’re bound to leave Ireland within the next 12 months for some period of time and this cards saves about 2.5-3% a transaction. Get one

Yeah. Bank of Ireland for example are selling at 87.3 and Revolut are at 89.9.

So with BOI, your £25 would cost €28.60 and with Revolut it would be €27.80.

It's not worth the 80c a month you save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Don't forget the fees. Again, using BOI as an example:
    "All other transactions (cross-border handling charges) Visa Debit (Point of Sale) 2% of transaction value. Maximum €11.43 per transaction"
    From https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/visa-debit/fees/
    YMMV with whatever bank you use. If you're using a credit card the charges are probably worse.
    Get a Revolut card.

Apart from the fact that you've completely omitted the fees BOI will charge, why is it 'not worth it'?

It doesn't cost anything and takes about 5 minutes to set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I would say about 65-70cent a month at that volume. But it’s a great card to have to hide pub purchases and bookie lodgements from the bank of applying for loans/mortgages. Also you’re bound to leave Ireland within the next 12 months for some period of time and this cards saves about 2.5-3% a transaction. Get one

Banks will see the money going to Revolut when you top up and then ask you for statements from them too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement