Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

So say your going to Australia on holiday. What's the best way to use Revolut to convert money but still be able to withdraw cash from an ATM (assuming you want more than 200 quid). Or is the only way to convert using Revolut and use the card to pay wherever possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Synode wrote: »
    So say your going to Australia on holiday. What's the best way to use Revolut to convert money but still be able to withdraw cash from an ATM (assuming you want more than 200 quid). Or is the only way to convert using Revolut and use the card to pay wherever possible.
    Yes, use the card where possible but always carry another card. It has been known to let one down on the odd occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Just take the 200 cash out and use the card for everything else. You'll generally still save on atm fees and conversion fees from your bank with the 2% in most cases when you're using it for currency conversion abroad

It's easy to tap the card and do what you gotta do

As for the Ryanair flights, I believe Ryanair will charge the currency of the flight origin, or sometimes they'll be sneaky and change the price to sterling and give you a crap rate for your Euro. You have to reject the conversion on the Ryanair page as it's hidden away.

As for using the card, I don't know why you wouldn't want one, it makes regular banking seem like cave man banking :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Synode wrote: »

Australia - like Ireland - is a first-world country and tap and pay (limit is $100 AUD) is everywhere there, unless you plan on paying a tradesperson whilst you are away the €200 ATM limit won't affect you.

Of course like with all these new 'fintech' apps, always carry a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Just another note. I found out why i was charged extra for booking a flight with Ryanair. Because the card is uk based they charged me in sterling.
    Won't use it for booking flights again.

You have an option to reject Ryanairs currency conversion so its hardly the cards fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

ASOT wrote: »
    You have an option to reject Ryanairs currency conversion so its hardly the cards fault.

To be fair i don't remember seeing any option to covert. Maybe because of the extras that keep coming up when i was booking.Have used the card all over Europe, Middle East and Asia with no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

The Dublin Airport T1 lounge is more expensive via Revolut than just booking it on the DAA website.

Well that's a massive dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Jeff2 wrote: »
    It's not UK based.
    Do you mean 26.

Revolut Limited
    4th Floor, 7 Westferry Circus
    E14 4HD London, United Kingdom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

ASOT wrote: »
    BohsCeltic wrote: »
    To be fair i don't remember seeing any option to covert. Maybe because of the extras that keep coming up when i was booking.Have used the card all over Europe, Middle East and Asia with no issues.

Ryanair, Paypal, Amazon etc all make lots of money on hiked up exchange rates, they intentionally make it inconvenient to find the "option" to reject their "currency conversion service". Persevere and root around, the option should be there - google is your friend. Finding the option the first time is the hardest part especially as they often change where it's hidden so often helpful instructions or screenshots found on google are out of date.

FYI this link currently works for paypal but is still impossible to find...
    https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-merchant-pull-funding&buyer_hubREPLY

See screenshot of options for what appears after you click on "conversion options"

On Paypals help pages they give instruction on how to change the billing currency on a one off basis :-
    ..... following additional steps when you send a payment:
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Click Other Conversion Options on the Review Your Payment page.
    [*]Choose Bill me in the currency listed on the seller’s invoice. Select this option to ensure that your credit card is charged in the currency you want.
    [/LIST]

For RYANAIR look for the "Click here for more information on our guaranteed exchange rate."
    Select that then untick the box at the bottom.
    See screenshot.

Note in this real case example Ryanair is 6.94% more expensive than Revolut.
    Ryanair Exchange rate of 1.2166791 £ 29.98 = € 36.48 Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 13:58 GMT
    Revolut rate of 1.1378 £ 29.98 = € 34.11 Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 14:02 GMT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Splendid post by msmx5 - much kudos

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've been trying to get on to Revoluts beta team for ages to get access to ApplePay but they just keep telling me testing hasn't started in Ireland for ApplePay yet.

Is anyone on the Beta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

eeloe wrote: »
    I've been trying to get on to Revoluts beta team for ages to get access to ApplePay but they just keep telling me testing hasn't started in Ireland for ApplePay yet.

Is anyone on the Beta?

Yes in TestFlight but I haven’t seen Apple Pay yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Mr.S wrote: »
    Its Germany only when it first launches, so Ireland is months away!

They said yesterday on their community forum that Germany was coming “soon” and other countries in Q1. Wouldn’t hold my breath but I’d love it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Have Revolut stopped offering phone insurance.? Can't seem to select the option in the app, where I can look at the travel option no problem.
    Since Ulster bank ufirst are withdrawing their phone insurance I'm looking for a decent alternative..

mgray wrote: »
    Have Revolut stopped offering phone insurance.? Can't seem to select the option in the app, where I can look at the travel option no problem.
    Since Ulster bank ufirst are withdrawing their phone insurance I'm looking for a decent alternative..

Still an option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

troyzer wrote: »
    Still an option for me.

Thanks, looks like I've the joys of contraction support coming up.! I have the option, it's just dulled out and won't let me select...

Another question, anyone joined premium lately, are the cards still MasterCard or have they changed to visa too..

troyzer wrote: »
    Still an option for me.

Thanks, looks like I've the joys of contraction support coming up.! I have the option, it's just dulled out and won't let me select...

Another question, anyone joined premium lately, are the cards still MasterCard or have they changed to visa too..

I've heard they've all changed to Visa now. I'm still rocking a MasterCard though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

threein99 wrote: »
    Anyone got examples of when they saved money doing this ?

Bought a sandwich in the north with Revolut card. Wife used aib card for hers. It cost me 48cent less.

Would a decent alternative be not having phone insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

McGaggs wrote: »
    Bought a sandwich in the north with Revolut card. Wife used aib card for hers. It cost me 48cent less.

Would you not have bought her a feckin sandwich?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

I'm lost for words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

jakdublin wrote: »
    I've searched here and elsewhere for an answer to this one but still aren't clear. If you have sterling and euro in your account and your default currency is euro, how does the card decide which currency to use? For example, does it automatically take sterling if you're buying sometime priced in sterling or does it take euro and covert because that's your default currenc?

https://www.revolut.com/help/exploring-revolut/spending/which-currency-balance-will-be-deducted-for-spending

Would you not have bought her a feckin sandwich?

I would've, but you know women. She had to go and look at all the sandwiches in the shop and examine them and think about it before choosing the same one as me. If I had've just bought it for her, there would have been trouble...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Hi Guys,

This is perhaps a very dumb question.
    I am starting another part time job and was wondering whether I could get paid into my revolut account. Is this my REVOLUT CURRENT ACCOUNT:

https://imgur.com/a/989SkYn

989SkYn

cheers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

suave.4u wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

This is perhaps a very dumb question.
    I am starting another part time job and was wondering whether I could get paid into my revolut account. Is this my REVOLUT CURRENT ACCOUNT:

https://imgur.com/a/989SkYn

989SkYn

cheers,

That is your personal € account indeed.

I would've, but you know women. She had to go and look at all the sandwiches in the shop and examine them and think about it before choosing the same one as me. If I had've just bought it for her, there would have been trouble...
    Been there, got the t-shirt :D

I never order food when we're out. Just tell herself what I want, and let her change her mind four times and confuse the staff.

august12 wrote: »
    Automatically takes Sterling if you have the full amount, otherwise, will take all from euro balance.

It won’t, the transaction will fail if you have an insufficient balance of a currency.

It’s one of the very few complaints I have with Revolut and the reason I don’t convert in advance even on weekends as it got painful when abroad for a few weeks at a time as once you start converting over and have a balance in say dollars you have to keep doing it as if you run low a transaction will fail regardless of how high your euro balance is. I always let Revolut do the conversion now as it’s just much handier.

What needs to be introduced is that when you have say a balance in sterling and you don’t have enough for a transaction that it uses up all the sterling balance and then converts the remaining from euro on the fly.

Another annoyance with having money in other currencies is if you use vaults as if you spend in say sterling from your sterling balance it converts back to euro for your vault on every transaction thus exposing you to losing out on exchange rates for money going to your vaunt. You can’t even pause a vault you have to stop it completely and withdraw all funds to stop it which I found very annoying so again a good reason just to only use euro balances and let Revolut convert on the fly.

Is there any way of giving access to a second phone to login and see the card balance, without changing the main phone that manages the account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Is there any way of giving access to a second phone to login and see the card balance, without changing the main phone that manages the account?

Yes, you can use the same account on multiple devices. You just cant have multiple accounts excluding business accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

It won’t, the transaction will fail if you have an insufficient balance of a currency.

Yes it will. If you have insufficient Sterling, but you have enough funds in the Euro balance, it will take it all from the euro balance. It would even take it all from a Dollar balance if you had enough dollars to cover the sterling cost.

What it won't do, as you have said, is combine funds from multiple currencies for one transaction, you have to have enough funds in one currency to cover the transaction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement