Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Davy wrote: »
    Yes, you can use the same account on multiple devices. You just cant have multiple accounts excluding business accounts.
    When I try to login on the new device, it asks for the old phone number, and then puts me through to an agent who is looking for ID to prove that I'm the account holder. They tell me that I can't be on two devices simultaenously, and that I have to log out of one device before I login to the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

When I try to login on the new device, it asks for the old phone number, and then puts me through to an agent who is looking for ID to prove that I'm the account holder. They tell me that I can't be on two devices simultaenously, and that I have to log out of one device before I login to the other.

Unless its changed recently. I had the same account on 2 devices for about 2 years. I cant remember the exact steps I did but it was straight forward at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Davy wrote: »
    Unless its changed recently. I had the same account on 2 devices for about 2 years. I cant remember the exact steps I did but it was straight forward at the time.

I have it wirking on two devices as of two minutes ago.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I have it wirking on two devices as of two minutes ago.

Same here. Have it going on my phone and tablet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭nc6000

McGaggs wrote: »
    Bought a sandwich in the north with Revolut card. Wife used aib card for hers. It cost me 48cent less.

I don't see any other threads on this but after a recent trip to the UK I see AIB have started adding in FX fees for transactions made both in the UK and even ones made through GBP on Amazon. For example, on an 88p Kindle purchase on Amazon AIB added a 45 cent fee which is ridiculous.

Does anyone know when these fees were introduced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

nc6000 wrote: »
    I don't see any other threads on this but after a recent trip to the UK I see AIB have started adding in FX fees for transactions made both in the UK and even ones made through GBP on Amazon. For example, on an 88p Kindle purchase on Amazon AIB added a 45 cent fee which is ridiculous.

there has always been an FX charge since i can remember, that's why it's good to have either N26, Revolut or Transferwise to avoid those fees

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Hi Guys,

I work part time and my employer has an AIB account. I wanted to give him my revolut account details to debit my salary.

But my Revolut IBAN starts with GB64 REVO ... , hence it is not a local Irish transfer.
    What to do here? Does he need to select an International transfer to UK to pay me? He owns a small business, not too technical and might think I am upto something :-).

All help appreciated. thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

nc6000 wrote: »
    ...after a recent trip to the UK I see AIB have started adding in FX fees for transactions made both in the UK and even ones made through GBP on Amazon. For example, on an 88p Kindle purchase on Amazon AIB added a 45 cent fee which is ridiculous.

5star02707 wrote: »
    there has always been an FX charge since i can remember, that's why it's good to have either N26, Revolut or Transferwise to avoid those fees

As mentioned these charges were always there but recently (I can't remember exactly when as I use Revolut for the vast majority of any foreign exchange transactions I make) AIB started breaking out the charge and displaying it separately (transparency=good). Previously you would have seen a blended rate which included the fee.

Current fees which are on top of the Visa and Mastercard rates
    AIB Credit Cards Transaction
    Location / Currency Conversion Fee
    AIB Visa Europe Region 1.75%
    AIB Visa Rest of World 2.75%
    Mastercard locations 1.75%

One thing to note if you are checking the transaction online...I've observed that when the transaction initially appears as "pending" it sometimes does not include the AIB transaction fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

suave.4u wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I work part time and my employer has an AIB account. I wanted to give him my revolut account details to debit my salary.

But my Revolut IBAN starts with GB64 REVO ... , hence it is not a local Irish transfer.
    What to do here? Does he need to select an International transfer to UK to pay me? He owns a small business, not too technical and might think I am upto something :-).

Still sends to your account as a SEPA transfer. Same price as sending to an Irish account

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Hi Guys,

Same issue, but I still see GB IBAN : https://www.finextra.com/pressarticle/70097/revolut-introduces-personal-euro-accounts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Until a No Deal Brexit transfers to a GB IBAN in € are covered by SEPA Regulations which means that the bank can maximum charge the same amount it would charge for domestic transactions.

Your employer should have no problem to get a transfer made to the acount via his normal way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Hi Guys,

Yeah, because AIB are awkward, he'll need to set it up as international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Until a No Deal Brexit transfers to a GB IBAN in € are covered by SEPA Regulations which means that the bank can maximum charge the same amount it would charge for domestic transactions.

Your employer should have no problem to get a transfer made to the acount via his normal way.

And Revolut have also received their Lithuanian Banking license in December (which is EU), so they will probably issue us with new IBAN numbers, if Brexit goes ahead and it all goes belly up.

Never the less, it doesn't really matter, if they are in the EU or not. As long as it's a EUR transfer using SEPA it costs the same local and to any country in Europe part of SEPA .. EU or not.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭utmbuilder

Can you get stripe payments into revoult?

utmbuilder wrote: »

Don't see a problem with that either. Simply because Stripe just sends payments to an IBAN.

/M

utmbuilder wrote: »

Yes, I can confirm that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Hi Guys,

It international and I tried this.
    Takes a few hours also he might need to put the debt card into a card reader and then put in numbers sent to the card reader to make payment.
    I don't think it can be saved as payee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Sorry if this has been answered already...am currently using Revolut as my day-to-day card, and have my current account with PTSB. Is there any major advantage to upgrade to premium or metal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Hey, not sure if someone can help me here but last night I bought flights on Ryanair for 307 euro.

Received my itenary etc in email and again it shows 307 euro. When I looked at my phone, Ryanair charged me 326 euro.

Anyone know where this random charge came from or what could have caused it? My card only has euro in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

You probably paid in Sterling. So Ryanair converted from euro to sterling (with a nice margin for them) then it was converted back to euro by Revolut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

use it on a daily basis and find it very good for the following
    1. Foreign Currency (travel to UK maybe twice a month
    2. Amazon Prime - find it a lot cheaper to pay in £ on their site
    3. transferring money between myself and herself - we're not in the same bank so instant transfers if either of us are stuck is very useful
    4. money comes off balance instantly - (Balance and "Available Funds" does my head in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Suddenly getting asked to verify all my cards and upload supporting documents such as bank statements before being allowed access my account again. Been a customer for years???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

joe123 wrote: »
    Thats very sly. It showed as 307 euros on checkout. I've done some digging online and apparently amazon etc + hotels/restaurants etc can tap pound to charge the card and get a hefty conversion rate. You would literally have to tell the worker to re do the charge in euro. Really puts me off using the card knowing this is exploitable.

I've only euros on the card.

It can be done on any card. Revolut just makes it more obvious that you're being ripped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

You probably paid in Sterling. So Ryanair converted from euro to sterling (with a nice margin for them) then it was converted back to euro by Revolut.

Thats very sly. It showed as 307 euros on checkout. I've done some digging online and apparently amazon etc + hotels/restaurants etc can tap pound to charge the card as Revolut is registered as a British company and get a hefty conversion rate.

You would literally have to tell the worker to re do the charge in euro. Really puts me off using the card knowing this is exploitable.

I've only euros on the card too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Thats very sly. It showed as 307 euros on checkout. I've done some digging online and apparently amazon etc + hotels/restaurants etc can tap pound to charge the card as Revolut is registered as a British company and get a hefty conversion rate.

You would literally have to tell the worker to re do the charge in euro. Really puts me off using the card knowing this is exploitable.

You can easily request to pay in Euros.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Suddenly getting asked to verify all my cards and upload supporting documents such as bank statements before being allowed access my account again. Been a customer for years???

They are using an AI to monitor your account for compliance and one your score goes to a certain point they kick in a manual compliance review.

Could be for loads of reasons and unless you comply you won't get access to the account again.

They recently did a whole presentation on their AI for compliance which is somewhere on YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

It’s Ryanair’s jam really. There was a post a few pages back with pictures on how to avoid this carry on. Same with PayPal

Revolut is preparing for no deal:

Blog Post on Revolut

But this is the not to the full bank license Bank but seems rather another electronic money issuer in Luxembourg.

But at least it means that in case if no deal we will be able to continue to use revolut.

brettmirl wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered already...am currently using Revolut as my day-to-day card, and have my current account with PTSB. Is there any major advantage to upgrade to premium or metal?

You get access to free card replacements and virtual visa cards. And double or tripple the monthly free atm withdrawal.
    Revolut is preparing for no deal:
    [url]
    https://blog.revolut.com/how-we-protected-our-customers-from-brexit/[/URL]

But this is the not to the full bank license Bank but seams rather another electronic money issuer in Luxembourg.

But at least it means that in case if no deal we will be able to continue to use revolut.

They actually have a full banking license in Lithuania ... which is in the EU: https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/12/revolut-gets-european-banking-license-in-lithuania

They also currently only operate under an eMoney license in the UK, but have applied for a full UK banking license.

/M

• Advertisement

Its RYANAIR that are sly. Revolut just processed the sterling charge Ryanair sent them... as as you didn't have GBP, revolut had to take the funds from your EUR balance (at their good rate).

Your receipt screenshot shows Ryanair charged "cardholder currency" 287.06GBP which by their rate was €307.

See the attachment on post #6841 for a screenshot of the box on Ryanair checkout to untick which makes sure your card/Revolut will do the conversion and not Ryanair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement