Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Amouar wrote: »
    Talking about safety, Is there a protection on the card if it's used by a fraudster online? Can we claim back the stollen amount like any credit card?

It's a MasterCard so should be covered by the same rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

why would you avoid contactless cards?

For a number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

irishgeo wrote: »
    It's a MasterCard so should be covered by the same rules.

We usually contact our banks for such cases, not Visa or Mastercard. I'd be currious to see how Revolut can handle such requests...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

soirish wrote: »

That's an online shopping issue rather than a contactless card issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

again I think the smart thing to do is not to have cash on it for long periods. If you need to use it, just push cash on before you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So I've the card for a few weeks but haven't used it yet (Verification has been pending for about 3 weeks, but I've given up on that), and I plan on using it in the states in December. Just wondering if I need to use it first in Ireland to activate it like you would a bank card, or can I just leave it alone until I head over?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Contactless cards won't be issued for a few months apparently

I sent a message through support on the app today and asked if existing cardholders would be able to switch to contactless cards and I was informed that we would be automatically, however they weren't been issued at present, I made reference to the FB post about contactless cards and his response was

"Sorry that post just meant, that the delay was due to our change towards contactless cards, that are coming in the next few months"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

martyos121 wrote: »
    So I've the card for a few weeks but haven't used it yet (Verification has been pending for about 3 weeks, but I've given up on that), and I plan on using it in the states in December. Just wondering if I need to use it first in Ireland to activate it like you would a bank card, or can I just leave it alone until I head over?

I'd test it in an atm here first just to be safe and make sure the PIN is working.

One thing that happened to me too often for my liking last week in NYC, and perhaps to be wary of if travelling to the states:

It's normal in bars/restaurants if you are paying by card, you get your bill and you write on how much tip you are leaving.

Normal process seemed to be:
    • Get the bill, eg $100, I write on $20 tip
    • $100 for the bill is debited on the day, status "pending"
    • 1-2 days later, the initial $100 debit is reversed and the complete bill + tip figure of $120 debited with status "complete"

Majority of bills went like this, however on 2 pretty hefty bills the merchant didn't reverse the initial charge, and cleared out my funds for the last few days of the trip (even sent me into negative balance)

Not a Revolut issue, support told me the payments are automatically reversed after 10 days if not claimed, but a big pain in the arse. Going to Vegas in Dec and don't think I'll keep cash on it that long this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

still having problem using card online spoke to them opened a ticket but still no luck no updates from them yet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

maximoose wrote: »
    Normal process seemed to be:
    • Get the bill, eg $100, I write on $20 tip
    • $100 for the bill is debited on the day, status "pending"
    • 1-2 days later, the initial $100 debit is reversed and the complete bill + tip figure of $120 debited with status "complete"

Majority of bills went like this, however on 2 pretty hefty bills the merchant didn't reverse the initial charge, and cleared out my funds for the last few days of the trip (even sent me into negative balance)

Not a Revolut issue, support told me the payments are automatically reversed after 10 days if not claimed, but a big pain in the arse. Going to Vegas in Dec and don't think I'll keep cash on it that long this time.

As you correctly stated this is not a Revolut issue. This is common with all Credit cards but we are normally oblivious to it as our credit card statements (including most online statement) only show confirmed or completed transactions. Pending transactions are not posted to your statement but DO affect your "available balance" or eat into your credit limit until they "time out" or are cancelled automatically.

Revolut gives us a more detailed view of the granularity of the various steps in completing a transaction, detailing the various steps of the transaction flow from:-
    1. Instantly and amazingly within seconds showing up an attempted authorised transaction as "pending" then
    2. normally changing to "complete" within about 24-48 hrs
    3. but sometimes for failed transactions or ones that may have authorised but for some other reason at the merchant end did not complete - show up as "pending" for a prolonged period of up to 10 days.

Some people are freaking out about his and complaining but its the very same as a hotel taking an "imprint" of your card to cover the mini-bar or a car hire company using a Credit Card for the damage excess. These transactions rarely show up on your regular credit card statement as they are not completed or reversed in a timely manner.
    Recently in fact I've experienced problems with a credit card where an (admittedly high) excess of £1200 was secured on the card when renting a car - this caused a subsequent (again large) transaction to fail as there were insufficient funds available. The £1200 excess didn’t appear on my statement and the total spending that month didn’t go over the cards credit limit as the £1200 was “reserved”, however had it been competed the 2nd transaction would have pushed total spend over the limit and hence the reason it failed…. Annoying - but understandable when you think about it ( & after a call to my credit card company while abroad)!

The revolut card is just the same – the price of extra information is often frustration and confusion!

Maybe there are more failed transactions with Revolut cards than with more “orthodox” credit/debit cards at the moment because Revolut cards are generally used for online purchases or while travelling and as a result could be more prone to trigger fraud alerts, or more prone to technical issues between clearing agents as they are multi currency.

I'll be happy to continue using mine online and (when it arrives) in ATMs and POS abroad - If I know I'll have internet connectivity I'll load funds as required otherwise I'd be happy putting a buffer on it - but as always due to lessons learned from frequent travel abroad I'll always have backup card at hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah I get why it happened, something similar happened to me before with a hotel in France about 5 years ago and I got rid of my only credit card soon after... forgot the issue existed!

Just something to be wary of where you have a set limit of funds with you for your trip. I used it in probably 20-30 bars/restaurants and it was only an issue with 1 merchant, just unlucky it was the bloody huge bill of the week :pac:

The funds actually returned to me this morning, hurrah. Definitely gonna continue using the card as long as it stays such great value :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

In Kuala Lumpur at mo, card working fine out of ATM's, let me down once yesterday though buying shoes in Nike....needed to top up an extra €65 to hit the amount needed, did so whilst trying on the shoes & then when I got to the counter she ran it through twice but no joy.
    Funds were visible on the app instantly after top up, headed down a floor to the ATM & took out the same amount needed no problem.

Think the rate was slightly different to XE too as last night I wanted to take out 500 of the local currency which was about €102.85 we'll say on XE but even though I was slightly over that it kept telling me insufficient funds so had to opt for 480 instead which was bang on €100 according to Revolut but €98 on XE

Have noticed alot of the times I've used the card in shops the people handling it sometimes have to run it through the machine / get me to enter pin twice in order to get it to work, not sure if this is down to them attempting it as either a debit or credit card, then trying the other second time round or what

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

Pulse8 wrote: »
    In Kuala Lumpur at mo, card working fine out of ATM's, let me down once yesterday though buying shoes in Nike....needed to top up an extra €65 to hit the amount needed, did so whilst trying on the shoes & then when I got to the counter she ran it through twice but no joy.
    Funds were visible on the app instantly after top up, headed down a floor to the ATM & took out the same amount needed no problem.

Think the rate was slightly different to XE too as last night I wanted to take out 500 of the local currency which was about €102.85 we'll say on XE but even though I was slightly over that it kept telling me insufficient funds so had to opt for 480 instead which was bang on €100 according to Revolut but €98 on XE

Have noticed alot of the times I've used the card in shops the people handling it sometimes have to run it through the machine / get me to enter pin twice in order to get it to work, not sure if this is down to them attempting it as either a debit or credit card, then trying the other second time round or what

Maybe the 2€ is the ATM fee rather a revolut issue?

Delta2113 wrote: »
    8 working days for delivery is the latest I've heard via Twitter.

In case anyone is interested I received my physical card today, Oct 20th, registered (& verified) in the app on the evening of Oct 7th and requested the card then (app initially estimated delivery as the 12th then revised it to 15th - obviously a few days extra to get across the pond).

So 9 working days or 13 calendar days.
    Its is NOT a contactless card :-(
    And yes the packaging is cool! ;-)

Going to try it out in an ATM later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Amouar wrote: »
    Maybe the 2€ is the ATM fee rather a revolut issue?

Perhaps, was nearly sure it was a free ATM though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭henke

msmx5 wrote: »
    In case anyone is interested I received my physical card today, Oct 20th, registered (& verified) in the app on the evening of Oct 7th and requested the card then (app initially estimated delivery as the 12th then revised it to 15th - obviously a few days extra to get across the pond).

So 9 working days or 13 calendar days.
    Its is NOT a contactless card :-(
    And yes the packaging is cool! ;-)

Going to try it out in an ATM later today.
    My card came today too. Requested on the 5th. Expected date on the 8th then revised to the 12th. Away to Amsterdam next week so delighted. Hopefully help me avoid bank fees. Going to test it today too.

henke wrote: »
    My card came today too. Requested on the 5th. Expected date on the 8th then revised to the 12th. Away to Amsterdam next week so delighted. Hopefully help me avoid bank fees. Going to test it today too.

Oh, I also meant to say that an online transaction which failed to authorise the first time and was "pending" for ages disappeared today too.

Failed transaction of €19 to Zuppler (for takeaway food ) was on Fri 9th - transaction went through on the 2nd attempt.

It looks like the 10 days mentioned before seems to be accurate for automatic clear-down of pending transactions not completed.

Glad to have my €19 back available to spend!

Oh, I also meant to say that an online transaction which failed to authorise the first time and was "pending" for ages disappeared today too.

Failed transaction of €19 to Zuppler (for takeaway food ) was on Fri 9th - transaction went through on the 2nd attempt.

It looks like the 10 days mentioned before seems to be accurate for automatic clear-down of pending transactions not completed.

I've a €6.99 Netflix (free month CC authorisation) transaction on my acc since 10th October, it's still hanging in there, hopefully it will be back to my acc in the next day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭henke

Tested at the ATM and changed my PIN on the ATM too and took out €20 to test and worked perfect.

Yeah actually I have an order from Amazon pending since the 8th but it wasn't due to dispatch until the 22nd and its gone off my card so not sure what will happen there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Went to deposit money into one of my gambling accounts now my card is blocked :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Went to deposit money into one of my gambling accounts now my card is blocked :/

Don't think you're allowed use it on any gambling sites, same as most pre-paid cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Mines was requested on the 12th and it arrived this morning, it was posted to a NI address so that probably sped up the process as it's expected tomorrow. And yes the packaging is very cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

I received mine today it must have been the day for An Post to deliver them.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ClaptonBay

is verification instantaneous? i havent attempted it yet and away the weekend for a week hoping to use it while im away for most txns.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

hi everyone,

we got the card today as , i had issue for last few days that my transaction were refused on-line. Just found out now that card number is same but expiry date and cvv codes are diffrent. so as per the customer support i logged out and back in the card on my phone changed the detail, but just wondering why did they changed ???

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I verified Tuesday night and it was instantaneous.

Ordered my card Monday of last week and it arrived Wednesday of this week. Nine days or seven working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

well my holiday day has arrived and i'm flying to JFK later today. have uploaded my money to revolut card but as previous poster said i still am bringing my credit card with me for the shopping. the real reason i was interested in this card was the convenience of not carrying cash as don't know how much cash to bring and then the great commission free element and can withdraw cash when i need it and also use it for in store purchases .... optimistic its going to work from reading everyone's posts .... will post review when return.

re previous questions asked; my card arrived after 5-7 days; support have been great - sometimes they don't answer but i just repeat the message later on the support page on phone and they usually respond; still have €10 missing as that was a banking online transaction (test) with ulster bank and it's not shown up yet ... if it doesn't appear i will chase it when i'm back from holiday as didn't have the time to do it

happy holidays!

I set up an account for my wife last Friday afternoon, ordered her card then also, card arrived for her this morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ClaptonBay

What do you mean your bringing your CC card with you for shopping..is there a reason not to use this for that?
    Also, for those who got verified i was trying for a while last night with my passport and just couldnt get it to work. How did ye go about doing it??

tregan wrote: »
    well my holiday day has arrived and i'm flying to JFK later today. have uploaded my money to revolut card but as previous poster said i still am bringing my credit card with me for the shopping. the real reason i was interested in this card was the convenience of not carrying cash as don't know how much cash to bring and then the great commission free element and can withdraw cash when i need it and also use it for in store purchases .... optimistic its going to work from reading everyone's posts .... will post review when return.

re previous questions asked; my card arrived after 5-7 days; support have been great - sometimes they don't answer but i just repeat the message later on the support page on phone and they usually respond; still have €10 missing as that was a banking online transaction (test) with ulster bank and it's not shown up yet ... if it doesn't appear i will chase it when i'm back from holiday as didn't have the time to do it

happy holidays!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement