Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Hi am late to this, i just signed up yesterday. Am sure my question has been answered but I',m not looking through 466 pages!

Just about to order a card, is the "standard" physical card contact less and have a chip n pin? Under the "metal" and "premium" cards it says they are contact less and you can see the chip, but not so with standard.

I tried the support chat but usless.

Also how much is the card for delivery to dublin?
    Thanks!

They're all contactless.

I don't know what the delivery cost is. Get to the order page and find out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭MrCostington

troyzer wrote: »
    They're all contactless.

€5.99 for standard. I did not want to go too far into the process with the contactess question unanswered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

They're all contactless.

Think delivery is around €6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

If you don't order a physical card straight away, after a while they'll offer you free delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

No, I want to leave my current bank that my Rovlout is connected and to and transfer my new account/details to Revoult.

Revolut is not linked to your bank in any way, you don't need to advise them about your new account in advance of any transfers you do.

However is you have a new debit card you will use to load funds, than you obviously need to enter that during the load process.

For transfers out to your new account, just set up a new destination bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I just paid for a few tickets with my credit card accidentally instead of normally topping up by Revolut with the credit card and paying that way.

They were £204 which AIB is charging me €239.94 for.

The exchange rate for Revolut on that day was the same but I would have saved €4.13 in fees.

Annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Im just signing up at the moment and its asking for national ID. Can you use a public services card. I keep getting rejected when I try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

It's not accepted as ID.

No dob.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

I just paid for a few tickets with my credit card accidentally...
    They were £204 which AIB is charging me €239.94 for.

The exchange rate for Revolut on that day was the same but I would have saved €4.13 in fees.

ouch! Thats their 1.75% fee kicking in. Lucky it wasn't a "rest of the world" Visa transaction or you would have been another 1% out of pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I have the card over a month now and I am beginning to wonder what the advantage of it is? If I take say €40 out of an a.t.m. I pay €40.80 and on top of that I pay a 12c Levy. So my €40 withdrawal costs me 92c in total. Am I missing something here? It seems more expensive to use than my ordinary bank card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

KevinCavan wrote: »
    I have the card over a month now and I am beginning to wonder what the advantage of it is? If I take say €40 out of an a.t.m. I pay €40.80 and on top of that I pay a 12c Levy. So my €40 withdrawal costs me 92c in total. Am I missing something here? It seems more expensive to use than my ordinary bank card.

Why does it cost €40.80 (before levy)? Anyways Revolut’s main selling point is doing electronic or POS payments. Who needs physical cash these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The levy is up to 5 EUR/year. And that is a law requirement in Ireland.

You paying 40.80 EUR .. have you gone over your monthly limit for withdrawals ?

Because otherwise there would be no fee.

And why do you withdraw cash anyhow ?

/M

Why does it cost €40.80 (before levy)? Anyways Revolut’s main selling point is doing electronic or POS payments. Who needs physical cash these days?

I don’t know why the €40 comes up as €40.80 on my account. Then there is a 12c Levy to Irish government on top of that. Is the card mainly for currency exchange then and not to be used at a.t.m.s?

You're only charged over €200 a month.

The 12c is charged for any card in Ireland. It's a government charge, not Revolut. Just most banks charge it all in January retrospectively.

Marlow wrote: »
    The levy is up to 5 EUR/year. And that is a law requirement in Ireland.

You paying 40.80 EUR .. have you gone over your monthly limit for withdrawals ?

Because otherwise there would be no fee.

And why do you withdraw cash anyhow ?

/M

Maybe it’s just habit withdrawing cash for bits Nd pieces. Can I ask why you got the card? I question why I got it myself now.

I don’t know why the €40 comes up as €40.80 on my account. Then there is a 12c Levy to Irish government on top of that. Is the card mainly for currency exchange then and not to be used at a.t.m.s?

I mainly use it in shops for lunch etc. Contactless is quick and handy.

Rarely take out money these days but you're allowed €200 per month before charges.

Maybe it’s just habit withdrawing cash for bits Nd pieces. Can I ask why you got the card? I question why I got it myself now.

I got it mainly for Amazon or if I go to the UK.

But found myself using it as my daily card because I've set up the savings vault on it. Nice way to save a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I nearly never withdraw money. Ever. I use it for anything i pay in shops, fuel stations wherever.

Give you an example: last years June bank holiday weekend .. on the friday ...

Everyone with a Visa Debit card could not pay for their goods. My Revolut card being a Mastercard, I had no issue.

My wife travelled to her family abroad. I gave her my spare card. When she got in trouble and needed extra money, I could top up my Revolut and get her money in an instant. And that was while I also was abroad, just in a different country.

I use it for online shopping to avoid currency exchange fees.

If my Revolut card gets compromised i know in an instant because of the push notifications. And i can still fall back to the second card.

/M

Has it any real advantage over say an A.I.B. debit card?

All explained in the previous post by Marlow.

The security settings are great too. Also using the location setting uses your phone location. So if you're in Ireland and someone in Kenya tries to use your card, it'll fail.

Can turn on/off contactless, online shopping, atm function.

No fees at all if used correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Unless you go over the Atm allowance of 200€ you will not be charged a fee, so the cost is the same as with your Irish card.

Cash withdrawal is not the reason for the card. Spending in foreign currency is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

No base fees, cheaper FX rates, instant notifications, instant payment transfers using mobile phone numbers to identify other revolut users, vault feature for savings, better security features e.g. can disable cards from the app, use virtual cards online to prevent fraud etc.

Will soon have DGS protection so your funds are guaranteed up to 100k and also overdraft facilities and loans upto 15k.

The only thing outside of revoluts services I can see needing from a traditional Irish Bank is a mortgage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

What do you need cash for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

manu2009 wrote: »
    The only thing outside of revoluts services I can see needing from a traditional Irish Bank is a mortgage.
    And as a backup for when Revolut has issues with one of their processors :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

McGaggs wrote: »
    What do you need cash for?

Cash is always good to have when in pubs and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Where do I find d the IBAN number on the Revolut APP?

Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

More > Profile > Account Details > tap euro or gbp to get details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Where do I find d the IBAN number on the Revolut APP?

Many thanks

Click the amount on top in the home screen then it should give you IBAN and BIC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Hurrache wrote: »
    Cash is always good to have when in pubs and the likes.

Pretty much every pub I’m in either

a) takes contactless
    b) runs a tab for you if you ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Why did you get it? I'm curious. You clearly didn't read up on it and seem to be using it in the least advantageous way possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement