Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Collie D wrote: »
    troyzer wrote: »
    I have no idea what exact time they start the weekend at. That seems a strangely and oddly specific question though. What realistic difference would it make?

Withdrawals are based on a calendar month.

Well if I want to go to UK for example and load my GBP wallet in advance it would be nice to know whether I should do it on Thursday or Friday (if for example the fees kick in at Friday lunchtime). Not that odd.

Thank you for the monthly ATM answer.

My understanding is that it's based on the FX markets for where they're based, which is London. So probably midnight Friday to midnight Sunday.

The fee is only 0.5% though. I mean, you could save it by remembering to stock up on Sterling. I don't bother unless I'm going to make a huge transaction over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Thanks. 0.5% is grand in fairness. Still beats the bank. Just realised yesterday I’ve five European trips this year and not one of them uses EUR so time to get on board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Collie D wrote: »
    Ordered a standard card yesterday. Have read this thread back as far as start of year and the Revolut site and have a couple of questions I don’t see covered.
    <SNIP>
    Is weekend classed as 00.00 Saturday to 23.59 Sunday and if so presumably that’s GMT or is it local to your current location?
    <SNIP>
    Thanks in advance

https://www.revolut.com/help/getting-started/exchanging-currencies/what-foreign-exchange-rate-will-i-get

"If you exchange currencies on weekdays (Mon-Fri UTC) you will receive the interbank exchange rate without any markup on all currencies except for Thai Baht, Russian Rubbles, Ukrainian Hryvnia, and Turkish Lira where we add a 1% markup, with a small 0.5% fee for anything above £5,000 each month.

On the weekend (Sat-Sun UTC) we fix the rate we provide to protect ourselves against fluctuations, this means we apply markups of:

+0.5% to all major currencies (ie. USD, GBP, EUR, AUD, CAD, NZD, CHF, JPY, SEK, HKD, NOK, SGD, DKK, PLN, and CZK); and
    +1% to all other currencies including THB, RUB, UAH and TRY. (this means over the weekend THB, RUB, UAH, and TRY have a 2% markup.)"

Mr.S wrote: »

Ireland's a bit weird for contactless, perfectly fine in big retailers etc but small businesses / traders seem to have ignored it. Go to the US or the UK and even the ice cream van takes mobile payments :pac:

UK yes but definitely not the US, they are way behind Ireland with contactless. Even using chip and pin is rare in the us, I’ve been over there quite a bit the the last two years and I’ve never used contactless and chip and pin was very rare still swipe and sign (or not even sign in many places).

Withdrawals are based on a calendar month.

The month is based on the date you signed up as far as I remember, so different for everyone. So if you signed up on the 15th it a month then your month runs from the 15th of a month to 15th of the next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I used contactless with my Revolut in a pharmacy in New York a couple of years back, the attendant looked with me at amazement, she had never seen a contactless card before, but was used to Apple/Android Pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Does AIB charge extra if you are transferring funds onto the card through your bank account?

Do such transfers take long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Does AIB charge extra if you are transferring funds onto the card through your bank account?

Do such transfers take long?
    Same as all the other automated transactions (debit card/direct debit/standing order), 20c, or waived if you keep a €2,500 balance in your account.

Transfers are next day or sooner depending on when you initiate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

I just tried using revolut to add funds to my lotto account but it was declined. Does lotto.ie actively block revolut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

techdiver wrote: »
    I just tried using revolut to add funds to my lotto account but it was declined. Does lotto.ie actively block revolut?

Think so. I wasn't able to get it to work wither a few weeks back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

It's not Lotto that blocks Revolut, it is Revolut that blocks gambling including the Lotto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 c1ans7even

It used to work, but hasn't in the last few weeks.
    Same happened me with adding money to Bet365 dunno if all gambling stuff is just blocked on it or what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I had a failed top up a few minutes ago from PTSB to Revolut
    Tried it again and it worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

It's not Lotto that blocks Revolut, it is Revolut that blocks gambling including the Lotto.

I agree as most prepaid cards block few MCCs due to various card schemes/risk factors including gambling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I tried this a few weeks ago and failed, even contacted Revolut who confirmed card was blocked, not sure if this was as a result of trying to top up lotto account but anyway they unblocked it and I tried again with no joy so contacted Revolut again who replied as follows:

Can you please go to Cards section in the app > choose the card > Security and check if all settings, including e-commerce transactions, are ON?

Still had no luck topping up, can someone confirm which setting turns everything on, I find the setting so confusing, can anyone explain. Is blue on and grey off.

I reverted back to my bank visa debit. Still don't know what the issue was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

august12 wrote: »
    I tried this a few weeks ago and failed, even contacted Revolut who confirmed card was blocked, not sure if this was as a result of trying to top up lotto account but anyway they unblocked it and I tried again with no joy so contacted Revolut again who replied as follows:

Can you please go to Cards section in the app > choose the card > Security and check if all settings, including e-commerce transactions, are ON?

Still had no luck topping up, can someone confirm which setting turns everything on, I find the setting so confusing, can anyone explain. Is blue on and grey off.

I reverted back to my bank visa debit. Still don't know what the issue was.

The dot to the right means you have selected that section to be allowed....

Example... You want contactless then the dot will swipe to the right then it will allow contactless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

I have no problem using Revolut on my many bookie accounts.

As to lottery.ie: https://www.lottery.ie/account/manage/mywallet/payment-details "Please note: you can only use a card that is registered with an Irish bank account."
    So if your Revolut card is showing as being issued in the UK lottery.ie will not accept it. ( You'll have no trouble with https://www.lottoland.ie/ )

My credit card tied to my iTunes account expired a while back and I tried to add my Revolut but similar to lotto it’s irish issued cards only (well for the Irish store, all iTunes stores have a geo block on non-native cards apparently).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Are there any issues setting up DD with Revolut? Especially whith Virgin media. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

alwald wrote: »
    Are there any issues setting up DD with Revolut? Especially whith Virgin media. Thanks!

I pay my Virgin Media DD from my Revolut account with no issue.

Just Energy wouldn't accept it for DD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Some companies won't accept the IBAN online but you can ask them for the paper mandate form and they should take it from that.

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Some companies won't accept the IBAN online but you can ask them for the paper mandate form and they should take it from that.

I tried to do this with Liberty and they still rejected it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Then that's a big issue for them as it must be accepted as it's a genuine method of payment.

Then that's a big issue for them as it must be accepted as it's a genuine method of payment.

I know. It's incredibly frustrating but when the person on the other end throws their hands up there's not much you can do.

I suspect that when they got the paper mandate, they were just inputting that via into their normal software where the issue is.

They're not trained to do it manually. I have to use my girlfriend's AIB for the DD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Just ordered the card.

So when im in USA, do i need to do anything funky with the card or just withdraw cash/pay for goods with the card as normal to avoid charges?

Just ordered the card.

So when im in USA, do i need to do anything funky with the card or just withdraw cash/pay for goods with the card as normal to avoid charges?

Always decline currency conversion and avoid using cash when you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Just ordered the card.

1. always pay in the currency of the country you're in
    2. try as much not to withdraw cash and just pay by the card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

I've also just got a new card and am traveling to USA shortly, I thought you could withdraw up to $200.

5star02707 wrote: »
    1. always pay in the currency of the country you're in
    2. try as much not to withdraw cash and just pay by the card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Just ordered the card.

never withdraw cash unless emergency,

everywhere takes card over there.

make sure you use it as a "Credit Card" if they ask, and update security settings in app before you go

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Trish56 wrote: »
    I've also just got a new card and am traveling to USA shortly, I thought you could withdraw up to $200.

From what I remember Revolut themselves don't charge an atm fee, it's whatever bank you withdraw from that does. Unless you're in the back of beyond, you won't need much cash over there. I'd just get some dollars before you go and keep that as an emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

From what I remember Revolut themselves don't charge an atm fee, it's whatever bank you withdraw from that does. Unless you're in the back of beyond, you won't need much cash over there. I'd just get some dollars before you go and keep that as an emergency.

Revolut charge a % when over €200 atm withdrawal per month.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement