Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Just took out 100 francs in Geneva airport. The dcc was 93.15 euro. Euro charge to revolut was €88.03. Nearly 6% of a difference. Never ceases to amaze me just how much of an absolute scam it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

homingbird wrote: »
    Dont revoult send a code to your account that you are linking to revoult that you need to set it up how do you get this code from your credit union when they dont do online banking.

Do you link an account?

I just top up my Revolut with my debit card. I've sent a bank transfer to it before but just used the IBAN. No linking anything.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Dont revoult send a code to your account that you are linking to revoult that you need to set it up how do you get this code from your credit union when they dont do online banking.

It's not necessary to link an account to Revolut to make transfers from Revolut into it. In any case, most credit unions do offer online banking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Has anyone had random names on a transaction?
    Bought things in Superdrug today and it notified that I spent money in a Presbyterian Church?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Bought things in Superdrug today and it notified that I spent money in a Presbyterian Church?!

I haven't had it personally, but yes its a issue that has happened previously. Iirc it will revert to correct name tomorrow or when resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just took out 100 francs in Geneva airport. The dcc was 93.15 euro. Euro charge to revolut was €88.03. Nearly 6% of a difference. Never ceases to amaze me just how much of an absolute scam it is.

dcc?

You mean what the machine said it would charge you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Bought things in Superdrug today and it notified that I spent money in a Presbyterian Church?

Superdrug, anaesthetising pain and promising cosmetic redemption.... close enough to the Presbyterian Church

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭Jeff2

This has me laughing :).

Maybe location is turned on and you were right beside a church.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

They send codes to your phone, not your account. Some credit unions have basic online banking functions. My credit union has an app as well. It's basic enough but it's fine for what I need it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Yep. I bought some grub at a Bagel Bar in Santry a couple of weeks back and it says I spent in the Dublin Unitarian Church.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    dcc?

You mean what the machine said it would charge you?

Dynamic Currency Conversion.

It's essentially a scam under the guise of being user friendly. At an ATM or at a point of sale outside your home currency, they offer to charge you in your home currency, except the rate they give you is appalling.

Dynamic Currency Conversion.

It's essentially a scam under the guise of being user friendly. At an ATM or at a point of sale outside your home currency, they offer to charge you in your home currency, except the rate they give you is appalling.

That's what I thought you meant.

Yeah I'm surprised the EU hasn't yet seen fit to crack down on this piracy really..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Yeah I'm surprised the EU hasn't yet seen fit to crack down on this piracy really..

How is it piracy? They are offering you a service with clearly stated rates. There's no secrecy.

troyzer wrote: »
    How is it piracy? They are offering you a service with clearly stated rates. There's no secrecy.

They show you the rate they have selected.

They don't show market rates or their margin.

There's plenty secrecy.

They show you the rate they have selected.

They don't show market rates or their margin.

There's plenty secrecy.

They show you the price, you can agree or disagree.

Why would market rates or margin matter? Do you think Tesco shows you a real time beef price and how much retail margin they squeeze out of a packet of mince?

I accept they prey on ignorance, but it's not their fault. They're hardly going to talk you out of their product. Are they supposed to somehow calculated your issuing bank's exchange rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mojo Hand

Well. Switzerland isn’t in the EU so they may not be able to control their charges, but is there a way of knowing what banks in each country charge for taking out say €200 before you travel. Is there a comparison website?
    If there’s not wouldn’t it be a good idea and add some transparency?

They show you the price, you can agree or disagree.

Why would market rates or margin matter? Do you think Tesco shows you a real time beef price and how much retail margin they squeeze out of a packet of mince?

I accept they prey on ignorance, but it's not their fault. They're hardly going to talk you out of their product. Are they supposed to somehow calculated your issuing bank's exchange rate?

seems like the EU might not agree with your take on this service

https://www.paymentssource.com/opinion/dynamic-currency-conversion-is-harmful-to-consumers

https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/180328-proposal-cross-border-payments_en

Wonder would such a proposal if enacted extend to the likes of Norway, Switzerland etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,618 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s the fear mongering they also say. About how you could be charged a much higher rate or extras by your bank.

ted1 wrote: »
    It’s the fear mongering they also say. About how you could be charged a much higher rate or extras by your bank.

Well a lot of banks will charge you a fixed foreign withdrawal fee. They're probably never more expensive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Mods, any chance of a sticky on the benefits and workings of Revolut for us uninitiated
    From what I know:
    - Always lodge in your own currency
    - Always pay in the local currency
    - Free withdrawals up to €250
    - Zero transaction fees?

Do you need to have cash on ur card?

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    Mods, any chance of a sticky on the benefits and workings of Revolut for us uninitiated
    From what I know:
    - Zero transaction fees?

Cash on your card? You mean a balance in your revolut account? Of course you do, it's a pre paid card.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

seems like the EU might not agree with your take on this service

https://www.paymentssource.com/opinion/dynamic-currency-conversion-is-harmful-to-consumers

https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/180328-proposal-cross-border-payments_en

Wonder would such a proposal if enacted extend to the likes of Norway, Switzerland etc

It would apply across the EEA, which includes Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein. It probably wouldn't automatically apply to Switzerland but their special relationship with the EU would likely allow them to opt in if they so wished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It's where the banks make most of their money. Sure ... they'd all be bust, if they didn't have that loophole.

That's also why Revolut is a figment of your imagination. According to the banks it can't exist .. because it would prove them wrong. Oh wait ... it does ... most Fintech banking services do :)

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It's not a loophole though. They are quite succinct in what they tell you and it's up to you to accept/decline.

Same way if SuperValu has a pint of milk at €1 but Dunnes charge €1.06. We don't go shouting loopholes or piracy do we?

It's not a loophole though. They are quite succinct in what they tell you and it's up to you to accept/decline.

Same way if SuperValu has a pint of milk at €1 but Dunnes charge €1.06. We don't go shouting loopholes or piracy do we?

It's a rip off but it's 100% transparent in the same way a product on the supermarket shelves is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Green&Red wrote: »
    From what I know:
    - Zero transaction fees?

The free withdrawals are €200 a month.

Which is plenty for me as most spending is contactless for me.

Another tip, go to More, Profile, Price plan to see how much free allowances you have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Wheety wrote: »
    The free withdrawals are €200 a month.

Which is plenty for me as most spending is contactless for me.

Another tip, go to More, Profile, Price plan to see how much free allowances you have left.

Nice tip. Anybody know if the €200 a month ATM withdrawal limit is per calendar month or every 30 days?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

jakdublin wrote: »
    Nice tip. Anybody know if the €200 a month ATM withdrawal limit is per calendar month or every 30 days?

Yes, a few people do, as this was answered quite recently.

It's a rip off but it's 100% transparent in the same way a product on the supermarket shelves is.

I would disagree it's 100% transparent. It takes advantage of ignorance. It's not their job to educate people etc but to be "100% transparent" it would have to come with a warning that it potentially could cost more than not doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

F1ngers wrote: »
    Yes, a few people do, as this was answered quite recently.

You could just answer his question instead of being sarcastic a bell end!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement