Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

F1ngers wrote: »
    Yes, a few people do, as this was answered quite recently.

It would have been quicker and polite to just answer. Not surprising the previously fantastic Boards community is struggling with mods like you.

In case anybody else doesn't know, this is what I found on the Revolut site, which is not the same as the answer posted earlier in the thread.

Please note the billing cycle for all Charges are as follows for users who:
    Calendar month: joined before 16 March 2017;
    Rolling month: joined after 16 March 2017; and
    Rolling month: for any user who upgraded their Revolut Account from Standard to Premium or has downgraded from Premium to Standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Looking at the metal subscription.

Anyone know if you can cancel after the first month and keep the card without penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Looking at the metal subscription.

Anyone know if you can cancel after the first month and keep the card without penalty?

You can not cancel after a month, it's a yearly membership.

If you cancel within the 14 days cooling off period but have ordered a metal card you pay £50 for it.

**If you order a physical Revolut Metal card and subsequently cancel your Metal membership within the first 14 days of upgrading your Revolut account, we will charge you £50 (or currency equivalent) for your use of the Metal Services during that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »
    It's a rip off but it's 100% transparent in the same way a product on the supermarket shelves is.

I would disagree it's 100% transparent. It takes advantage of ignorance. It's not their job to educate people etc but to be "100% transparent" it would have to come with a warning that it potentially could cost more than not doing it.

When you walk into Tesco and it says "Always better value" do you really take it as read that their milk is cheaper than Lidl? It isn't. And yet the price is there and transparent.

This is a nonsense. The price is there and it's unreasonable for an ATM company to also list it's competitor's prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

When you walk into Tesco and it says "Always better value" do you really take it as read that their milk is cheaper than Lidl? It isn't. And yet the price is there and transparent.

This is a nonsense. The price is there and it's unreasonable for an ATM company to also list it's competitor's prices.

Who advocated listing competitor prices?

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »

Who advocated listing competitor prices?

That's effectively what they'd be doing by saying it could be more expensive.

That's effectively what they'd be doing by saying it could be more expensive.

I'd be happy with their commission rate and the premium over base rate

Zilch to do with competitors

As it is they often use a tactic of saying that your own bank might charge you more. It's like what your afraid of but in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Is it possible to order a free spare card instead of paying 12 EUR including shipping fees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

My wife's Revolut card (visa) , when she uses it in shops in Ireland depending on the card machine charges sterling automatically , on other card machines it will ask sterling or euro.

I have the MasterCard and I have never been asked this on an Irish cash machine.

She has ended up getting overcharged in one or two places cause they just type in the same amount in sterling which equates to more euro.

I had a quick scout of the app and didnt see a way to change anything that might let it default to euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

My wife's Revolut card (visa) , when she uses it in shops in Ireland depending on the card machine charges sterling automatically , on other card machines it will ask sterling or euro.

I have the MasterCard and I have never been asked this on an Irish cash machine.

She has ended up getting overcharged in one or two places cause they just type in the same amount in sterling which equates to more euro.

I had a quick scout of the app and didnt see a way to change anything that might let it default to euro

There is no way of changing it to default to EUR.

As for automatically charging sterling ... that actually doesn't happen. But the interface of some credit card terminals is not very intuitive.

When it asks to charge you in Sterling, you can click cancel or decline and then you're charged in EUR. But you or the attendant may think, that it means to cancel the transaction, which it doesn't.

In some cases, the staff has accepted the charge in GBP for you before handing you the terminal, which is just not on, but happens. A lot of the staff are not trained to know how to deal with that step.

Subway is a place like that. The message on the terminal is not very clear and staff just click yes to charge in Sterling before handing you the terminal.

This applies to both the Visa and the Mastercard.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

By your logic any merchant/retailer/vendor can charge whatever the hell they want for whatever service and it would be "transparent". This is clearly, to use your word, nonsense.

DCC is little short of gouging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

By your logic any merchant/retailer/vendor can charge whatever the hell they want for whatever service and it would be "transparent". This is clearly, to use your word, nonsense.

Of course any merchant/retailer/vendor can charge whatever the hell they want. :confused:

alwald wrote: »
    Is it possible to order a free spare card instead of paying 12 EUR including shipping fees?

Don't think so. I got one when the Mastercards wouldn't work on London Underground. They sent out a free Visa one. I also managed to get a free virtual so I have 3 cards in the app. Maybe your first virtual is free?

Wheety wrote: »
    Of course any merchant/retailer/vendor can charge whatever the hell they want. :confused:

I didn't say they couldn't, so I'm really not sure what has you so confused.

What I said was to pretend that something is transparent, simply by virtue of being, is nonsense.

Any merchant can charge whatever the hell they want as long as they display the price. Which is exactly what DCC does.

Interesting article on Revolut's employment and hiring practices. Not out of the norm for startups and fintech in particular, but makes a bit of a mockery about how they claim to be so much more ethical that traditional banks.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/revolut-trade-unions-labour-fintech-politics-storonsky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Interesting article on Revolut's employment and hiring practices. Not out of the norm for startups and fintech in particular, but makes a bit of a mockery about how they claim to be so much more ethical that traditional banks.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/revolut-trade-unions-labour-fintech-politics-storonsky

Damning indeed. It’s a young man and woman’s job.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mojo Hand

Any merchant can charge whatever the hell they want as long as they display the price. Which is exactly what DCC does.

So if I am traveling to Germany next week, where can I find out how much
    it will cost me to take out €200 from a Deutsche bank machine or a DZ bank
    machine or do I have to wait until I’m standing in front of one.
    That’s hardly transparent enough for consumers.

Mojo Hand wrote: »

I'm going out later on to buy a packet of salmon darnes. Where can I find out how much it will cost me to buy a packet from each Lidl, Tesco, Supervalu, Spar, Centra, Aldi, Dunnes Stores, Mace, Iceland or my local fishmonger? Tesco and Supervalu are the only ones I know of which have a website that displays exactly how much it is. Some of the others will display it when it's on offer but for the most part, I don't know how much it is in each store until I'm standing in the fish aisle.

If your example isn't transparent enough, then this one isn't either.

I really don't understand what this argument is about.

I don't think I've ever been charged extra for taking out Euros in an ATM outside of Ireland. €200 is €200.

In the UK however, the atm will tell me how much it is to allow it to do the exchange. What else are they meant to do? Take out ads during the Late Late Show? If I don't agree with their charge, I just click cancel.

So are people saying the screen on the atm should say "If you allow us to do the exchange, it will cost you €225 but if you allow Revolut to do it the cost will be €215?

• Advertisement

I don't think I've ever been charged extra for taking out Euros in an ATM outside of Ireland. €200 is €200.

In the UK however, the atm will tell me how much it is to allow it to do the exchange. What else are they meant to do? Take out ads during the Late Late Show? If I don't agree with their charge, I just click cancel.

So are people saying the screen on the atm should say "If you allow us to do the exchange, it will cost you €225 but if you allow Revolut to do it the cost will be €215?

I think that's basically what they want.

do you understand what commission is?

do you have some sort of moral objection to a provider being clear about what commission they are making from a dcc transaction?

it has nothing to do with competitor rates whatsoever

I think that's basically what they want.

Nope. That's not what I basically want

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109543657&postcount=7145

Okay so to use my salmon darnes example, this would mean that every shop up and down the land would have to display their price, the whole sale price on that day and show their markup.

In the interest of transparency of course.

do you understand what commission is?

do you have some sort of moral objection to a provider being clear about what commission they are making from a dcc transaction?

it has nothing to do with competitor rates whatsoever

I don't care how much of what I'm charged is commission. I'll just look at the total. I always go with the cheaper option of Revolut now though. That's what this thread is about.

They banks/ATM owners build their commission into the rate you're getting charged. Change your money before you go away if you don't like it.

This off topic debate seems to be because some people want the ATM to list everything that builds into the rate you're being offered on the screen. How many people would actually read that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I don't care how much of what I'm charged is commission. I'll just look at the total. I always go with the cheaper option of Revolut now though. That's what this thread is about.

They banks/ATM owners build their commission into the rate you're getting charged. Change your money before you go away if you don't like it.

This off topic debate seems to be because some people want the ATM to list everything that builds into the rate you're being offered on the screen. How many people would actually read that?

It's all part of the general dumbing down of society. Nobody wants to inform themselves. Everything needs to be spoon-fed and it's always someone else's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mojo Hand

It's all part of the general dumbing down of society. Nobody wants to inform themselves. Everything needs to be spoon-fed and it's always someone else's fault.

All I basically asked was if there’s a way to check what charges would be incurred in different countries when using various cards to withdraw cash at different banks atms before you travel. Surely that can’t be beyond the bounds of possibilities and would be transparent .

All I basically asked was if there’s a way to check what charges would be incurred in different countries when using various cards to withdraw cash at different banks atms before you travel. Surely that can’t be beyond the bounds of possibilities and would be transparent .

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty.Odd.

I have been using my Revolut card fine with no issues for a couple of months now. However, this evening in Tesco my card was declined for location based security. Anyone know anything about this? It's always been fine until now and I haven't changed any settings.

• Advertisement

I have been using my Revolut card fine with no issues for a couple of months now. However, this evening in Tesco my card was declined for location based security. Anyone know anything about this? It's always been fine until now and I haven't changed any settings.

Do you normally have this setting turned on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement