Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

listermint wrote: »
    Op you have to press specific currency option on the machine.

This is nothing to do with revolut it's on you.

You did it wrong. Same as the guy in Italy above.

I choose the euro option just like I always do. I'm not a moron I know how to use my revolut card :rolleyes:
    ted1 wrote: »
    Happened me inthecdpar oppisite Connolly station.
    The machines pick up the card is issued by Lloyd’s and assumes it’s a sterling card

I've seen this before too and if this had been the case I would have cancelled the transaction and tried a different ATM or else used my irish visa debit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

MadYaker wrote: »
    I choose the euro option just like I always do. I'm not a moron I know how to use my revolut card :rolleyes:

I've seen this before too and if this had been the case I would have cancelled the transaction and tried a different ATM or else used my irish visa debit card.

I would normally not check the transaction on Revolut when the transaction is in Euros and it was pure chance I did this time.
    I have accepted that I have been less than vigilant and spent this morning cancelling every unnecessary procedure on Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I can add an international beneficiary no problem

Me to, I have sent money to my brother in the US and he's still listed as a beneficiary.

To add someone new:-
    1. Click on to the Payments icon on the main screen (The middle icon)
    2. Select the blue "Bank Transfer" option at the top (Above all your contacts etc)
    3. Then click the blue "+" to Add a new beneficiary.

(I'm on Android)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just received a notification of the ability to set up a currency exchange when the rate hits your preferred rate. Sounds good. Just set it up at a price you're happy and forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Wheety wrote: »
    Just received a notification of the ability to set up a currency exchange when the rate hits your preferred rate. Sounds good. Just set it up at a price you're happy and forget about it.

I’ve been doing that myself for a while now, started off as a pure accident when I changed a chunk of money to buy a something in the U.K. but it wasn’t as expected so I left it, changed the money back a couple of days later when the rates were in my favour and made €60, good old Brexit makes the puns go up and down like a yo yo

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

I’ve been doing that myself for a while now, started off as a pure accident when I changed a chunk of money to buy a something in the U.K. but it wasn’t as expected so I left it, changed the money back a couple of days later when the rates were in my favour and made €60, good old Brexit makes the puns go up and down like a yo yo

You declaring that? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi folks,
    i had to do an atm withdrawal friday and i think there was some issue with revolut conversion service being unavailable? i had no option but to accept the atm conversion charge and was charged something like 25 euro for the conversion.. did anyone else experience anything like that? Revolut are saying its not their problem.
    Thanks,
    Mick

€25 charges ?? How much did you withdraw
    Revolut isn’t something I would use to access cash tbh the atm fee puts me off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

hi folks,
    i had to do an atm withdrawal friday and i think there was some issue with revolut conversion service being unavailable?
    What happened exactly?

I was thinking you mightn't have had enough of a balance in any of your Revolut currencies to allow the transaction, but if the ATM conversion was successful there must have been enough, and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

hi folks,
    i had to do an atm withdrawal friday and i think there was some issue with revolut conversion service being unavailable? i had no option but to accept the atm conversion charge and was charged something like 25 euro for the conversion.. did anyone else experience anything like that? Revolut are saying its not their problem.
    Thanks,
    Mick

Sounds like DCC (Where the ATM provider "for your convenience" decided to offer you the option of being charged you in your "home" currency rather than the local currency). this has nothing to do with Revolut.

I guess you were withdrawing EUR but were charged in GBP?

What country were you in and what ATM did you use? Unusual that you didn't get an option to reject the ATM conversion and use your card providers.
    Revolut did have technical issues on Friday morning but I don't think they would have (or could have) triggered an ATM to force you to use DCC.

• Advertisement

msmx5 wrote: »
    hi folks,
    Thanks,
    Mick

Sounds like DCC (Where the ATM provider "for your convenience" decided to offer you the option of being charged you in your "home" currency rather than the local currency). this has nothing to do with Revolut.

What country were you in and what ATM did you use? Unusual that you didn't get an option to reject the ATM conversion and use your card providers.
    Revolut did have technical issues on Friday morning but I don't think they would have (or could have) triggered an ATM to force you to use DCC.
    Was in Dublin.. I had the money in my account.. was weird wouldn't let me proceed without taking conversion

Was in Dublin.. I had the money in my account.. was weird wouldn't let me proceed without taking conversion
    What did the screen say? Did the transaction just fail when you tried or would it even let you get that far?

msmx5 wrote: »
    hi folks,
    Thanks,
    Mick

Why did it even offer me currency conversion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

For sweet sweet profit

You should be able to decline the conversion but it may be worded in a way that is confusing and may look like you’ll cancel the transaction altogether

25 is a bit weird though. Seems like a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Hi folks, going to the US next week and just received my Revolut card. So how does it work? I pay in euros to the account from my current account and then when USA, I buy items with card in shop by choosing dollar, not euro? Is that correct ? And that be cheaper than other banks and payment options

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

LillySV wrote: »
    Hi folks, going to the US next week and just received my Revolut card. So how does it work? I pay in euros to the account from my current account and then when USA, I buy items with card in shop by choosing dollar, not euro? Is that correct ? And that be cheaper than other banks and payment options

Ya top up in euro and opt to pay in the local currency of the country you're in.

-=al=- wrote: »
    For sweet sweet profit

You should be able to decline the conversion but it may be worded in a way that is confusing and may look like you’ll cancel the transaction altogether

25 is a bit weird though. Seems like a lot
    Still a bit confused by this. So I had 300 euro balance in my revolut account and went to withdraw 250.. I remember it saying on ATM that this converted to 236 pounds and it had option to accept atm conversion so I said yes and got 250 euro out if the atm but cost 276 from my balance.. I can understand there's a 1.50 charge for atm withdrawal above 200 but it looks like I've been double hit on conversion or something?

2cgdj44.png

Still a bit confused by this. So I had 300 euro balance in my revolut account and went to withdraw 250.. I remember it saying on ATM that this converted to 236 pounds and it had option to accept atm conversion so I said yes and got 250 euro out if the atm but cost 276 from my balance.. I can understand there's a 1.50 charge for atm withdrawal above 200 but it looks like I've been double hit on conversion or something?

2cgdj44.png

Always say no to the ATM conversion. Just let Revolut do it. I use an AIB machine near my office and it always throws the conversion at me. I took out €20 on Saturday. It gave me the option of €20 or going ahead with a transaction of £17.56 (or something like that). Always go with the euro one. I thinks it throws up the Sterling thing because the card is UK issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

When I was in krakow me and a friend both tried to withdraw money from an atm. We had different cards visa and MasterCard.
    I don’t know which one it was but the currency thing on the atm was messed up for one of our cards.

• Advertisement

Sounds like the ATM picked up that it's a UK account. Seems to depend on the ATM because I've never been asked anything when taking money out here.

But next time say no to the ATM doing the conversion.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I was presented with a chip and pin machine the same way as I would be in Tesco., The currency quoted on the machine was Euros, the currency of the country I am currently staying in is Euros. Why the fcuk would Sterling enter the equation.?

My card is also linked to my bank account and never ever has it taken money from my current account without me requesting it. Are you sure you don’t have auto top ups enabled ???

If you didn’t have enough euros in your euro section of REVOLUT it would have taken it from the nearest available section, that being sterling or dollars etc.

Seems to me that REVOLUT did exactly as it was meant to do

I have been asked about the conversion when using a free standing atm like the ones in a petrol station but there’s always an option to say no, I think it says cancel the conversion or something along those lines.
    Woman in subway asked me once if I wanted to pay in gpb or euro so her machine must have picked the card up as U.K. but it’s never happened since

I have been asked about the conversion when using a free standing atm like the ones in a petrol station but there’s always an option to say no, I think it says cancel the conversion or something along those lines.
    Woman in subway asked me once if I wanted to pay in gpb or euro so her machine must have picked the card up as U.K. but it’s never happened since
    Yeah support guy says card was recognized as UK card and ATM applied it's own conversion when I agreed to it.. guess just need to be more carful going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Jeff2 wrote: »
    I know they're busy because of latest news but in app I'm asked to verify my email and can't get an email after going through the process.

.?

I got this sorted.

In app it has 'go to email' I tap that and brings me to the phone email app which my email is not linked.
    I disabled that app and tapping the go to email brings me to Gmail app.

In Gmail I found the Revolut email in the promotions folder.

Also I think the ATMs that give option to convert are eurocash ATMs not tied to any Irish bank.

Wheety wrote: »
    Sounds like the ATM picked up that it's a UK account. Seems to depend on the ATM because I've never been asked anything when taking money out here.

But next time say no to the ATM doing the conversion.

The ATMs are weird. I topped up my Revolut card recently with my Ulster Bank credit card. I went to an Ulster Bank ATM to withdraw some cash but it seemed to recognise the transaction as a cash advance. I went to AIB instead and took out the money no problem. It offered me the transaction in Sterling as usual but I just said no.

In the previous post you said it gave you no option, did it give you the opportunity to cancel the conversion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭Jeff2

TheChizler wrote: »
    In the previous post you said it gave you no option, did it give you the opportunity to cancel the conversion?

That what happened me and I had no glasses with me and people behind so I just pushed what would get me money and was charged.

Later I went again armed with glasses and no one around. This time no charge as I'd figured it out. :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Threads merged.

• Advertisement

Guys. Anyone any idea if topping up with a uksterbank credit card is seen as a cash advance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement