Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

adam88 wrote: »
    Guys. Anyone any idea if topping up with a uksterbank credit card is seen as a cash advance.

I don't it with permanent last week and it was exactly like paying for an item. No issues apart from the call from the fraud department but we're obviously happy as I said it was me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Guys. Anyone any idea if topping up with a uksterbank credit card is seen as a cash advance.
    No it's treated like a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

TheChizler wrote: »

Thank you. UlsterbankRI won’t allow me to transfer a balance between two of their credit cards. Guess who just got one up on them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

TheChizler wrote: »

Thank you. UlsterbankRI won’t allow me to transfer a balance between two of their credit cards. Guess who just got one up on them lol

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I've topped up my Revolut with my Ulster Bank credit card and spent it electronically without any problems. If you try and withdraw that credit card top up as cash it seems to depend on what ATM you try to withdraw it at. I've topped up my Revolut from my credit card and withdrawn it as cash from an AIB ATM and it was fine. I tried the same thing but from an Ulster Bank ATM and it tried to treat it as a cash advance.

Just an add on, withdrawing a credit card top up as cash from Euronet machines works fine as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

City of London Police launch fraud investigation into Revolut:

https://www.ft.com/content/bd58f570-3e87-11e9-b896-fe36ec32aece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

For those who don't have a full FT subcription:

https://www.bankingtech.com/2019/03/uk-police-probe-revolut-over-fraud-claims/

This is apears to be an investigation into single money transfer of 70K £ that went into a wrong account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

For those who don't have a full FT subcription:

https://www.bankingtech.com/2019/03/uk-police-probe-revolut-over-fraud-claims/

This is apears to be an investigation into single money transfer of 70K £ that went into a wrong account.

yes its a bit much from the financial times, click bait was the first thing that came to mind, she probably entered the wrong details lol

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

OmegaGene wrote: »
    yes its a bit much from the financial times, click bait was the first thing that came to mind, she probably entered the wrong details lol

Clickbait is right. The very last paragraph of the bankingtech article reads:

FinTech Futures contacted Revolut for its official comments about the FT report.

A spokesperson says: “This article relates to a payment of £73,515 from a non-Revolut customer to a Revolut customer. In this case the payment instructions that the non-Revolut customer provided were incorrect and so the funds never reached Revolut.

“On behalf of the customer, Revolut worked with its partners to investigate the misdirected payments to ensure the funds were returned, however, Revolut was never in control of the funds.

“We have spoken with the Met Police and they have confirmed that they are not investigating Revolut in any way and to say so is misleading and damaging to us.”

• Advertisement

There is even more to the story which any decent journalist would have found out in 2 minutes.

It's discussed in more detail in the Revolut in trouble thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057960579

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

There is even more to the story which any decent journalist would have found out in 2 minutes.

It's discussed in more detail in the Revolut in trouble thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057960579

There's nothing more in that thread. What are you talking about?

Synode wrote: »
    There's nothing more in that thread. What are you talking about?

You did check the last 2 pages which have some post in there with links to other sources, more balanced ones or even more details about the person that made that complaint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

You did check the last 2 pages which have some post in there with links to other sources, more balanced ones or even more details about the person that made that complaint?

There's nothing new there though. Everything has been posted and discussed above. Maybe I misread your post 2 posts up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Louche Lad wrote: »
    City of London Police launch fraud investigation into Revolut:

https://www.ft.com/content/bd58f570-3e87-11e9-b896-fe36ec32aece

That article has actually been taken down again by FT.

At the bottom of this article: https://www.bankingtech.com/2019/03/uk-police-probe-revolut-over-fraud-claims/ it says:
    A spokesperson says: This article relates to a payment of £73,515 from a non-Revolut customer to a Revolut customer. In this case the payment instructions that the non-Revolut customer provided were incorrect and so the funds never reached Revolut.

On behalf of the customer, Revolut worked with its partners to investigate the misdirected payments to ensure the funds were returned, however, Revolut was never in control of the funds.

So it was really non-news and scaremongering. The fact is actually that the muppet who transferred the money didn't send it the right place.

There is an article in the Indo also: https://www.independent.ie/world-news/police-assessing-revolut-over-money-transfer-complaint-37881412.html

/M

Complained about Revolut and they didn’t even have the money !!! Can’t make stuff up
    Whoever approved that story should be for the high jump but no doubt it was click bait worthy for all their advertisers, things are bad when we have to second guess news reports as most of it is complete bo77ocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

UK banks hit daily by IT failures halting payments, says Which?
    Six of the biggest British banks found to suffer at least one major glitch every two weeks.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/mar/04/uk-banks-hit-daily-by-it-failures-halting-payments-says-which

Interesting that the media latched on to issues with Revolut while largely ignoring this report by the consumer advocacy group Which.

Possibly have something to do with the amount of ad revenue from the big banks. Revolut on the other hand had spent virtually nothing on advertising up to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Lads has anyone any ideas as to what I do next in this scenario?

Ordered an item from Amazon on Saturday priced at 280E. It was being sold via third party.

Realised by Sunday that the item wasn't due to be delivered for over a week which didn't suit me and so I cancelled it.

The money left my revolut card on the Saturday, and i haven't seen the cash being returned to the card since.

Have been in touch with Amazon several times now, who tells me they don't actually take the money, it merely sits somewhere to be authorised, and the bank need to release the funds back to me.

Revolut online chat is atrocious.

Needed the particular item this week, and was prepared to go into a bricks and mortar to pay for it, but now the cash I had set aside for it is in limbo somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Ordered an item from Amazon on Saturday priced at 280E. It was being sold via third party.

Realised by Sunday that the item wasn't due to be delivered for over a week which didn't suit me and so I cancelled it.

The money left my revolut card on the Saturday, and i haven't seen the cash being returned to the card since.

Have been in touch with Amazon several times now, who tells me they don't actually take the money, it merely sits somewhere to be authorised, and the bank need to release the funds back to me.

Revolut online chat is atrocious.

Needed the particular item this week, and was prepared to go into a bricks and mortar to pay for it, but now the cash I had set aside for it is in limbo somewhere.

You'll get it back in the next few days. This has nothing to do with Amazon or even Revolut really, this is how cancelled pending charges are revoked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Wait, money can take a week or more to be returned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Feck sake, should have just let it come to me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Trying to make a purchase using Revolut for the first time just now. I'm unable to link my card to PayPal (as PayPal says the address is invalid) then I'm unable to use the virtual card directly on ebay. I'm getting a popup on Revolut saying authorisation request for PayPal and ebay but unable to proceed from here! What exactly is the app looking for in order to authorise the transaction or the link? Any help much appreciated.

ppn wrote: »
    Trying to make a purchase using Revolut for the first time just now. I'm unable to link my card to PayPal (as PayPal says the address is invalid) then I'm unable to use the virtual card directly on ebay. I'm getting a popup on Revolut saying authorisation request for PayPal and ebay but unable to proceed from here! What exactly is the app looking for in order to authorise the transaction or the link? Any help much appreciated.

On PayPal go to the section add a card and add the card and then you can make it your primary payment if you wish or chop and change between cards, I have 6 cards linked to PayPal.
    Maybe you’re trying to change the main card on your account rather than adding an extra one.
    If that still doesn’t work get onto PayPal via chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Also go to app and card then card security.

Make sure online transaction is turned on.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    On PayPal go to the section add a card and add the card and then you can make it your primary payment if you wish or chop and change between cards, I have 6 cards linked to PayPal.
    Maybe you’re trying to change the main card on your account rather than adding an extra one.
    If that still doesn’t work get onto PayPal via chat
    Thanks, after a few attempts PayPal finally accepted it. Must have been a glitch. Purchase showing up in Revolut now pending 99% so I presume this will go through shortly without further intervention. Here's hoping!

Thanks, after a few attempts PayPal finally accepted it. Must have been a glitch. Purchase showing up in Revolut now pending 99% so I presume this will go through shortly without further intervention. Here's hoping!

When I first added Revolut to PayPal and purchased an item PayPal still did the conversion, when I contacted Revolut they outlined the steps which stopped PayPal doing any conversion in future, yours might go through perfectly fine but keep an eye on it as PayPal’s rates are terrible

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Also go to app and card then card security.

Make sure online transaction is turned on.

I can't see card security. Using the virtual card, the options underneath it are; Freeze card, Unblock CVV and Limit. Then an option to rename or remove card on top. Maybe I'm missing something. Hopefully I've got it sorted anyway, will check transaction status again later. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I can't see card security. Using the virtual card, the options underneath it are; Freeze card, Unblock CVV and Limit. Then an option to rename or remove card on top. Maybe I'm missing something. Hopefully I've got it sorted anyway, will check transaction status again later. Thanks

Go to the physical card section on the same screen. You'll see security under there and the option to turn on or off online payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Also PayPal, Amazon etc will put a temporary £1/€1 charge on your card for the verification purposes. Might hold it up a little.

• Advertisement

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Also PayPal, Amazon etc will put a temporary £1/€1 charge on your card for the verification purposes. Might hold it up a little.

When I managed to link with PayPal, the £1 charge was put through pretty much instantly and the code showed up in Revolut within seconds. Usually takes at least a couple of days with the mainstream banks as far as I can remember.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement