Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Works perfectly in Ireland, UK, USA and Caribbean as credit card for chip and pin transactions, and signature (USA). Also works perfectly for cash withdrawals, no fees. Saved me quite a bit.

The big thing to watch out for in USA is tips; for example, if your bill is $100 they will swipe the card and put a hold on the $100, then you sign the receipt and add a tip of say $20, then they put through a second transaction of $120. Unfortunately the first hold isn't released for a few days/weeks, so your balance is reduced by both amounts (in this case $220) for that duration. Other than that I've had no issues at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Would it be possible to transfer £ from my paypal to my revolut a/c ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Don't think you're allowed use it on any gambling sites, same as most pre-paid cards.

You can use Skrill on pretty much any Gambling site.

In fact many (Betfair, Boyles, Bet365) will have the Skrill logo on their sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Don't think you're allowed use it on any gambling sites, same as most pre-paid cards.

You can use Skrill on pretty much any Gambling site.

In fact many (Betfair, Boyles, Bet365) will have the Skrill logo on their sites.

I said "Most"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Just back from the US where I used the card exclusively. Worked in all but 1 store I think. Absolutely brilliant card, used it for everything from $2 donuts to $500 dresses (thanks wife). No problems withdrawing cash, but certain companies do charge an ATM fee. TD bank didnt, so just used those guys. But really hardly used any cash. Card accepted everywhere.

You get a full list of every transaction from the whole trip, that you can browse on the app.

I'm going to bench my ATM card and just use this exclusively from now on. Save on the bank nailing me with transactions all the time. Sure I'll have a risk if it gets nicked, but I can live with that.

Said it before, great work OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

Arbie wrote: »
    Works perfectly in Ireland, UK, USA and Caribbean as credit card for chip and pin transactions, and signature (USA). Also works perfectly for cash withdrawals, no fees. Saved me quite a bit.

The big thing to watch out for in USA is tips; for example, if your bill is $100 they will swipe the card and put a hold on the $100, then you sign the receipt and add a tip of say $20, then they put through a second transaction of $120. Unfortunately the first hold isn't released for a few days/weeks, so your balance is reduced by both amounts (in this case $220) for that duration. Other than that I've had no issues at all.

I have observed the same thing in the US regarding tips, it is quite annoying. To avoid this, perhaps best way is to pay tips in cash? Or would it still hold $100 and then take $100 if you do that to follow your sample transaction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I'm just back from the Web Summit today. Revolut had a stand there. I'm not sure if the "MSE" promo code has expired but they had a sign up with a new promo code of "WebSummit".

They had stacks of cards in the cool packaging to hand out to people so I'm not sure will this promo code only work with those cards, worth a try though. Didn't say what the promotion was but as the exhibitors seem to change every day this code might only be valid today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Bhangraman wrote: »
    I have observed the same thing in the US regarding tips, it is quite annoying. To avoid this, perhaps best way is to pay tips in cash? Or would it still hold $100 and then take $100 if you do that to follow your sample transaction?
    You're right - if you pay the tip in cash they just put the 1st transaction through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

They have a referral offer going as well, £5 for the referrer. How about we start doing that here? Sign up using the user above you etc and move down through the list. There have been similar ideas before. Possibly worthy of its own thread but I'll get the ball rolling here :)

Edit: removed URL as not allowed referral codes in BA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

They have a referral offer going as well, £5 for the referrer. How about we start doing that here? Sign up using the user above you etc and move down through the list. There have been similar ideas before. Possibly worthy of its own thread but I'll get the ball rolling here :)

https://revolut.com/r/eoina6t

Shenanigans !! Are you that greedy ? Don't kill a good thing !

• Advertisement

bmm wrote: »
    Shenanigans !! Are you that greedy ? Don't kill a good thing !

How exactly is that greedy or killing a good thing? It's an offer from the developers, why not take advantage. I've already signed up but would have happily used someones referral code, why wouldn't I. I don't see what the or your problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

How exactly is that greedy or killing a good thing? It's an offer from the developers, why not take advantage. I've already signed up but would have happily used someones referral code, why wouldn't I. I don't see what the or your problem is.

Thought referrals threads were banned.Yep the charter says:

Referrals are not permitted on Bargain Alerts.

For those who are un-initated or unsure of what does or doesn't constitute a referral - the following should help you..

A referral is when you personally benefit from sharing a link or code - e.g "share this link to 5 of your friends and you'll get the deal for free!.

As mentioned, this typically comes complete with a personalised code or link:
    A referral link is when there is a unique / personalised code at the end of a link - e.g
    http://buysomethinghere.com/buythisitem.html?userID=22992

(note the userID parameter)
    A referral code is typically a unique / personalised code given out to users from busineses to entice people to use their code. But do note - there is a difference between a generic voucher code (e.g 20OFF) and a personalised referral code. We can make the call on this if you're unsure.
    If you're unclear on whether you might be posting a referral, feel free to PM one of the Bargain Alert moderators who'll hopefully be able to clarify. But if you're not sure and you post, don't be suprised to see your thread deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Because Bargain Alerts doesn't allow referral links and we don't want the thread shut down due to them.

Cossax wrote: »
    Because Bargain Alerts doesn't allow referral links and we don't want the thread shut down due to them.

Yeah I've removed it now. I didn't realise this was the case. I've seen and used referral threads on other boards forums before so I assumed it was allowed. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

I just lodged 1000 euro and got 5stg bonus for first time sign up.

Question is: I am going to USA specifically Newark airport and am hoping to withdraw US dollars from an ATM at the airport for the Vegas leg of the trip.
    Do I have to have to transfer from my euro balance to US dollar before using or does it automatically deduct the US dollars from my euro/bigger balance?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Question is: I am going to USA specifically Newark airport and am hoping to withdraw US dollars from an ATM at the airport for the Vegas leg of the trip.
    Do I have to have to transfer from my euro balance to US dollar before using or does it automatically deduct the US dollars from my euro/bigger balance?

Thanks in advance

No, it will convert it from whatever currency your balance is in automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭ongarite

Techmaster wrote: »

Thanks in advance

No, it will convert it from whatever currency your balance is in automatically.
    I've a similar question.
    If I'm buying from eBay UK or Amazon UK do I need exchange my topup Euro amount to Sterling first before making the purchases?
    If I don't am I charged an fx fee to do so?
    At the moment I have been exchanging my Euro topup balance to Sterling which adds an extra step or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

Thanks in advance

I was not able to find a free ATM in Newark airside, all of them were having fees. You do not need to make conversion, it will happen automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭glen25

Would this be a better option than the An Post Post FX card? Heading to New York in December and was thinking of getting a prepaid card for the trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

glen25 wrote: »
    Would this be a better option than the An Post Post FX card? Heading to New York in December and was thinking of getting a prepaid card for the trip

This is better than any other prepaid card in the market :)

• Advertisement

Brilliant, thanks. I just signed up and hit the 'I dont have a promo code' in error. Support have told me that you cannot apply a code retrospectively! Grrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Brilliant, thanks. I just signed up and hit the 'I dont have a promo code' in error. Support have told me that you cannot apply a code retrospectively! Grrrrrr

Let them know on chat on the app, they should be able to apply it for you :pac:

Let them know on chat on the app, they should be able to apply it for you :pac:
    They're not budging on it! I had already contacted them through the app chat

They're not budging on it! I had already contacted them through the app chat

Probably gone strict on the free monies.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you are buying from amazon.co.uk, etc. Should you first convert it to Sterling in the app or can you just topup with Euro and leave it at that, will a euro balance be automatically (and without fees) be converted to sterling when the amazon order comes through?

It will automatically take it using their great currency exchange rate. Just make sure Amazon order is in pounds and not in Euros.

Personally I like to convert to exact amount in pounds first on revolut but it isn't necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Used this while i was away in NY last week. Have to say, found it excellent. I just transferred money in the morning before id leave the hotel and used wifi if i needed to top it up. i maxed out the €1500 limit. i tried to verify my passport but it says i dont have NFC on my phone. Any other way around this?

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    Used this while i was away in NY last week. Have to say, found it excellent. I just transferred money in the morning before id leave the hotel and used wifi if i needed to top it up. i maxed out the €1500 limit. i tried to verify my passport but it says i dont have NFC on my phone. Any other way around this?
    Was that a daily €1500 limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Garlito

Can you top up the card in Irish shops like the 02 money card.

• Advertisement

Garlito wrote:
    Can you top up the card in Irish shops like the 02 money card.

Nope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement