Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

glen25 wrote:
    Was that a daily €1500 limit?

No €1500 in a year. If you go over that you need to verify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Just back from a trip to Florida & used this card for everything it was brilliant no issues whatsoever & the instant notification for each transaction was great. Just transferred funds over when needed and worked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tuff1

For anybody who is with a bank that charges current account fees, do they charge for transferring money on to the card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

tuff1 wrote: »
    For anybody who is with a bank that charges current account fees, do they charge for transferring money on to the card?

Firstly move your current account to for example PTSB or EBS but to answer your question your bank will charge you your debit card transaction fee.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,329 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If I transfer money onto a card to buy stuff from Amazon, for example, and I transfer too much and am left with a balance, can I transfer it back to my current account? I presume that once you open an account and top up you can use it for online purchases immediately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Yes, Your money transfers almost immediately and the app will give you the card details that you can use on-line. You can order a physical card which takes a few days from the app.

Zaph wrote: »
    If I transfer money onto a card to buy stuff from Amazon, for example, and I transfer too much and am left with a balance, can I transfer it back to my current account? I presume that once you open an account and top up you can use it for online purchases immediately?

Yeah you can transfer it back to your account taking a couple of days I assume.

What I prefer to do tho is top up whatever's left to round it to the nearest 20 and withdraw it from an atm using the physical card you order for free from the app.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,329 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks guys.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Yeah you can transfer it back to your account taking a couple of days I assume.

What I prefer to do tho is top up whatever's left to round it to the nearest 20 and withdraw it from an atm using the physical card you order for free from the app.

- Great idea because it does take a good few days if you withdraw money to your bank account from the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

The almighty Zaph is a member of the revolut club

All praise Zaph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

how safe is this? Some of the comments on the play store regarding this app are unfavourable stating it's not that secure and some a/c's were cleared out. I'd love to get red of the cc altogether and get something like this for online purchases but the security thing has me worried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I have spent over €3k since signing up in september and had no issues at all. Friend of mine has €10k ready to use on the card when travalling asia for the next four weeks, hopefully they encounter no problems but i will let everyone know when they come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭listermint

how safe is this? Some of the comments on the play store regarding this app are unfavourable stating it's not that secure and some a/c's were cleared out. I'd love to get red of the cc altogether and get something like this for online purchases but the security thing has me worried

As has been stated in the thread numerous times.using the app you can set the card to blocked meaning it cannot be used and only unblock it when you require to use it.

Problem solved it takes seconds

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well I've been using mine close to two months now and I haven't had a single issue security wise, I generally find app reviews are a bit like trip advisor reviews, not very accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

JT26 wrote: »
    Can i use this card with a Canadian bank account?

- Yes but highly not recommended for 'loading' the card:-

"If your bank is located outside of the EU and you are topping up via a bank transfer, your bank may charge you a large international wire transfer fee, as this transfer would go via SWIFT. In this scenario, it's best to check with your bank before topping up so you are fully away of any possible fees that they might charge you. Topping up via bank card would not incur this fee so this might be a better option where possible."

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Have been using this card for the last two months in canada.... a pure gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

Got the card yesterday, packaging is very cool.

Used it this morning.

Sub total was €1.98 Revolut charged me €2.10. On the receipt it had £1.49 which exchanged to €2.10.

Do I have it set up incorrectly? My balance is in Euro.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Got the card yesterday, packaging is very cool.

Used it this morning.

Sub total was €1.98 Revolut charged me €2.10. On the receipt it had £1.49 which exchanged to €2.10.

Do I have it set up incorrectly? My balance is in Euro.

Sounds like the website you bought from identified the Revolut card as a UK card and automatically converted the balance to GBP at their beefed-up exchange rate, which in turn Revolut converted back to Euro.

If it was PayPal, make sure it's set to charge your Revolut card in the currency of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

Quackster wrote: »
    Sounds like the website you bought from identified the Revolut card as a UK card and automatically converted the balance to GBP at their beefed-up exchange rate, which in turn Revolut converted back to Euro.

If it was PayPal, make sure it's set to charge your Revolut card in the currency of purchase.

Used the physical card in the work canteen as a test, head office is in London so maybe their chip and pin machine is GBP.

I will try a few small purchases in shops elsewhere and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

I'd say the machine got you to agree to pay in Euro rather than sterling and did the conversation at a lesser rate than the card would.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

I've somehow managed to get a negative balance of over €30 on my card.

Has anyone else done this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

I've somehow managed to get a negative balance of over €30 on my card.

Has anyone else done this?

Happened me when a hold was put on then the full charge came through before the hold was released. Went over by €104.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Arbie wrote: »
    Happened me when a hold was put on then the full charge came through before the hold was released. Went over by €104.

Is there any penalty to going negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

This card is fantastic. I've 2 trips to USA and a few to Uk coming up so it'll save me a fair bit.

Thanks OP

I have started using a service called Revolut which offers a prepaid mastercard and allows you to convert money to USD/GBP at market rates with zero commission https://revolut.com/

I think we all owe tomfoolery60 a big thanks for bringing it to our attention. Thanks Tom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

September1 wrote: »
    I was not able to find a free ATM in Newark airside, all of them were having fees. You do not need to make conversion, it will happen automatically.

Thanks for that. I'll be in Newark and then onto Vegas. I think every ATM has a charge in Vegas so was hoping Newark airport might have a free one. Looks like i'll have to get a few hundred dollars from the CU beforehand. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

martyos121 wrote: »
    Is there any penalty to going negative?

No I topped it up by the amount owing and there was no penalty, just went to zero. I wonder what would happen if you left it negative for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Arbie wrote: »
    No I topped it up by the amount owing and there was no penalty, just went to zero. I wonder what would happen if you left it negative for a while.

It wouldnt work and they do have your home address.

• Advertisement

Anybody try getting 'Cashback' in a shop with this card?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement