Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

Added my visa to Apple Pay, excellent been waiting for this for ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭bren2002

I had 2 recurring payments to vaults that should have actioned yesterday, but didn't.
    Nothing obviously wrong, balance etc is all good.

Any ideas or similar experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Added my 535298 and 539123 Mastercards to Apple Pay.
    No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Lads Is Revolut accepted in Super Value. I had a Card declined earlier. Maybe it's s fault with the terminal but I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Lads Is Revolut accepted in Super Value. I had a Card declined earlier. Maybe it's s fault with the terminal but I'm not sure

Yes I've used it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I’ve used it there many times, the only place I had trouble with was the post office

The internet isn’t for everyone

msmx5 wrote: »
    Yes I've used it there.
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    I’ve used it there many times, the only place I had trouble with was the post office

Thanks Lads, good to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mun1

Make sure you have contactless switched on in settings

mun1 wrote: »
    Make sure you have contactless switched on in settings

Just checked settings.
    Contactless is turned on but I had Swipe Payments turned off to prevent Cloning. That might have prevented the Terminal from reading it. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how it went as others might need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Trying to sign up . Driving licence and sefie OK but they won't accept my PSC card.

I'm getting this.
    We need one tiny piece of information from you to finish setting up your Revolut account.

We couldn’t verify your account because the ID you submitted was issued in a country outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). We’re currently only available to residents of the EEA!

Please could you take a quick snap of one of the documents below? You’ll be able to start using your Revolut account in minutes.

A Residence card
    A working visa
    A Family visa which has been issued for a minimum of 6 months (and is valid for at least 3 months from today).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

PSC isn't an id card (not in the wider sense outside accessing government services) or doesn't prove your nationality. Use your passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just checked settings.
    Contactless is turned on but I had Swipe Payments turned off to prevent Cloning. That might have prevented the Terminal from reading it. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how it went as others might need to know.

Have you activated contactless by using it with chip and pin first?

Wheety wrote: »
    Have you activated contactless by using it with chip and pin first?

Yes Contactless works fine.

I tried the Card again Today and the Terminal in Super Value read the card so it must have been that I had the Swipe setting Off previously.

I couldn't get cashback though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I tried the Card again Today and the Terminal in Super Value read the card so it must have been that I had the Swipe setting Off previously.

as far as i know you need the metal/premium plan for cashback

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    as far as i know you need the metal/premium plan for cashback

Wasn't aware of that. All round still a great Card card though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

You can't get cashback. Unless your local bar will charge you money for a pint but add on extra and give you the cash. Ways around everything :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Loads how do yous get away with paying fees at ATMs in foreign countries? It happened both times I used an ATM here in Malaysia band happens no matter where I go. It defeats the purpose of using revolut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Loads how do yous get away with paying fees at ATMs in foreign countries? It happened both times I used an ATM here in Malaysia band happens no matter where I go. It defeats the purpose of using revolut

There are a few things to consider:
    1. there's a limit of how much you can withdraw without incurring Revolut charges. See this.
    2. depending on the bank, they may ask for fees themselves, so it's not Revolut who gets it, but the bank you use in that country. I think I remember visiting a page on Revolut website with details for my upcoming trip to USA, and they advised which bank to avoid, as they charged extra, but the page has disappeared. Discussion here.
    3. currency conversions: See this.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I would avoid withdrawing cash if possible (Revolut take 2% of anything over €200 a month, they have to make money somehow I suppose). Not sure how practical avoiding cash is in Malaysia. If withdrawing always withdraw in the local currency. Don't accept x amount of local currency for x amount of euros/pounds if it comes up on the ATM screen. Local banks may have their own fees separate from Revolut for using their ATMs. This is quite common in Spain. Banks will charge people who are not their customers for using their machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Oh I know it's not revoluts fault. But sometimes in certain areas.. especially vnext week in Philippines, cash is the only option..sadly.

I'll take your advice guys and see how I get on for the rest of the month :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Oh I know it's not revoluts fault. But sometimes in certain areas.. especially vnext week in Philippines, cash is the only option..sadly.

I'll take your advice guys and see how I get on for the rest of the month :)

There's a thread here in the Revolut community that has lists of banks that don't charge for ATM withdrawals.

Another tip is to get a Curve card and adding your Revolut to that. You'll be able to withdraw €400 a month instead of €200 that way (€200 from each card).

If you decide to get a Curve card you could send me a PM and I'll send you a referral link so we can both get €5 for you signing up. It's free to sign up but a fiver's a fiver :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

It's the same in Thailand. It's the bank charging. I normally just bring some cash and change at Airport as a back up then when paying in restaurant i use revolut.

But if i do withdraw from ATM it's still cheaper than using my Irish card and i get a better rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Polka King of_the Midwest

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Normally I just use mine in any shop which has the 'contactlesss' symbol, north or south of the border.
    Works on any although I've been noticing some machines take a long time to register the contactless transaction but that could be down to the phone cover I have
    bromley52 wrote: »
    Most (90%) but not all with a terminal are set up.
    For example some Argos stores don't take any contactless payments and I was in one shop that only accepted Apple Pay.

The bonus of using a device over the physical card is in the majority or cases you can go above €30.
    The only 2 exceptions I have come across are Tesco and Penney's who have locked their systems to €30 no matter what contactless method has been used.

Thanks fellas/ladies. Wasn't sure if retailers had to be set up to accommodate it. Sometimes I've seen notices at tills saying Google Pay was accepted. Sometimes my phone has prompted me letting me know Google Pay was accepted. Other times I just don't know if a place accepts it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

bromley52 wrote: »
    The bonus of using a device over the physical card is in the majority or cases you can go above €30.
    The only 2 exceptions I have come across are Tesco and Penney's who have locked their systems to €30 no matter what contactless method has been used.

Noticed that alright. Aldi .. over 70 EUR .. no problem .. Tesco .. no go.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

Have any of you experienced issues with using the Revolut card in New York. I recommended the card to a friend who was going and she got one to use over there. I got her to try use it here before she went and it worked fine. She used it in a shop and she took dollars out of the ATM in Dublin Airport and it worked perfectly. However when she tried to pay for a meal with it and for a hop on hop bus yesterday and it was declined both times. She even tried it in an ATM over there and no joy.

I only got to talk to her for a minute earlier as she was leaving a wifi area and going out for the day but I said I would try figure out why it might be happening. My gut feeling is she has some setting turned on/off in the security settings. I noticed there is a location based security setting too, could this stop it working in the US?

I am hoping some of you might know exactly what setting would cause it so I can help her resolve the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

MB05 wrote: »
    Have any of you experienced issues with using the Revolut card in New York. I recommended the card to a friend who was going and she got one to use over there. I got her to try use it here before she went and it worked fine. She used it in a shop and she took dollars out of the ATM in Dublin Airport and it worked perfectly. However when she tried to pay for a meal with it and for a hop on hop bus yesterday and it was declined both times. She even tried it in an ATM over there and no joy.

I only got to talk to her for a minute earlier as she was leaving a wifi area and going out for the day but I said I would try figure out why it might be happening. My gut feeling is she has some setting turned on/off in the security settings. I noticed there is a location based security setting too, could this stop it working in the US?

I am hoping some of you might know exactly what setting would cause it so I can help her resolve the issue.

I used mine in the US last October without any issue, the location based security is turned off in my settings if thats of any use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

threein99 wrote: »
    I used mine in the US last October without any issue, the location based security is turned off in my settings if thats of any use to you.

Thanks threein99, my card setting is the same and I have never had any issues either when I used it in Orlando. I am hoping it's just that she switched something like that on by accident and I can identify the issue easily when she gets back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

MB05 wrote: »
    Thanks threein99, my card setting is the same and I have never had any issues either when I used it in Orlando. I am hoping it's just that she switched something like that on by accident and I can identify the issue easily when she gets back to me.

Maybe shes got data roaming turned off while in the US, so her location settings wont know where her phone is in relation to her card until shes back in Wifi??

Lads I want to make a deposit to Coinbase or Kraken.
    Does either of them accept deposits from Revolut.

If they don't I will have to deposit from Tsb but I will need to transfer money from Revolut into Tsb.
    How long would it take to transfer from Revolut to Tsb. I know transferring from Tsb to Revolut is instant but I'm not sure if the same applies in reverse.

I don't want to have to wait till Monday for Tsb to receive the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Lads I want to make a deposit to Coinbase or Kraken.
    Does either of them accept deposits from Revolut.

If they don't I will have to deposit from Tsb but I will need to transfer money from Revolut into Tsb.
    How long would it take to transfer from Revolut to Tsb. I know transferring from Tsb to Revolut is instant but I'm not sure if the same applies in reverse.

I don't want to have to wait till Monday for Tsb to receive the money.

Transferring or paying in by card? Card should be instant.

I topped up my Revolut this morning and then transferred money to N26. Was there this afternoon so they're quick enough sending money. Whether Coinbase or Kraken process it quickly, I don't know.

As to whether they accept Revolut, I can't see why not. Unless they have restrictions. I'm not too familiar with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement