Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Wheety wrote: »
    Transferring or paying in by card? Card should be instant.

I topped up my Revolut this morning and then transferred money to N26. Was there this afternoon so they're quick enough sending money. Whether Coinbase or Kraken process it quickly, I don't know.

As to whether they accept Revolut, I can't see why not. Unless they have restrictions. I'm not too familiar with them.

Transfer, I think fees are charged if I pay in by card using Tsb so I presume the same is true for Revolut if it's accepted.

I talked to a rep on Revolut earlier but he didn't seem to know for sure if Coinbase accepted Revolut. Kraken doesnt accept Revolut

He said it would take 2+ days to transfer from Revolut to Tsb. The reason Tsb to Revolut is Instant Is that it is a Top-up and not a Transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭paska

I took out phone insurance, paying weekly and now i have damaged my phone. Does anyone know if I claim now do i have to pay the balance of the policy. If I have to pay its not a problem but just wondering if anyone has any experience of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

paska wrote: »
    I took out phone insurance, paying weekly and now i have damaged my phone. Does anyone know if I claim now do i have to pay the balance of the policy. If I have to pay its not a problem but just wondering if anyone has any experience of this.

I can't say for 100% but I think it's just the excess fee of €35 or whatever it is in your case.

Let me know how you get on with it as I have phone insurance with them too but not had to use it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Transfer, I think fees are charged if I pay in by card using Tsb so I presume the same is true for Revolut if it's accepted.

I talked to a rep on Revolut earlier but he didn't seem to know for sure if Coinbase accepted Revolut. Kraken doesnt accept Revolut

He said it would take 2+ days to transfer from Revolut to Tsb. The reason Tsb to Revolut is Instant Is that it is a Top-up and not a Transfer
    You can transfer from Revolut to Coinbase. If you do it in the morning then it should arrive within a few hours.

carrotcake wrote: »
    You can transfer from Revolut to Coinbase. If you do it in the morning then it should arrive within a few hours.

Great stuff, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I haven't really used my Revolut in over a year and was trying to refresh my memory on how it all works but googling has left me a bit confused. I'm wondering if people could clear up the following:

1. What the benefit of exchanging money in the app is as opposed to just letting the card do it as you pay for things /withdraw cash
    2. If I exchange money in the app e.g. to ££ how do I ensure that the POS/ATM machine takes payment from my ££ balance and not my €€ balance?
    3. Which method is better to use/ most cost effective?

(I'm aware that the exchange rate isn't as good on the weekend)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I haven't really used my Revolut in over a year and was trying to refresh my memory on how it all works but googling has left me a bit confused. I'm wondering if people could clear up the following:

1. What the benefit of exchanging money in the app is as opposed to just letting the card do it as you pay for things /withdraw cash
    2. If I exchange money in the app e.g. to ££ how do I ensure that the POS/ATM machine takes payment from my ££ balance and not my €€ balance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

aaabbbb wrote: »

Well as you said, there's a benefit to change it before a weekend. Also if say, sterling drops and you're going to the UK soon, it could be worth your while changing in advance. So apart from locking in a rate (and to avoid the weekend loading) there's not much difference. I tend to just let Revolut do the exchange live.

The requested balance will be checked first. If in Ireland, this will be Euro and in the UK, Sterling. Just ensure you're not letting the ATM do the exchange. If there's not enough in that balance, then it'll take it from a balance which does have enough. It won't take some from 2 different ones.

@carrotcake
    I made the transfer and it only took 2 hours. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Applepay is live. Just added my MasterCard. Must be the announcement coming soon.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Your a bit late to the party :pac:
    Really (o: when was it turned on? I don’t remember seeing an announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Really (o: when was it turned on? I don’t remember seeing an announcement.

Went live on the 30th of May

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Went live on the 30th of May

Thanks, missed it completely. I was on holidays though (o:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Thanks, missed it completely. I was on holidays though (o:

I missed the alert too I only noticed it from following this thread, handy to have as a back up

The internet isn’t for everyone

Transferred funds from PayPal to Revolut and it normally takes 2 days give or take and this time it only took 6 hours, very quick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Transferred funds from PayPal to Revolut and it normally takes 2 days give or take and this time it only took 6 hours, very quick

Had come on to ask how to do this. Do you just link your account with the IBAN from REvolut?

BKWDR wrote: »
    Had come on to ask how to do this. Do you just link your account with the IBAN from REvolut?

Go onto PayPal wallet and link a bank account and add the Iban details of the account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Was paying for something through PayPal earlier. The purchase was in Euro but PayPal offered to exchange it to Sterling (card is registered as from the UK). Obviously I said no and they tried to warn me that my card issuer would carry out the exchange as if they were doing me a favour.

At the time:
    PayPal £1 = €1.07
    Revolut £1 = €1.13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I just checked mine and the balance is minus €13 :confused:

Is there a difference in the cards between Mastercard and Visa. Which is the best?
    What's the story about the rate at the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Is there a difference in the cards between Mastercard and Visa. Which is the best?
    What's the story about the rate at the weekend?

No difference really. Functionality and acceptability of both cards are more or less the same. I wouldn't worry about the weekend rate unless you're dealing in transactions worth in the hundreds or thousands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

According to this article Revolut should be available on Apple Pay now.

bromley52 wrote: »
    According to this article Revolut should be available on Apple Pay now.

Did you read the thread at all ? It’s been available sine the end of May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Did you read the thread at all ? It’s been available sine the end of May
    Oh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

No difference really. Functionality and acceptability of both cards are more or less the same. I wouldn't worry about the weekend rate unless you're dealing in transactions worth in the hundreds or thousands.

There's some minor differences. certain mastercard cards (specific range) didn't work well on TfL terminals in London, Revolut sent out new cards to those affected. Visa cards didn't work great in myTaxi (not sure if this is remedied as I don't have one of their Visa's).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

There's some minor differences. certain mastercard cards (specific range) didn't work well on TfL terminals in London, Revolut sent out new cards to those affected. Visa cards didn't work great in myTaxi (not sure if this is remedied as I don't have one of their Visa's).

MyTaxi won't accept my revolut as it's a pre-paid card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

ahbell wrote: »
    MyTaxi won't accept my revolut as it's a pre-paid card.

FreeNow works fine with my virtual visa from revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

My physical MC Revolut card works fine too.

TFL MasterCard thing was resolved I believe, used be hit an miss on mine but working fine for the last year.

Was quite annoying if you had already started a journey!

Whats TFL

• Advertisement

Transport for London (the tube, DLR, Bus etc in London)

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement