Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rafter21

Thanks for the answers guys. When i send the money to the UK dealership's bank account (assuming they don't have Revolut) will it be seen as a UK bank to UK bank transfer or will it be seen as a transfer from my Revolut card to their bank account?

Does that make sense? Will they incur charges if it's a transfer fro my card to their bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

rafter21 wrote: »
    Does that make sense? Will they incur charges if it's a transfer fro my card to their bank account?

It should be considered a UK bank ac to UK bank ac transfer as long as you make sure to send the payment to their bank account and not send them a "link" to a payment.

To add them as a beneficiary
    1. go to "Payments" middle icon at the bottom of the app.
    2. Then "Send"
    3. Then select "Bank Accounts" third option below send after "All" and "Revolut Contacts"
    4. Lastly click "+" to Add a bank account
    5. Then follow instructions to select a business or whatever, the country, currency IBAN and BIC etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rafter21

Great. Thanks very much for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

My last U.K. transfer was complete in 2 hours and I don’t have the metal premium account so your transfer should be quicker
    Good luck with your purchase btw

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

I made a UK transfer this morning and it was done almost instantaneous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

I made a transfer to the Isl of Man, still a UK transfer and was done in about 2 hours, well I was contacted that they had received the funds hours later. Very quick and saved just shy of €25 on a transfer of £165 compared to the bricks and mortar banks in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

My card expires next month, will I be sent a new card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

My card expires next month, will I be sent a new card?

When it's within 28 days of expiry, you can order a new, free replacement card within the app under the cards section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭listermint

rafter21 wrote: »
    Hi guys, hope someone who knows more about International banking than I do can help.

I'm planning on going to the UK next week to buy a car. The car is £13,600. In order to get the best exchange rate my plan is to get a car loan and then transfer €16,000 from my bank account into my Revolut account. I've the Revolut Metal account if that matters. Anyway, I'll then exchange the €16k into my GBP pocket on Revolut. When I get to the UK and choose to buy the car, I'll transfer it to the car dealership's UK bank account. I'm hoping to be coming home on the same day. That's my plan anyway.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of issues I might run into? Will the transfer to the UK bank account be seen as a UK bank to UK bank transfer? Will I be able to transfer the entire amount in one go? Will there be charges for either side? Will it take days or hours?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm quite apprehensive about it as I'm sure something will go wrong. I asked in the help section on Revolut but they didn't seem to understand what I was asking.

Word of warning I had to to Similar transfer last year for a car. Their system fecked up. Their support was rubbish. Absymal in fact..I ended up having to cancel transaction and go through currency fair as I had a flight to catch two days later. I was on and off to their support for two days and nothing. They didn't have a clue of what the problem was. I also have a premium account.

Big fan of revolut but they let me down big time on that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Does the stamp duty apply to these now (or maybe it always did, I don't know). I withdraw cash so rarely but when I did today for the first time in months I got charged 100.12 for 100. Not that it matters, it's 12c, but just wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Does the stamp duty apply to these now (or maybe it always did, I don't know). I withdraw cash so rarely but when I did today for the first time in months I got charged 100.12 for 100. Not that it matters, it's 12c, but just wondering.

Yes, it does if you withdraw from your home country. You get charged 12c per transaction until it gets to €5 iirc. You can get around that by using a Curve card. Just add Revolut to Curve and you can withdraw up to €200 a day without incurring any charge as Revolut doesn't recognise it as an ATM withdrawal.

jakdublin wrote: »
    Yes, it does if you withdraw from your home country. You get charged 12c per transaction until it gets to €5 iirc. You can get around that by using a Curve card. Just add Revolut to Curve and you can withdraw up to €200 a day without incurring any charge as Revolut doesn't recognise it as an ATM withdrawal.

Cheers, makes sense anyway. It's probably not worth getting the curve card as I only withdraw about €300 a year max anyway and it would be another card to bother with (I've an N26 I still need to get rid of).

Cheers, makes sense anyway. It's probably not worth getting the curve card as I only withdraw about €300 a year max anyway and it would be another card to bother with (I've an N26 I still need to get rid of).

Yeah, probably not worth it in your case. Personally, Curve is great for me. I do all my daily spending/budgeting in Revolut and only carry a small amount of cash with me. When I need to spend the cash I withdraw from an ATM with Curve so it shows up in Revolut and keeps my budgeting on track. It also means I can withdraw €400 abroad per month (€200 from each card) instead of the €200 limit with Revolut.

jakdublin wrote: »
    Yeah, probably not worth it in your case. Personally, Curve is great for me. I do all my daily spending/budgeting in Revolut and only carry a small amount of cash with me. When I need to spend the cash I withdraw from an ATM with Curve so it shows up in Revolut and keeps my budgeting on track. It also means I can withdraw €400 abroad per month (€200 from each card) instead of the €200 limit with Revolut.

Sounds a good system if you do withdrawals regularly. Definitely worth bearing in mind if things ever change and I need to take out more, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭lau1247

General question:

I'm trying to buy something from UK via AddressPal. The seller would ship to a designated delivery address that is different to the billing address but only from second order onward. First order have to match billing address.

I see someone mentioned about adding a second address from a post long time ago but I don't see that option in the app.

I did a bit of search and to change address, it will have to be verified which I don't have anyway to do so from revolut side.

Is there any way around this short of getting family in the UK to help me buy?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Lads. To be sure to be sure few questions to ask.

When In another country always pay in that countries currency. E.g. when in the states always elect to pay in Dollars???

Sometimes here in Ireland if all I have is euros on my card, merchants ask me do I want to pay in euros or stg. I always say euros anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That's it exactly. The card is issued from the UK so some card terminals pick up on that. Just ignore it and pay in local currency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just put the Address Pal address as your billing address when you are making the order, few (if any) retailers verify that information.

Doesn't work for Halfords using Parcelmotel. Had 2 orders declined up to 24 hours after placing. Tossers. Saved myself 12 GBP as a result though, find the same item new on eBay after the second fail - wasn't there 48 hours prior. Chuffed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kenmc wrote: »
    Doesn't work for Halfords using Parcelmotel. Had 2 orders declined up to 24 hours after placing. Tossers. Saved myself 12 GBP as a result though, find the same item new on eBay after the second fail - wasn't there 48 hours prior. Chuffed!

We have Halfords here though....

listermint wrote: »
    We have Halfords here though....

Don't stock all the same things unfortunately. Or at least if they do, it wasn't listed on their website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

adam88 wrote: »
    Lads. To be sure to be sure few questions to ask.

When In another country always pay in that countries currency. E.g. when in the states always elect to pay in Dollars???

Sometimes here in Ireland if all I have is euros on my card, merchants ask me do I want to pay in euros or stg. I always say euros anyway

As others said, always decline and use local currency.

If that is on your revolut mastercard also report the shop to mastercard for breach of rules to stop this attempt to make you pay more.

Since April Mastercard has changes the rules so that DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) can no longer be offered to multi currency prepaid cards.

If it's the Visa, no such rules.

TheChizler wrote: »
    That's it exactly. The card is issued from the UK so some card terminals pick up on that. Just ignore it and pay in local currency.

Yeah, I got caught twice in the same Indian restaurant in Dublin with this. Didn't notice I'd been charged in stg until later. Last time I was in there I made sure to look at the terminal and got them to switch the currency to euro.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just put the Address Pal address as your billing address when you are making the order, few (if any) retailers verify that information.

Just tried, unfortunately the transaction has been declined by the seller's site stating details does not match. Even worse, the fund went through in Revolut :mad: I hope it automatically get refunded in 24 hours. Otherwise I have do a bit of chasing between the seller and Revolut :(

At least your one went through.

lau1247 wrote: »
    Just tried, unfortunately the transaction has been declined by the seller's site stating details does not match. Even worse, the fund went through in Revolut :mad: I hope it automatically get refunded in 24 hours. Otherwise I have do a bit of chasing between the seller and Revolut :(

The refund will come back but may take a couple of days
    Have you tried paying with revolut via payPal ?

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The refund will come back but may take a couple of days
    Have you tried paying with revolut via payPal ?

Luckily the fund came back by this afternoon. In the end I manage to get a family member to help out.

Out of interest how does the revolut via PayPal work? Does it allow PayPal to bypass the billing address? (I.e. I can set billing address to the UK for example?

Luckily the fund came back by this afternoon. In the end I manage to get a family member to help out.

Out of interest how does the revolut via PayPal work? Does it allow PayPal to bypass the billing address? (I.e. I can set billing address to the UK for example?

Just add the Revolut card to PayPal and then you can add whatever address you want to PayPal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Do REVOLUT automatically issue new cards when the old one is about to expire just like the banks?

adam88 wrote: »
    Do REVOLUT automatically issue new cards when the old one is about to expire just like the banks?

Yep

Huh? It went through in so far as I thought I'd purchased the item, but after several hours I got an email cancelling it, since my billing address didn't match. And no option for a non-uk billing address, nor the option to pay with PayPal

• Advertisement

Huh? It went through in so far as I thought I'd purchased the item, but after several hours I got an email cancelling it, since my billing address didn't match. And no option for a non-uk billing address, nor the option to pay with PayPal

Halfords accept PayPal last time I checked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement