Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Anybody try getting 'Cashback' in a shop with this card?

It's a credit card, not a debit card.

Retailers are charged a commission on all sales that are paid using a credit card. They will not give you cash back if it costs them the amount of their commission i.e. they give you €100 cashback, they will only get approx €98 from the bank due to the commission on credit cards.

With debit cards, the retailers are not charged a commission, so they get 100% of what you pay using your card. That's why they are happy to do cashback with debit cards - they get the full €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I am very interested in this card. I am on O2 money card, but I'm not happy about the new charges three had brought on.

I was wondering if there is a FAQ or something.

Has anybody made a switch from O2 money card?

How do you to up this card? Can you do that in a shop?

Can this card be used as a normal credit card? I.e. on commerce sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nondescriptuser

CyberGhost wrote: »
    I am very interested in this card. I am on O2 money card, but I'm not happy about the new charges three had brought on.

I was wondering if there is a FAQ or something.

Has anybody made a switch from O2 money card?

How do you to up this card? Can you do that in a shop?

Can this card be used as a normal credit card? I.e. on commerce sites?

revolut.com/faq

Top up via an existing debit card (almost instant) or via linking to your bank account (takes a reasonable number of days).

It can be used as a normal debit card on commerce sites, at atms, in stores....wherever mastercard is accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

lotmc wrote: »

With debit cards, the retailers are not charged a commission, so they get 100% of what you pay using your card. That's why they are happy to do cashback with debit cards - they get the full €100.

While they are not charged a commission charge on debit cards we do have to pay a fee to process debit card transactions too, only at a set amount regardless of amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Seems like a good service but I topped it up via my debit card on a recent trip to the UK, tried to then use it in an ATM over there...declined. Went onto the app and my account was blocked. Asked customer service who seemed quite snarky asking me why I topped it up just to withdraw straight away :confused: (to use their no fees currency conversion which is the whole point? :confused: )
    Back and forth eventually meant I had to send them photos to verify my account and all that...waste of time on the day and I was nowhere near the 1500 limit so may be worth looking into sorting sooner than that if you plan to use this!

Anyone else have a problem like the above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

They should insist on everybody verifying identity full stop as yes people are getting cards blocked and as mentioned above nowhere near the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

It is possible to verify using app,I think there is option for that in profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭glen25

I had problems verifying with the app too. Contacted them via chat support and they gave me an email address to send photos of my passport and me holding my passport. Wasn't so sure about sending these via unsecure email but did anyway. Was verified within a couple of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

A little off track here but i just bought an unlock code from ebay for 2.29 STG This equated to 3.25 Euros but I got hit with a paypal fee of 1 dollar (.94cent) also. I didn't even buy through paypal i just used the revolut card number and ticked the option to pay by credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭ongarite

That charge is to verify your card through PayPal.
    You should have a 4 digit code on the transaction in Revolut.
    Login into Paypal to verify your card and the 1 dollar will be returned to your account.

nope...don't see any 4 digit code beside the transaction in the app

i did what you said and i got hit with 2 seperate transactions, 1 dollar and 1 pound. hmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Just signed up , brilliant!
    Got a free £5 and paid a couple of bills online in dollars and euros :)
    Saved me £1.50 in fees within seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

Does anyone know how to send money from one user to another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Click send in the app and then find the persons phone number. There will be a Revolut R logo next to their name as long as they have an active account.

I'm not sure but I think they have to be logged into the account on their phone to be able to receive any money, as in if someone's phone is turned off then they can't receive any money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

11214 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to send money from one user to another?

You need their email or phone number associated with their account. Do you not see the send button on the apps home screen?

I have a US dollar account with AIB. Can I transfer dollars to my revolut app change it to euros and then into my AIB euro account? Will I have to pay a transfer fee? This seems like it will save me loads on converting my dollars to euros.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

i did what you said and i got hit with 2 seperate transactions, 1 dollar and 1 pound. hmmmmm
    Both of those charges will be applied back to your acc but it will take 10 days for you to get it. When I set my card up on paypal I got hit with these too.

MAXFANTANA wrote: »
    I have a US dollar account with AIB. Can I transfer dollars to my revolut app change it to euros and then into my AIB euro account? Will I have to pay a transfer fee? This seems like it will save me loads on converting my dollars to euros.
    I'm sure you can, but remember it takes a few days for transfers from back accounts to be applied to your revolut acc and likewise when you withdraw funds from your revolut acc back to your back acc can also take up to 3-4 days.

I normally top up via my visa debit card and if I need to then withdraw, I'll use an Atm rather than back to a bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

yes it will, no reason for it not to work.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Both of those charges will be applied back to your acc but it will take 10 days for you to get it. When I set my card up on paypal I got hit with these too.

thanks for that....loving the card so far. Thinking about ditching the old cc altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Speaking of Paypal, is the address matching a bit fiddly between Revolut and PP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

thanks for that....loving the card so far. Thinking about ditching the old cc altogether.

Not completely bad mouthing the card but I wouldn't ditch the credit card just yet.
    I put through 2 orders in Amazon yesterday. Before each order I put on the required euro amount and converted it to sterling.
    The first order was for £107 and that went through without issue.
    The 2nd was for £22.99 and shortly after placing the order amazon sent me a mail saying the payment was rejected.
    I logged on to the revolut app and it showed both Amazon payments pending.
    I decided to try the payment again on Amazon amd it failed again. This time I got a message from Revolut saying I had insufficient funds for the transaction.

I contacted Revolut support and to be fair they got back quite quickly and told me that I needed to sort it with Amazon and the money would come back into my account in 10 days if the payment wasn't taken by Amazon.
    I asked if I was to put in another £23 and try the order again would it work this time and I'd happily wait the 10 days as its a small amount. They advised me to use a different card to pay amazon???

Now as it was a small amount I'm not majorly stressing over this but if I was buying a laptop or something €500 to €1000 in value I wouldn't be so calm let alone if I had all my holiday spending money frozen for 10 days if a hotel messed up.

Again this may be just par for the course on prepaid cards but I definitely won't be cancelling the credit card any time soon.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

MAXFANTANA wrote: »

As far I I'm aware SEPA regulations (no fees over and above a regular domestic transfer) only apply to Euro transfers. Your dollar transfer to the Revolut bank account may attract significant extra fees. Best get charity on that from AIB first.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I can't see this mentioned already so apologies if it has been.

Can you top-up by any amount you want? I thinking of situations where you might have (for example) €0.54 left on the card and want to top up by €9.46 so you'll have an even €10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Minimum top up by card is €10, not sure about other methods

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

maximoose wrote: »
    Minimum top up by card is €10, not sure about other methods

Can you top up by €10.46?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭NU8

Can you top up by €10.46?

Yes. I've topped up with irregular amounts a few times. Once it's over €10 it'll work!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement