Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

jakdublin wrote: »
    You don’t need a MasterCard to use Revolut with Curve. Works fine for me with Visa.

It won't accept my Revolut Visa cards (says that prepaid cards are not accepted). Only Revolut MasterCard works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

TripleSSS wrote: »
    I cant seem to use my revolut with Ebay. Can any one help me with this? I have my revolut bank account linked with my paypal account but it wont allow my card to be displayed and keeps wanting to charge me in Eur rather than in GBP. It wont seem to allow me to link my card at all.

Your changes need to be made in PayPal, set it to pay in the sellers invoice currency otherwise it will default to Euro.
    https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/save-money-by-changing-paypal-currency-setting-for-invoices/

Quackster wrote: »
    What currency you set it to depends on whether you want Revolut or Curve to handle foreign currency transactions. If you want Revolut to handle FX, then you need to have the Curve card set to the local currency (so Euro when using it here but change it to GBP for sterling transactions etc).

Thanks, so in other words if I set it to euro when spending here it wil just come straight out of my Revolut euro balance as if I was using the Revolut card itself?

Also if I say use curve with my irish credit card abroad I’m guessing that it charges the card in euro so that could be beneficial as it avoids the transaction fees (if for some reason I wanted to use a credit card rather than Revolut).
    It won't accept my Revolut Visa cards (says that prepaid cards are not accepted). Only Revolut MasterCard works.

I added my Revolut visa last night no issue.

Thanks, so in other words if I set it to euro when spending here it wil just come straight out of my Revolut euro balance as if I was using the Revolut card itself?

Also if I say use curve with my irish credit card abroad I’m guessing that it charges the card in euro so that could be beneficial as it avoids the transaction fees (if for some reason I wanted to use a credit card rather than Revolut).
    That's it in a nutshell.
    I added my Revolut visa last night no issue.

Good to know. Must have changed since I tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Quick question for those that use curve, would you reccomend it? (sorry to go slightly off topic, doesnt appear to be much threads about it on here, and very little discussion in teh curve thread).

What are the advantages/Disadvantages of it?

very hard to get an honest review that isnt from an affiliate

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

hi

going to the states tomorrow for a fortnight
    have 3000€ in my account
    should I convert all or any of this to dollars & do i get penalised for withdrawals /purchases while I'm out there

thank you

dwasol wrote: »
    hi

have 3000€ in my account
    should I convert all or any of this to dollars & do i get penalised for withdrawals /purchases while I'm out there

thank you

ATM's out there may charge for withdrawals, pplus if you take out in exess of your allowance you may incure a charge from revolut also.

if youre going over a weekend change the dollars beforehand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Revolut visa on curve worked for me in lidl last week. I even got 'points' for using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

gwalk wrote: »
    Quick question for those that use curve, would you reccomend it? (sorry to go slightly off topic, doesnt appear to be much threads about it on here, and very little discussion in teh curve thread).

Thanks

Review of it here:
    https://youtu.be/Eii4TFzjAew

Dardania wrote: »

thats an affiliate review,

they offered him the premium service for free to say nice things about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

thats an affiliate review,

they offered him the premium service for free to say nice things about it

Fair point, but at least you can see what t looks like.

Thanks

I find it great. It's essentially like Goggle/Apple Pay, but with a physical card as the payment device rather than your phone.

The big advantage over Google/Apple Pay is that individual card issuers don't have to sign up for the service so all your debit/credit cards should work. This is a particular benefit to me as one of my main current accounts is with EBS which isn't supported by Google Pay.

Another advantage over Google/Apple Pay is that Curve will auto-convert FX transactions to euro at no fee before passing these transactions on to your debit/credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

For anybody having trouble adding their VISA Revolut card to Paypal, after a few attempts I got it working.

When I initially tried Paypal kept rejecting my address as invalid, even the saved address that I had been previously using with my now expired Revolut Mastercard.

Steps:

1) In the Revolut app go More > Profile > Personal Details.

That is the exact address you need to enter in Paypal

2) On Paypal site go Wallet > Link a credit card

Under billing address click the down arrow then add new address.

Paypal will take you to add an address.

For me it was a case of:

Townland
    Eircode (In address line 2)
    Town
    County
    IE (for postcode as that is what's in my Revolut)

This worked for me. Hopefully it does for others too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

I find it great. It's essentially like Goggle/Apple Pay, but with a physical card as the payment device rather than your phone.

The big advantage over Google/Apple Pay is that individual card issuers don't have to sign up for the service so all your debit/credit cards should work. This is a particular benefit to me as one of my main current accounts is with EBS which isn't supported by Google Pay.

Another advantage over Google/Apple Pay is that Curve will auto-convert FX transactions to euro at no fee before passing these transactions on to your debit/credit card.

I have one but I never use it simply because they don't offer Apple Pay on it. I am used to using my phone to pay for things and this seems a step backwards. Once they offer it I would be happy to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Thanks

For me, the main reason I have it is that it allows me to double the Revolout ATM withdrawal allowance abroad. I can withdraw €200 from the Revolut card directly and another €200 from my Revolut account through Curve. You can also use Curve to make Revolut ATM withdrawals in Ireland without having to pay the €5 Government levy. Came in handy recently too as I needed to withdraw €800 in cash and so used Curve to exceed the daily withdrawal limit on my regular bank card. Kind of useful to have all your cards on the one account as well I suppose.

I will start a thread on curve later if I get a chance as no point dragging this thread off topic and I have questions myself on curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I will start a thread on curve later if I get a chance as no point dragging this thread off topic and I have questions myself on curve.

Good idea, but anything I've seen online on Curve ends up getting spammed by referrals as you get £5 for every user you sign up and they get £5 too. For me, they're very much related as I wouldn't use Curve without Revolut, although they are different services. There wouldn't be anywhere near the takeup on Curve compared to Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

dwasol wrote: »
    hi

have 3000€ in my account

thank you

So you can topup your REVOLUT and transfer over your euros to dollars or you can just leave it in euros and REVOLUT will do the exchanging everytime you make a transaction. During the weekend REVOLUT charge a small mark up over the interbank rate to cover themselves fluctuations. I know it defeats the purpose but maybe buy 200 dollars here in Ireland before you go to cover for tipping cab drivers and porters when you land. You can withdraw up to 200 dollars without any REVOLUT fees but you may have to pay a charge to the atm that you use. New York is nearly all cards nowadays so you’ll only really need cash for tipping.

Also remember when your purchasing stuff, that when your asked do you wish to pay in euros or dollars always select the home currency of the country your in, in your case it will be dollars.

Have a great trip.

Also. One last bit of advice, don’t transfer all your euros to your REVOLUT. If REVOLUT goes down or you lose your REVOLUT care your in trouble. Maybe transfer it over in pieces. 500 a go and when funds run low transfer more over again. Loads of WiFi in nyc so won’t be a problem. Just make sure to have a spare card I.e. your normal bank debit or credit card Incase REVOLUT acts up while your over there

Just tried to use Revolut through PayPal for the first time and noticed it was charging me in gbp no doubt going to apply a crap PayPal exchange rate to convert to euro for the transaction. I hadn’t time to mess around with it and just switched to my credit card on PayPal instead but for future reference is it possible to set it as a euro card on paypal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Just tried to use Revolut through PayPal for the first time and noticed it was charging me in gbp no doubt going to apply a crap PayPal exchange rate to convert to euro for the transaction. I hadn’t time to mess around with it and just switched to my credit card on PayPal instead but for future reference is it possible to set it as a euro card on paypal?

Might be a stupid question but did it not give you the option to pay euro.?

It is always best to convert money on the account to GBP to pay in GBP. IMO

• Advertisement

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Might be a stupid question but did it not give you the option to pay euro.?

It is always best to convert money on the account to GBP to pay in GBP. IMO

I was paying in euro and was paying some from my PayPal balance and the rest needed to come off a card. The Revolut portion was showing in sterling and as I didn’t see any obvious way to change that so just switched to the credit card as I hadn’t time to mess around with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

There is an excellent post earlier back in this thread that explains how to do it . It is hidden away deep in your PayPal settings. If you scroll back you should find the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/save-money-by-changing-paypal-currency-setting-for-invoices/

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

jakdublin wrote: »
    For me, the main reason I have it is that it allows me to double the Revolout ATM withdrawal allowance abroad. I can withdraw €200 from the Revolut card directly and another €200 from my Revolut account through Curve. You can also use Curve to make Revolut ATM withdrawals in Ireland without having to pay the €5 Government levy. Came in handy recently too as I needed to withdraw €800 in cash and so used Curve to exceed the daily withdrawal limit on my regular bank card. Kind of useful to have all your cards on the one account as well I suppose.

If avoiding the 12 cent Irish ATM duty works for Revolut via Curve it should work for all other debit cards??

Delta2113 wrote: »
    If avoiding the 12 cent Irish ATM duty works for Revolut via Curve it should work for all other debit cards??

It works in so far as right now they don't charge 12c each time you make an ATM withdrawal. But I wouldn't be relying on that as they are legally obliged to charge the stamp duty and I'm sure Revenue will be on their case sooner or later if they don't comply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

So had a weird issue today, wondering if anyone else has come across it.

Paid for something in Spar via Apple Pay/Apple Watch. Transaction went through fine, got the receipts etc.
    When I look at the App later today, the transaction shows as failed "Your payment was declined. Please contact support for more details"

Went back to the Spar and the guy was, as long as you got a receipt you should be okay. Any idea ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Paid for something in Spar via Apple Pay/Apple Watch. Transaction went through fine, got the receipts etc. When I look at the App later today, the transaction shows as failed "Your payment was declined. Please contact support for more details"

I've had that before in tesco. Came out again a few days later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

I've had that before in tesco. Came out again a few days later

Cool.. So must be an issue on Revoult side rather than Spar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Cool.. So must be an issue on Revoult side rather than Spar

This happens to me quite frequently on my Mastercard.

Usually in a couple of days I get charged again but in some cases the transaction is never done again.

Retailers tell me not to worry, they got their money.

This is the one thing next to suddenly reverted transactions that I do not like with Revolut. I am now having a rather large amount in a vault for when all of these transactions finally clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I’ve a couple of questions having had a virtual card and account for around a year:

I registered with my driving license as ID which worked fine. We had the whole “update your identity” thing with a passport when Brexit was nearly upon us but that was supposed to have abated and was said so by Revolut themselves. However every time I log in I’m told I need to update my ID e from skipping it and going into my menus. Is this still a thing that needs to be done? It’s pretty irritating.

Next, I want to transfer around £5k sterling to a relatives account in the U.K. and am considering trying Revolut for this as a cheap option. Is this possible and prudent? Good exchange rate, little or no extra charges? My other options are either from the likes of a BOI account or PayPal which I think will cost me more.
    Also if Revolut is my best option, when I add the funds to my account should I “buy” the sterling first on my account and then transfer, as the easiest option?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement