Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

adox wrote: »
    I’ve a couple of questions having had a virtual card and account for around a year:

I registered with my driving license as ID which worked fine. We had the whole “update your identity” thing with a passport when Brexit was nearly upon us but that was supposed to have abated and was said so by Revolut themselves. However every time I log in I’m told I need to update my ID e from skipping it and going into my menus. Is this still a thing that needs to be done? It’s pretty irritating.

Next, I want to transfer around £5k sterling to a relatives account in the U.K. and am considering trying Revolut for this as a cheap option. Is this possible and prudent? Good exchange rate, little or no extra charges? My other options are either from the likes of a BOI account or PayPal which I think will cost me more.
    Also if Revolut is my best option, when I add the funds to my account should I “buy” the sterling first on my account and then transfer, as the easiest option?

the passport thing is a mystery to me tbh.

i have found sending funds to the uk using revolut the cheapest and fastest option, just top up your account with the amount in euros and send it as gbp to the person you want to receive the funds and it is almost instant, no need to buy the gbp unless you plan on sending it at the weekend.

you should be able to get a rough idea of how much euro you will need by using the euro to gbp convertor

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

OmegaGene wrote: »
    the passport thing is a mystery to me tbh.

i have found sending funds to the uk using revolut the cheapest and fastest option, just top up your account with the amount in euros and send it as gbp to the person you want to receive the funds and it is almost instant, no need to buy the gbp unless you plan on sending it at the weekend.

you should be able to get a rough idea of how much euro you will need by using the euro to gbp convertor

Cheers for that. Appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys,

I need to receive a payment in USD from somebody in America.

I'm not sure how he is going to send the money but he told me that an IBAN is no good and that he needs a sort code and a 8 digit account number.

When I click into my USD account in Revolut there used to be a USD account number in there but now it just shows the IBAN.

How can I receive a USD payment via revolut?

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

Guys,

I'm not sure how he is going to send the money but he told me that an IBAN is no good and that he needs a sort code and a 8 digit account number.

When I click into my USD account in Revolut there used to be a USD account number in there but now it just shows the IBAN.

Thanks guys

There may be a way of doing it in Revolut but you can definitely do it with CurrencyFair. Have used them lots over the last few years for larger FX transactions and can't fault them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Guys,

Thanks guys

The sender needs to do it as international wire transfer to your IBAN.

That is both expensive and with some US banks also paper based. Depends om their bank.

What he is after is a US domestic account info which revolut does not offer.

TransferWise has a borderless account which offers that or they need to use a 3rd party solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭suave.4u

adam88 wrote: »
    So you can topup your REVOLUT and transfer over your euros to dollars or you can just leave it in euros and REVOLUT will do the exchanging everytime you make a transaction. During the weekend REVOLUT charge a small mark up over the interbank rate to cover themselves fluctuations. I know it defeats the purpose but maybe buy 200 dollars here in Ireland before you go to cover for tipping cab drivers and porters when you land. You can withdraw up to 200 dollars without any REVOLUT fees but you may have to pay a charge to the atm that you use. New York is nearly all cards nowadays so you’ll only really need cash for tipping.

Also remember when your purchasing stuff, that when your asked do you wish to pay in euros or dollars always select the home currency of the country your in, in your case it will be dollars.

Have a great trip.

Also. One last bit of advice, don’t transfer all your euros to your REVOLUT. If REVOLUT goes down or you lose your REVOLUT care your in trouble. Maybe transfer it over in pieces. 500 a go and when funds run low transfer more over again. Loads of WiFi in nyc so won’t be a problem. Just make sure to have a spare card I.e. your normal bank debit or credit card Incase REVOLUT acts up while your over there

I am in the same position. Which is the best place to exchange eur 200 to dollars in Dublin? An post?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

I need to upload a chunky amount to my Revolut card. Over 1k.

I currently use GPay to deposit, and it won't accept €400 deposit.

For bank transfers, the IBAN starts with GB.

So, I select;
    International Transfer
    UK - Country
    Euro - Deposit Currency
    Amount

The Haven wrote: »
    I need to upload a chunky amount to my Revolut card. Over 1k.

I currently use GPay to deposit, and it won't accept €400 deposit.

So, I select;
    International Transfer
    UK - Country
    Euro - Deposit Currency
    Amount

Why won’t it accept €400 deposit?

Says I'm over the daily limit.
    Not a problem with the card I'm using.
    Had this Revolut account for a few months.
    Only deposited €200 usually.

A shame, my computer upgrade will cost around £1600, onto the bank cc, for the extra currency charge and 1.50 fee - pfff
    The main reason for getting this card - to stop those charges for non euro transactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Why won’t it accept €400 deposit?

I was going to America so i tried to load €1500 in one lodgement, it kept declining it. I was getting freaked as I was in Dublin Airport, then I tried €500 and it credited my revolut so then I just credited my account another 2 times and got it up to the €1500 before my flight took off. So try lowering the value you are crediting your revolut with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I’ve never had a problem topping up Revolut by any amount, I added several thousand on Thursday

The internet isn’t for everyone

Says I'm over my 24 hour card top up limit.
    The max I can deposit is €200.

Says I'm over my 24 hour card top up limit.
    The max I can deposit is €200.

I think the issue here is that you are loading via Google pay.

Have you tried to use your Irish Debit card directly?

Yeah.

I uploaded my debit card directly.

Same problem.

I might have to contact them, to increase my limits.
    Just on a normal account.

So, I select;
    International Transfer
    UK - Country
    Euro - Deposit Currency
    Amount

Yes that should work. As long as your currency is euro and you choose sepa your bank can not charge you more than than they do for a domestic transaction.

Revolut than will put that money into your € wallet.

Yeah.

I uploaded my debit card directly.

Same problem.

I might have to contact them, to increase my limits.
    Just on a normal account.

These new AI driven limits are sometimes very strange.

Best to contact them or try bank transfer to load but if you so low limits they might hold that too.

This is getting annoying for me.

Just deposited 2x €200 directly from my card.

I need a min of €1200 on the card atm, 600 on it now.
    Bit by bit in €200 steps.

Now it is saying again 24 hour limit.

Weird bug, working, not working, working.

---

I could try bank transfer, but 2-3 days, and the computer upgrade is into the following week.
    With Ryzen 3000 and NAVI released today, NVidia Super on Tuesday, I'd like all components before the weekend.

Yeah I just tried to load €1000 first via Google pay and then through my boi visa card and both times says I'm over the daily limit and to try smaller amount.

Pita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Inusually do it by bank transfer from my account to the euro account with the GB Iban and it arrives in hours (mon-friday, Saturday one didnt credit until monday once, done with KBC)

gwalk wrote: »
    Inusually do it by bank transfer from my account to the euro account with the GB Iban and it arrives in hours (mon-friday, Saturday one didnt credit until monday once, done with KBC)

You mean you set up your revolut with another bank account and do the transfer from that account to Revolut?

• Advertisement

I am on to customer service and they are basically saying that card limits are different for everybody so they don’t know what mine is, can’t increase it and advise doing a bank transfer!

Poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Says I'm over the daily limit.
    Not a problem with the card I'm using.
    Had this Revolut account for a few months.
    Only deposited €200 usually.

A shame, my computer upgrade will cost around £1600, onto the bank cc, for the extra currency charge and 1.50 fee - pfff
    The main reason for getting this card - to stop those charges for non euro transactions.

Are you saying you paid 1600 GBP and are complaining about a €1.50 charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

You mean you set up your revolut with another bank account and do the transfer from that account to Revolut?

yes i set up my revolut account as a payee on another account and transfer in

Yeah I just tried to load €1000 first via Google pay and then through my boi visa card and both times says I'm over the daily limit and to try smaller amount.

Pita.

Giving that Boi says they have no limit on card spending money (well it seems to be 25000) this must be revolut enforced limit.

Giving that Boi says they have no limit on card spending money (well it seems to be 25000) this must be revolut enforced limit.

Yeah its definitely a Revolut limit, confirmed by their customer service. They basically said that card limits vary from person to person and because of this she couldnt see what my limit is or increase it.
    She told me a bank transfer had no limits and if I wanted my limit to increase to use the card more!

Mr.S wrote: »
    Verify your source of funds and the limits are greatly extended (removed?) - I never have an issue with them anymore.

How do you do that?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Pita.

Had a similar experience on Saturday. The amount was a good bit bigger than usual though.

Had a similar experience on Saturday. The amount was a good bit bigger than usual though.

My 24 hour limit seems to be €200! i transferred €100 last night and tried to transfer €200 this morning and am still getting the "over 24 hour daily limit" message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

How do you do that?

https://blog.revolut.com/what-is-source-of-funds-and-how-does-it-affect-me/

I don't think this is still an option, though. If you go into the app, and navigate More > Help > Profile, there's a topic titled 'Are there any deposit limits?" which explains the current situation, and it is very similar with what has been posted above: limits will increase over time, as you use the service.

I know I did the source of funds validation, sending photos of a letter of employment from my company, and a recent payslip. But that was ~4 years ago.

• Advertisement

JoyPad wrote: »
    https://blog.revolut.com/what-is-source-of-funds-and-how-does-it-affect-me/

I don't think this is still an option, though. If you go into the app, and navigate More > Help > Profile, there's a topic titled 'Are there any deposit limits?" which explains the current situation, and it is very similar with what has been posted above: limits will increase over time, as you use the service.

I know I did the source of funds validation, sending photos of a letter of employment from my company, and a recent payslip. But that was ~4 years ago.

Thanks. I have the card nearly two years so having a paltry €200 limit is poor, really poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement