Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Revolut charges 0.5% for over 5000£ while BOI charges 2% of transaction value with Maximum €11.43 .per transaction.

So there is a point in which even with a better rate BOI might be cheaper.

Thanks. I never knew that and it’s good to know. I’ll be doing a transfer of £5000 to the UK next week so will stagger it into two payments just in case to avoid fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

adox wrote: »
    Thanks. I never knew that and it’s good to know. I’ll be doing a transfer of £5000 to the UK next week so will stagger it into two payments just in case to avoid fees.

Revolut charge 0.5% after EUR 6,000 foreign exchange in a month, so unless you can make your 2 payments span 2 separate months it won’t make a difference. See Profile > Price Plan in the app.

Edit: You should be okay with 1 payment if you haven’t done much other foreign exchange this month. Plus it is the amount above EUR 6k you pay the fee on, not the full transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I have to transfer 1500 to an account in Asia, which would be cheaper? Revolut or transfermate? Or would it be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

I have to transfer 1500 to an account in Asia, which would be cheaper? Revolut or transfermate? Or would it be the same?

You'd have to look at the exchange rate both are offering and any transfer fees Transfermate charge.

How does the exchange rate they give you compare?

An Post are ‘commission free’ but the exchange rate they provide factors in their profit.

Visa sets the exchange rate so the rates will pretty good, probably just slightly worse than Revolut. Nothing like the rubbish rates you get from the bank. You can check the rates on visa’s website (same for MasterCard).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads when using my Revolut card to buy from Amazon UK, should I set the card currency to Euro or Sterling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

always pay in the host currency, in Amazon.co.uk's case that's Sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Has anyone who was due to receive the pride card on the 12th still not got it? Thought it might be a day late but postman has been and gone today without it too. Don't mind waiting just hope it's not lost/they ran out and aren't saying it. Seem to remember other cards being timely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Has anyone who was due to receive the pride card on the 12th still not got it? Thought it might be a day late but postman has been and gone today without it too. Don't mind waiting just hope it's not lost/they ran out and aren't saying it. Seem to remember other cards being timely.

They say to allow up until the 16th of July in-app. Contact them if it's not delivered by then.

I was also told the 12th but haven't got it yet although my post arrives after I've left for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Same here - I've frozen the card in the app, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Mastercard ID Check (aka 3-D® Secure ) seems to be live now.

On my virtual MasterCard (not the new RevP) I just got prompted online to validate the transaction in the app.

The app displayed a "please confirm your transaction" and gave me 5 minuntes for it.

Once confirmed payment went through.

Nice addition, they said it's going to be on RevP first but looks like it's now for standard Mastercards too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

They say to allow up until the 16th of July in-app. Contact them if it's not delivered by then.

I was also told the 12th but haven't got it yet although my post arrives after I've left for work.

3 of us ordered Pride cards but we all got regular cards in the post this morning. Our apps are showing the usual card, and to the right of that it’s showing the pride card with an option to say not received and to the right of that is another regular card and that matches the one that came in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭budhabob

3 of us ordered Pride cards but we all got regular cards in the post this morning. Our apps are showing the usual card, and to the right of that it’s showing the pride card with an option to say not received and to the right of that is another regular card and that matches the one that came in the post.

Ah balls, Hope its the pride one we get as that's the only reason we ordered it to be fair. Still awaiting arrival of the card....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

That is than the RevP beta card. If you got it today (possibly via DHL) and it is starting with 54240246 than it's the RevP not the Pride card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

That is than the RevP beta card. If you got it today (possibly via DHL) and it is starting with 54240246 than it's the RevP not the Pride card.

This. The beta cards were sent by DHL so they will get there quicker. The rainbow ones are by normal post, unless you have a premium account.

Looks like everyone, including myself, has forgotten that they applied for the beta card. :p

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

My RevP beta card arrived via DHL this morning, personally I’ve zero interest in getting a pride card, most of the time I just use Apple Pay now so my card is rarely out of my wallet.

It’s just a shame that they don’t allow contactless payments for a higher rate. In Holland last week I was able to use Apple Pay and contactless for every transaction regardless of the cost, once it exceeded the contactless amount I was just prompted to enter my pin, which is the way it should be imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Mr.S wrote: »
    That’s how it’s done with Revolut & Apple Pay no?

There isn't a transaction limit with Apple Pay so you can use it for purchases over €30 without a PIN.

Problem is many retailers just think of the €30 limit and say sorry you need to insert the card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

jakdublin wrote: »
    There isn't a transaction limit with Apple Pay so you can use it for purchases over €30 without a PIN.

Yes and no limit for Google pay either. The limit is set by the banks

Now I just tried a transaction in Dunnes there this second for €65 with ApplePay and it went through without a pin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Problem is many retailers just think of the €30 limit and say sorry you need to insert the card

Don't ask, just say card and then touch your phone. I do it all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I didn't receive the pride card yet, hoping it arrives soon. Did get the other card though.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Hi just looking for advice for my younger sister. She is in spain and made a purchase in a shop this morning. As she was leaving just outside the shop she said a man approached her and attempted to block her while a second man grabbed her purse from her handbag and ran off. Her AIB and revolut card were stolen. The aib was tapped twice she got through to them and canceled card. Her revolut card was used about 3 minutes later on an ATM for 400euro. She said she had stopped the card as quickly as possible on the App but was pretty shaken and flustered so that process could prob took a few minutes.
    I would say one of the men watched her use the revolut card in the shop.
    She has spoken with spanish police and given details to them but not sure what help they can be as she will be coming home in 2 days
    Can revolut do anything? I know they cant stop the payment as the money will already have came out of ATM

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hi just looking for advice for my younger sister. She is in spain and made a purchase in a shop this morning. As she was leaving just outside the shop she said a man approached her and attempted to block her while a second man grabbed her purse from her handbag and ran off. Her AIB and revolut card were stolen. The aib was tapped twice she got through to them and canceled card. Her revolut card was used about 3 minutes later on an ATM for 400euro. She said she had stopped the card as quickly as possible on the App but was pretty shaken and flustered so that process could prob took a few minutes.
    I would say one of the men watched her use the revolut card in the shop.
    She has spoken with spanish police and given details to them but not sure what help they can be as she will be coming home in 2 days
    Can revolut do anything? I know they cant stop the payment as the money will already have came out of ATM

Thanks

Afraid you might be sh1t out of luck here jeff,

If the scum gets your pin code and they are able to get the money from the atm with the card, then some fraud teams look at it in away of you giving the pin to a friend to take out the money and then declaring it as a robbery when yous got away with the money.

Now this may have been on a BOI or AIB query i seen on boards but revolut may have a different scenario of looking at it.

Hope you get some good news and Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Nothing to add to other posts but hope sister is OK and not too shaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Cheers for the replies, thought as much to be honest. Sickening scum are making a living off this type of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Sorry to hear of your sister's experience Jeff - horrible for her. Not much use or comfort after the fact, but might be worth it for her and others to disable ATM withdrawal as an extra security measure, especially abroad. It's quick enough to re-enable it if and when you need it.

I'm assuming they must have shoulder surfed to get her pin code at the till?

I hope you get some redress from Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of your sister's experience Jeff - horrible for her. Not much use or comfort after the fact, but might be worth it for her and others to disable ATM withdrawal as an extra security measure, especially abroad. It's quick enough to re-enable it if and when you need it.

This. Not much use now for your sister, but I always have ATM turned off as I hardly ever withdraw money. Takes seconds to turn back on. I also have a monthly limit set on my active card . Tend to just keep it at my current spend +€40ish. If I'm going to buy something I'll up it.

Very handy having so many security settings at our finger tips. May help someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭budhabob

RoYoBo wrote: »

Never considered this, but after Jeffs post i now have turned off ATM withdrawals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

budhabob wrote:
    Never considered this, but after Jeffs post i now have turned off ATM withdrawals.

Just seen this myself and have also deactivated ATM withdrawals. Thanks for the tip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement