Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,006 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Does anyone here have Premium or Metal?

Is it worth it? I'm looking through the extra features and trying to figure out what it is that people feel is worth paying for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

awec wrote: »
    Does anyone here have Premium or Metal?

Is it worth it? I'm looking through the extra features and trying to figure out what it is that people feel is worth paying for?
    I have Metal and don’t think it’s worth it, one of the main benefits for me was the 1% cash back which turned out to be 1% outside Europe, and 0.1% in Europe which amounts to a few cent each week.

I got a free year but I don’t see any reason why it’s worth paying for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was in live chat about rainbow card....they said there are delays...but fingers crossed should be here by end of the week apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

rushfan wrote: »
    Just seen this myself and have also deactivated ATM withdrawals. Thanks for the tip.
    Same here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭_Godot_

gmisk wrote: »
    I was in live chat about rainbow card....they said there are delays...but fingers crossed should be here by end of the week apparently.

I hope so!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

What's the rainbow card? the pride ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

adox wrote: »
    I recently did a transfer to the UK and it took 2 days to arrive.

Just an update on this. I sent a much larger amount to the same(around 5k) to the same recipient yesterday and he had it within a couple of hours.
    So I think the first one was a hold up by Revolut. They had it pending transfer for a day and then eventually sent it the following afternoon. it was my first transfer to a UK account so maybe some checks or whatever done first time.

Yesterday it told me nearly instantly that the money had been transferred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

still no rainbow card delivery for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Not for me either, but I got an app notification to say it was on its way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Not for me either, but I got an app notification to say it was on its way.

Same here, on Monday I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Trying to link my Revolut card to Paypal but it keeps saying address is invalid. Have tried entering it in different combinations but no luck.

Has this ever happened anyone? I haven't tried link the Revolut bank account or anything, just the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Fairly common issue, if you search the thread you'll see some possible solutions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Corholio wrote: »
    Trying to link my Revolut card to Paypal but it keeps saying address is invalid. Have tried entering it in different combinations but no luck.

Has this ever happened anyone? I haven't tried link the Revolut bank account or anything, just the card.

Happened me last week, go back in to revolut and maybe refresh your address, worked for me then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Corholio wrote: »

Have my card and account linked to mine, didnt have any problems

Is the address the same on both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Why do people use Revolut cards abroad when the savings are quite minimal? For example my bank charges 1.5pc in fx fees. If I spend 500 on a weekend away. That's 8 euro. Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Why do people use Revolut cards abroad when the savings are quite minimal? For example my bank charges 1.5pc in fx fees. If I spend 500 on a weekend away. That's 8 euro. Or am I missing something?

For one you can have a few cards on the account, if one goes missing then just block it in app and use another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

What exchange rate do they give you? Bet it's higher than the exchange rate on the day and costing you more than that. I mostly use mine on Amazon to pay in sterling as my bank screws me if I pay in sterling and Amazon screw me if I pay in Euro

What exchange rate do they give you? Bet it's higher than the exchange rate on the day and costing you more than that. I mostly use mine on Amazon to pay in sterling as my bank screws me if I pay in sterling and Amazon screw me if I pay in Euro

1.5pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

1.5pc
    That's the fee on top of the inflated exchange rate isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Probably been gone over a few times but I got a Curve card and it wouldn't activate with just Revolut card there.
    I added my Irish bank card and selected that for transactions and it activated fine.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    That's the fee on top of the inflated exchange rate isn't it?

No just 1.5pc FX on transactions it says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No just 1.5pc FX on transactions it says.
    Yes but the exchange rate the bank offer you will very likely be worse than the interbank rate Revolut give you. For example what's the EUR to GBP rate your bank are offering today?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Yes but the exchange rate the bank offer you will very likely be worse than the interbank rate Revolut give you. For example what's the EUR to GBP rate your bank are offering today?

Revolut are actually charging a higher fee than visa... doesn't make any sense to use it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

But the exchange rate is worse

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

I'm looking at Ulster Banks site now. For a Euro theyll give me £0.8811and add on whatever fee (on my last transaction of €829 they charged me €17 so it seems like its more than 1.5% but we'll assume that as I'm not sure the exact figure. )
    Revolut will give me £0.9035 and no fee up to €5000 in cc transactions

So for a grand now you'll get £881.1 and pay €15 with the bank.
    Or you'll get £903.5 and pay no fee with Revolut.

Even if the rates were identical 1.5% saving would be worth it for me.

After €5000 the Revolut fee is 0.5%. I don't spend that a month. Your bank probably has a maximum charge so if you get into huge numbers it might be cheaper with them.

I started using Revolut in Thailand a couple of years ago.
    To withdraw 10200 THB in revolut was €259.02 from the statement.
    The same in Ulster Bank debit a few days later was €269.95 from the UB statement.
    Its not huge money but a tenner is better in my pocket than the banks.

Over a year I'd save a couple of hundred quid with travel and foreign shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Revolut are actually charging a higher fee than visa... doesn't make any sense to use it so.

You're right and everyone else is wrong then.

I don't think you understand how fx works tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

The fx fee is a diversion, the real ripoff is the lousy exchange rate the bank is giving you.
    Revolut is giving you one of the best rates available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you spend 500 £ today than your bank will charge you an exchange rate that is set the day before and stays where it is independent of any changes.

So look at yesterday for example.

In this case you have to pay 564.43 € including the 1.5% fee (according to the offical visa exchange rate)

Revolut charges you the rate at the time the transaction is authorized (so you know what you pay) so depending on when you paid you could have paid between 552.75 € and 554.36 € for it.

That means you could have saved at least 10.07€ and up to 11.68€ (1.7% to 2.06%).

That shows you that it's not just the 1.5% but also additional cost due to the exchange rate used by your bank.

And while you might not appreciate 10 to 11 € more in your pocket, I rather buy myself something for that money than give it to a bank !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Pride card just came.

Send in a small envelope from Germany, no posting date on it.

Hope others arrive soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Just about to post that mine arrived too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement