Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Cheers for the replies, thought as much to be honest. Sickening scum are making a living off this type of stuff

Any update on how you got on with revolut jeff if any??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭testtech05

Anybody using the Revolut phone insurance, who could share any feedback? Got a new pretty expensive phone so am looking into options.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I assume they are, what impact does it have if you are. Surely it shouldnt matter as a Revolut used who you are related to or if you are a politician or famous person yourself even.

Banks are obliged to perform enhanced due diligence on politically exposed persons such as TDs and senators. This extends to their family members.

Essentially, they need to be sure your account isn't being used to faciliate bribes or embezzle public funds through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Brits being advised to buy their holiday euros as sterling expected to crash today once BJ is anointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Brits being advised to buy their holiday euros as sterling expected to crash today once BJ is anointed

I'd imagine BJ's arrival has already been priced into it.

• Advertisement

testtech05 wrote: »
    Anybody using the Revolut phone insurance, who could share any feedback? Got a new pretty expensive phone so am looking into options.

Lack of loss/theft is a big downside, it’s the main reason I have insurance.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

My Metal card is at home, woohoo

updated the app, and now i have the option to order another metal card, this time i went for gold metal! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

eeloe wrote: »
    My Metal card is at home, woohoo

updated the app, and now i have the option to order another metal card, this time i went for gold metal! :D

The gold is disappointing and not really gold. The black is much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manatoo

Hi, I just got a Revolut account this week. I see lots of people posting about how long it takes for cash to arrive in their Revolut accounts when they make transfers from their regular Irish accounts. I've just been using my credit card which means it's instant. Am I missing something?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

manatoo wrote: »
    Hi, I just got a Revolut account this week. I see lots of people posting about how long it takes for cash to arrive in their Revolut accounts when they make transfers from their regular Irish accounts. I've just been using my credit card which means it's instant. Am I missing something?

Cheers

You are probably being charge a cash advance fee on your credit card?
    You can use debit card to add funds which is instant also but will have a lower limit as versus bank transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Davy wrote: »
    You are probably being charge a cash advance fee on your credit card?
    You can use debit card to add funds which is instant also but will have a lower limit as versus bank transfer.
    The card top up just goes through as a regular debit no? Unless something has changed very recently

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

manatoo wrote: »

Cheers

I use my debit card. Tops up in a minute and no fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Mr.S wrote: »
    No charge if you top up via credit card, cash advance fee is just for ATM's.

That is a very dangerous statement as several companies classify more than ATM as cash.

However in line with the reports here it looks like that the credit card loading is at present not attracting the ash advance fees..

Example:
    cash transaction – any transaction resulting in the provision of cash or a cash substitute from your account by using a card or card number issued under your
    account, including foreign currency, traveller’s cheques, postal orders, gambling transactions and any electronic transfers of cash which are not money transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

I topup using Google Pay which takes the money from my credit card and is instant.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Davy wrote: »
    The gold is disappointing and not really gold. The black is much nicer.

Did you get it already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Where is that copy / pasted from? My Irish CC (AIB) doesn’t treat online gambling sites as a cash advance fee. Fair enough if you order currency and cheques though :pac: common sense prevails though ;)
    An post credit card does, it's an avant card so perhaps all avant cards consider gambling as a cash advance.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Where is that copy / pasted from? My Irish CC (AIB) doesn’t treat online gambling sites as a cash advance fee. Fair enough if you order currency and cheques though :pac: common sense prevails though ;)

Avant Card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

For some reason i cant top up my lotto account with Revolut, is this standard?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

acalmenvoy wrote: »

I believe so. From reading the thread I think lottoland works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lottery.ie doesn't like you using non-iris cards which Revolut cards are.

• Advertisement

acalmenvoy wrote: »

Lotto requires a card that is coded as Irish. There are some Revolut Premium mastercards that work.

How this is not against rules is not known to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Lotto requires a card that is coded as Irish. There are some Revolut Premium mastercards that work.

How this is not against rules is not known to me.

You can only play lotto, if you're an irish resident (well, meant to be). So I guess they're restricting it that way.

You can always buy your ticket in the nearest shop/fuel station.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

lottery.ie doesn't like you using non-iris cards which Revolut cards are.
    Bugger, now i have to wait a month to change my card on lotto :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Gooser14

acalmenvoy wrote:

Yes. Lotto will only accept payment from cards issued in Ireland. The Revolut card is GB issued.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Marlow wrote: »
    You can only play lotto, if you're an irish resident (well, meant to be). So I guess they're restricting it that way.

You can always buy your ticket in the nearest shop/fuel station.

/M

Bus Éireann website has the same restriction. Cos obviously Bus Éireann is only for Irish residents too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭granty1892

apologies if this has been asked already but going to Bulgaria in two weeks would it be cheaper to withdraw money from my revolut over there for cash every day or would it be cheaper to bring cash and go to the local currency exchange. As its in Sterling im totally confused as i fell for the trap of withdrawing cash over here

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

granty1892 wrote: »
    apologies if this has been asked already but going to Bulgaria in two weeks would it be cheaper to withdraw money from my revolut over there for cash every day or would it be cheaper to bring cash and go to the local currency exchange. As its in Sterling im totally confused as i fell for the trap of withdrawing cash over here

I was in Bulgaria in March. I didn't bother withdrawing Levs. I just tapped my Revolut card everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

granty1892 wrote: »

Minimize cash usage, no need to withdraw unless 'Cash only' on some of your trips.

I believe there isn't a charge on your first "EUR 200" withdrawals then the charge after that is 2%

You can check this by going to your app -> dashboard -> settings -> price plan

Always pay in the local currency and let Revolut do the conversion (do not convert to euros / gbp if asked on an ATM)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭granty1892

I was in Bulgaria in March. I didn't bother withdrawing Levs. I just tapped my Revolut card everywhere.

i'm staying in sunny beach so cards wouldn't be commonly used if you know what i mean

• Advertisement

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Yes. Lotto will only accept payment from cards issued in Ireland. The Revolut card is GB issued.

No, some of them are, not all. It depends on what card generation, payment network and level you have.

The new RevP Mastercard for example exists in various country variants. I you have a 5424 0246 then it's coded as Irish. Otheres are UK, France, Germany etc the digits after 5425 02 tell what country it is.

If you have the orginal Visa with 4596 4382 than it's UK.

If you have the pride and the payment processor has the correct BIN list (as the 5273 46xx range is shared) it's Irish too, if he uses the common 6 digits, it however is interpreted as US card.

Which is why some revolut cards work where its "irish only" and other's don't. It depends on your card and what payment processor the shop is using.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement