Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

youngblood wrote: »
    So got my card, now have to load it, this will work in Canada and the states right? Anything I need to do beforehand?

Make sure to verify your identity with revolut (if you haven't already done so) and make a chip and pin transaction here (buy a coffee) to make sure card is working and enable contactless.

& yes it will work in US and Canada!

FYI - I just completed a successful charge-back for a transaction from May.

I bought some headphones online from a site that I should have realised had all the hallmarks of being dodgy. Anyway, headphones weren't shipped, my requests for cancellation & refund or a confirmed shipping date were ignored, I wasn't able to make any contact with the merchant so after giving the merchant ample opportunity to reply to me I started the chargeback process with Revolut on 11th June. I received the full amount back in my account today ~ 44 days later.

I have to compliment Revolut customer service, they were very easy to deal with and process was efficient and pretty effortless. I expected it might take longer than it did and was prepared for that so was pleasantly surprised when the funds were returned today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I got a metal card for free for the year...what happens after the year is up? Do they automatically start charging you the monthly fee after the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Can you do cash back on basic (or any, for that matter) Revolut cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

No, you need Metal but I don't have one so am not sure it works here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

- If the merchant processes it incorrectly e.g. charge for a pint and €50 in cash in one transaction then yes.

Strictly speaking you can't get cashback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You get cashback on Metal plans currently. Once you have the plan, you get the cashback on all cards on your account.

They have 'Perks' which is in beta which gives a % back on selected retailers. You get a new perk for every 10 transactions then you have 48 hours to redeem the perk.

Example: 20% cashback up to a max of £4 on next transaction as retailer X.
    Once they see the transaction they apply the cashback straight away. You cant use Paypal for these to work. Also, the likes of Amazon who charge on dispatch can causes problems and you will have to chase them for the cashback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Had a strange issue with a purchase I'm wondering if anyone else experienced this: Bought something online in euro; pay through PayPal which uses my Revolut card; PayPal asks do I want to convert the euro to pounds (?) which I say no let the card issuer sort it out; I pay and then check my Revolut app and I've been charged nearly a euro extra. Somehow the amount was converted from euro to sterling at an inflated rate and then back to euro.

I know Revolut is based in the UK so it probably has something to do with it, but I've never experienced this before. I specifically selected not to let PayPal do any conversion so where's the extra coming from? Why was it converted in the first place?? Pretty confused...

Standman wrote: »
    Had a strange issue with a purchase I'm wondering if anyone else experienced this: Bought something online in euro; pay through PayPal which uses my Revolut card; PayPal asks do I want to convert the euro to pounds (?) which I say no let the card issuer sort it out; I pay and then check my Revolut app and I've been charged nearly a euro extra. Somehow the amount was converted from euro to sterling at an inflated rate and then back to euro.

I know Revolut is based in the UK so it probably has something to do with it, but I've never experienced this before. I specifically selected not to let PayPal do any conversion so where's the extra coming from? Why was it converted in the first place?? Pretty confused...

Revolut will pay in whatever currency the request is made. If GBP were requested by paypal thats what will be sent to paypal.

I am always aware that paypal do their best to do the conversion for me (at their inflated rate) and I try to avoid it by having that feature turned off for all my cards but even still and with vigilance, I have been caught out with some express checkouts or different paypal payment interfaces and missed them turning on this "feature" for me. Very frustrating when it happens.

If you only have one wallet on your revolut card (eg a Euro balance only) then your transactions will all appear there with the euro equivalent of each transaction displayed and the requested amount in the original currency in grey below it.

Click on a transaction for more details....
    The figure at the top is what came out of that wallet.
    "Spent:" is the amount and currency of what was requested/paid
    "Exchange Rate:" is the rate to convert to the amount in larger font at the top.
    "Fee:" is the revolut fee if any (normally only applies to large transactions or ATM withdrawals over your monthly limit.

If you have more than one wallet (ie you hold more than one currency in your revolut account) was there enough funds in the EUR account to cover the transaction?

If there wasn't enough EUR but another wallet did have enough then revolut would take the funds from that wallet converting it on the fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Thanks for the reply.

I only have one wallet on my Revolut card (euro). The app shows the following:

Spent: £25.52
    Exchange Rate: €1 = £0.8962
    Fee: €0

I checked my PayPal account and it shows the total in euros, not pounds. Yet it somehow converted to pounds before reaching my Revolut card... Weird. I'll check with PayPal about it. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Standman wrote: »
    Spent: £25.52
    Exchange Rate: €1 = £0.8962
    Fee: €0

Look like Paypal charged you in GBP so... annoying. Worth querying it with them as they really make it difficult at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Just set my revolut account earlier on. I transferred €50 from my credit union account to revolut this morning. How long roughly will it take to reach my revolut ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Just a heads up re the extortionate rate some ATMs charge for conversion. I was in NI today and withdrawing £150 from a shop's ATM.

I was offered a conversion from the machine into euros, with a total of €183 odd for the transaction. I, of course, opted for Revolut to do the conversion, despite warnings that this would 'cost' me.

Revolut charged me €167 for my £150 - a whopping €16 less than the machine was offering! Stay wary folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Zardoz

This new Verified confirm purchase thing in the app is a right pain .
    Is there anyway to turn it off ,its very annoying .

I've confirmed the payment in the app but then the website I'm buying from says the card could not be verified. :mad:
    Happening a fair bit .

I realise this is super basic but I've just set up my account.

I'm going to America in a few weeks and I'm just wondering how payments will work while I'm there.

I tried exchanging some EUR to USD on the app, which went fine, and now I see a euro balance and a us dollar balance (almost like two separate accounts within the one account). If I pay by card, which currency "account" does this come out of? Do I need to start building up a stock of USD for my trip?

If I have no USD left and I pay by card, does that come out of the EUR stock? And if so, do I get Revolut's rate?

Excuse the ignorance - I'd really appreciate some help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I realise this is super basic but I've just set up my account.

I'm going to America in a few weeks and I'm just wondering how payments will work while I'm there.

I tried exchanging some EUR to USD on the app, which went fine, and now I see a euro balance and a us dollar balance (almost like two separate accounts within the one account). If I pay by card, which currency "account" does this come out of? Do I need to start building up a stock of USD for my trip?

If I have no USD left and I pay by card, does that come out of the EUR stock? And if so, do I get Revolut's rate?

Excuse the ignorance - I'd really appreciate some help!

It will come out of the USD account, when there's none left it will then come out of the EUR money at Revolut's rate no need for you to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

Can I transfer money onto the Revolut card from a US bank account? or from a US credit card?

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yes to both.

Wire via SWIFT and keep it in USD to avoid charges from the US bank.

Deposit via credit card is easiest / quickest if the amount is small (they have weird limits that vary based on your profile)
    Just tried to deposit $200 via credit card. I got "the purchase you are attempting requires additional verification".:mad:

If you haven’t used revolut / that card before the limits are quite low, just try other amounts multiple times.
    I don't think it will even let me try again. When I open the app I get "We're really sorry, but you need to authorize 3DS authentication through your bank"

• Advertisement

If you haven’t used revolut / that card before the limits are quite low, just try other amounts multiple times.
    leck wrote: »
    I don't think it will even let me try again. When I open the app I get "We're really sorry, but you need to authorize 3DS authentication through your bank"
    Aha, I hid the two failed attempts, restarted app and phone, then tried with $20 minimum. That worked.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Anybody on Vodafone PAYG who doesn't already have a Revolut account can bag a free card and €5 credit here: http://www.vodafoneprepaidrevolut.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Quackster wrote: »
    Anybody on Vodafone PAYG who doesn't already have a Revolut account can bag a free card and €5 credit here: http://www.vodafoneprepaidrevolut.com/

Not being Ungrateful or anything, but that looks as sketchy as hell.

Any links to it from a trusted account like Revolut or Vodafone's Twitter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Dardania wrote: »

I did it through the my vodafone app on my phone and as a bill pay customer I got 10 euro free. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Yes to both.

Wire via SWIFT and keep it in USD to avoid charges from the US bank.

Deposit via credit card is easiest / quickest if the amount is small (they have weird limits that vary based on your profile)

The limits must apply to top up by Google Pay also then? I tried earlier and was able to top up 100 euro but any time I tried after that it denied the top up.

How long does it usually take to remove the limit?
    Bit strange they don't tell you what it is also.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Dardania wrote: »

You'll find the link in the offers section of the My Vodafone app. Clicking it opens the aforementioned webpage.

The link for postpaid customers for a free card and €10 credit is: http://www.vodafonepostpaidrevolut.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Quackster wrote: »
    You'll find the link in the offers section of the My Vodafone app. Clicking it opens the aforementioned webpage.

The link for postpaid customers for a free card and €10 credit is: http://www.vodafonepostpaidrevolut.com/

It's a horrible looking website and bad configured too, no wonder that people are suspicious.

PEYTONVAUGHAN LIMITED or Sweete as they prefer to be called, are really bad at these promotional stuff but they are legit in this case as it's linked from the vodafone app and they are a known marketer of Vodafone. Not even https: for submitting a phone number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Warning issued by revolut saying scammers are trying to make contact with Customers to get their pins for the app etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 brian4

I signed up for revolut to watch Amazon Prime in the UK. As I needed a UK address to watch prime on demand (I used Parcel Motel address) they blocked my account. when I contacted revolut they wanted me to explain why I changed my address. What should I say?

On anther note, I deleted the app. When I try to download it again off there website (with my phone number), it doesn't send to my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

brian4 wrote: »
    I signed up for revolut to watch Amazon Prime in the UK. As I needed a UK address to watch prime on demand (I used Parcel Motel address) they blocked my account. when I contacted revolut they wanted me to explain why I changed my address. What should I say?

Tell them the truth about Parcel Motel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement