Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭VG31

Dardania wrote: »
    Contactless is very well supported in Russia (Moscow and st Petersburg), and Apple Pay + Google Pay - far easier to deal with.

You can use contactless on the Moscow and St Petersburg metro and buses. However it would not work with my Revolut or N26 cards. They wouldn't work for me in the Yandex Taxi app either. Google Pay did work there but I didn't try it on the metro.

Everywhere else I paid with Revolut and occasionally N26 and there were no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 CelticSeaShip

VG31 wrote: »
    You can use contactless on the Moscow and St Petersburg metro and buses. However it would not work with my Revolut or N26 cards. They wouldn't work for me in the Yandex Taxi app either. Google Pay did work there but I didn't try it on the metro.

Everywhere else I paid with Revolut and occasionally N26 and there were no issues.

Is there much of a fee when using the card in Russia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Have you tried adding a new one ? I added one last week and it's a mastercard. I've a standard account but UK address, maybe that's the difference

This is exactly how, change your address to a UK one, generate a virtual master card, change it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Just wondering has anyone used Revolut card in the Seychelles and if there was any problems paying with the card.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Not to my recollection, although I think they do put a margin on to cover for currency fluctuations at the weekend - see here: https://www.revolut.com/help/getting-started/exchanging-currencies/what-foreign-exchange-rate-will-i-get

I seem to remember in the past that they had the RUB in the special category like Thai Baht but it's not on the list anymore

last time I was there in December, the ECB rate was:
    €1 = 75.8385 RUB

and revolut charged me
    €1 = 74.8765 RUB

so 1.2% off (in their favour)

• Advertisement

I definitely wasn't getting the real rate of exchange unlike with most currencies (I was there a month ago). It still worked out better than using a regular Irish bank debit card.

For example for most of my trip 1000 RUB was worth around €14.00 but Revolut was charging me €14.20 approximately. You can have a balance in roubles now which is very convenient. As mentioned already, don't convert euro to RUB at the weekend, there is an extra markup.

Today would be a good time to buy some roubles as 1000 RUB is worth €13.80, that's the lowest it's been in a while.

N26 appears to have a better exchange rate for RUB than Revolut. It was the real rate or at least close enough to it. I didn't use it much though as I had already bought quite a few RUB with Revolut.

You may save money with N26 in Russia but it is very handy being able to have RUB balance with Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Was on Norwegian flight last week and tried to pay with Revolut. Air hostess tried couple of times, but the payment did not go through.
    Finally, reluctantly had to use AIB visa card.
    Word of caution: Can't completely rely on these kind of cards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

suave.4u wrote: »
    Was on Norwegian flight last week and tried to pay with Revolut. Air hostess tried couple of times, but the payment did not go through.

As has been mentioned 100 times in this thread.

If you have an iPhone it might be an idea to register your Revolut card for Apple pay. I flew Ryanair the other day and tapped my phone on their contactless device with no issue. Having Apple Pay take care of the transaction may avoid restrictions assuming they've put one on pre-paid cards.

• Advertisement

Norwegian changed something in their policy in the last few months - I frequently never had an issue with Curve aboard, but my wife did last week.

The bunq Travel card should be a good backup - it's coded as a credit card so their terminals should take it better. I shall give it a whirl next week on a Norwegian flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I signed up to Metal yesterday to try it out. It's fine - fractional shares are available which I never used before.

The brokering services are offered by a third party called DriveWeath.

https://storage.googleapis.com/revolut-dev-apps_stock-logo/documents/termsofbusiness.html

More on Revoluts Shares service.
    https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/revolut-commission-free-stock-trading-service

Metal card is not necessary as it will be available to all users in the coming weeks but Metal customers will be able to buy more shares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Heading to Japan in October for the rugby. Going to use Revolut while I'm there.
    Japan is still fairly reliant on cash which is a surprise since they are so into their tech.
    So will likely be withdrawing Yen from ATMs a few times during the trip
    The €200 fee free limit per month will not cover this so I'd expect to be hit with the 2% charge on withdrawals after that
    Will I still be better off using Revolut for cash withdrawals due to it's better currency exchange?

Also is it safe to load up the card with euro to cover what I think I will spend on the trip before I go? What if the card is stolen or used fraudulently ?
    Would I be safer just loading up as I need it when I am there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭listermint

arrowman wrote: »
    Heading to Japan in October for the rugby. Going to use Revolut while I'm there.
    Japan is still fairly reliant on cash which is a surprise since they are so into their tech.
    The €200 fee free limit per month will not cover this so I'd expect to be hit with the 2% charge on withdrawals after that
    Will I still be better off using Revolut for cash withdrawals due to it's better currency exchange?

Also is it safe to load up the card with euro to cover what I think I will spend on the trip before I go? What if the card is stolen or used fraudulently ?

Load it up but keep it frozen or locked . And only unlock via the app when you need to use it.

That depends on your bank and their charges.

listermint wrote: »
    Load it up but keep it frozen or locked . And only unlock via the app when you need to use it.

Also suggest checking out Curve - on their free tier they have an ATM amount free also (I think E200 also).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Also suggest checking out Curve - on their free tier they have an ATM amount free also (I think E200 also).

Ok - saw some details of curve on another thread somewhere. Will check it out
    I was under the impression that Curve just allowed you use your existing cards but was not a card in it's own right

Good point about locking the card until I need to use it

Ok - saw some details of curve on another thread somewhere. Will check it out
    I was under the impression that Curve just allowed you use your existing cards but was not a card in it's own right

Good point about locking the card until I need to use it

There's a method on the other thread for using it in conjunction with Revolut to give you €400 in ATM withdrawals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I see they're starting share trading
    Initially to metal cards

https://www.revolut.com/help/exploring-revolut/trading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Not sure about the fees but in terms of security you can lock your card and unlock it when you want to make purchases. In the security section you can also restrict online transactions, atm transactions and lock the card there also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭doney84

Hi all, quick question regarding the €200/£200 atm withdrawals ... If I'm in the UK can I withdraw £200 before charges or is it that I can withdraw €200 worth of sterling as my card is registered to an Irish address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

£200/$200 it's all good. Doesn't matter if it's the UK or Éire or € or £

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

Hello, new Revolut user just have a few questions apologies if been asked before...

My main account is in Euro
    I have also set up a Sterling account..
    If I have money in my Euro acc & money in my Sterling acc if I travel to the UK & make a purchase, will the money be automatically taken from my Sterling account??

Can I use the card for Amazon.co.uk purchases?

Can someone explain the virtual vs disposable virtual card?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭dubrov

LauraW7746 wrote: »
    Hello, new Revolut user just have a few questions apologies if been asked before...

If I have money in my Euro acc & money in my Sterling acc if I travel to the UK & make a purchase, will the money be automatically taken from my Sterling account??

Thanks!

It will debit the Sterling Account if there is sufficient balance. If not it will debit the Euro account using the current exchange rate (note this is worse at the weekend).

Yes

Don't know that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

LauraW7746 wrote: »

Thanks!

Money will be automatically taken from the Sterling account first if you are in the UK.

Yes you can use it for Amazon purchases, once you have payment set to sterling it will take from the sterling account first there also.

Virtual card means it's a card on the phone which can be used multiple times. If your phone has NFC you can use this card at point of sale terminals in retailers too.

The disposable virtual card can be used once for a transaction, I'm unsure if you can use that at point of sale terminals once or it it's online only.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

Money will be automatically taken from the Sterling account first if you are in the UK.

Yes you can use it for Amazon purchases, once you have payment set to sterling it will take from the sterling account first there also.

Virtual card means it's a card on the phone which can be used multiple times. If your phone has NFC you can use this card at point of sale terminals in retailers too.

The disposable virtual card can be used once for a transaction, I'm unsure if you can use that at point of sale terminals once or it it's online only.

Great thanks for the info, I was also wondering would the amazon purchase come out of the sterling account... so thats great thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Amazon can be tricky. I had a couple of issues where Amazon would put a hold on the funds and then make another attempt when the item was dispatched, this caused the transaction to be declined because the money I had on the card would be in a holding account or something. You're better off using the card to top up your Amazon account then make the purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

gerard2210 wrote: »

Amazon can be tricky. I had a couple of issues where Amazon would put a hold on the funds and then make another attempt when the item was dispatched, this caused the transaction to be declined because the money I had on the card would be in a holding account or something. You're better off using the card to top up your Amazon account then make the purchase.

Sure can ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Re Sterling or Euro - it's important to note that there must be sufficient in one or the other to complete the purchase. A combination of funds is not possible.

Re Amazon - it can indeed be tricky. I almost always use an Amazon gift card for purchases these days. If you purchase a lot of small things, Amazon peppers your card in chunks of small payments that sometimes triggers a fraud alert and the freezing of the card.

Something else with Amazon that's a small irritation (for me anyway) that despite my Revolut card being linked to my account for years, every single purchase, even gift card top-up, triggers a £1 test fee that has to be reverted sometime later.

• Advertisement

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Re Sterling or Euro - it's important to note that there must be sufficient in one or the other to complete the purchase. A combination of funds is not possible.

Re Amazon - it can indeed be tricky. I almost always use an Amazon gift card for purchases these days. If you purchase a lot of small things, Amazon peppers your card in chunks of small payments that sometimes triggers a fraud alert and the freezing of the card.

Something else with Amazon that's a small irritation (for me anyway) that despite my Revolut card being linked to my account for years, every single purchase, even gift card top-up, triggers a £1 test fee that has to be reverted sometime later.

Amazon does that on every card if it's not taking payment immediately. Lots of retailers do. You just don't see it on the other cards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement