Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Amazon does that on every card if it's not taking payment immediately. Lots of retailers do. You just don't see it on the other cards.

It may happen with other cards, but Amazon take the £1 and immediately afterwards (as in seconds) take the funds for purchases. If I buy something every day in a different transaction, or even more times in a day, the £1 is faithfully removed every time. I use my Revolut with many other UK retailer accounts and it only happens with Amazon, so I accept it's an Amazon thing, which is what was being discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Other issue is that if you cancel the order with Amazon it can take 7 days for the funds to revert which is very annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Amazon does that on every card if it's not taking payment immediately. Lots of retailers do. You just don't see it on the other cards.

It may happen with other cards, but Amazon take the £1 and immediately afterwards (as in seconds) take the funds for purchases. If I buy something every day in a different transaction, or even more times in a day, the £1 is faithfully removed every time. I use my Revolut with many other UK retailer accounts and it only happens with Amazon, so I accept it's an Amazon thing, which is what was being discussed.

No, Amazon takes the full funds when the order is confirmed. This isn't always instantaneous, regardless of what card you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

Amazon does seem a bit tricky, so would I be better off topping up my amazon account with gift cards using revolut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Other issue is that if you cancel the order with Amazon it can take 7 days for the funds to revert which is very annoying

The same with any other card. It takes time for your traditional bank to apply refund too
    LauraW7746 wrote: »
    Amazon does seem a bit tricky, so would I be better off topping up my amazon account with gift cards using revolut?

Really depends how you use it, I just keep an extra buffer on the card £5-10, top-up by how much I need to purchase and I never run into problems. There’s nothing wrong with buying top ups but you do lose out on live exchange rates with the £ dropping like a stone at the moment.

• Advertisement

I’ve never had any issue with amazon tbh and feels a bit like work having to go buying gift tokens to make purchases. The one euro thing while I don’t understand why they keep doing it isn’t a big deal and I don’t really remember the price if an item being taken twice though I’d usually have a much higher balance in Revolut than the cost if the item so it wouldn’t be a big deal.

I just keep a euro balance also don’t bother converting to stg, just let Revolut do the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Trying to verify my account and they keep rejecting my ID, despite it being perfectly clear in the photos. Anyone else have this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Trying to verify my account and they keep rejecting my ID, despite it being perfectly clear in the photos. Anyone else have this problem?

Are you using a passport it is the only one accepted for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Are you using a passport it is the only one accepted for Ireland.

Passport & DL

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

The same with any other card. It takes time for your traditional bank to apply refund too

Really depends how you use it, I just keep an extra buffer on the card £5-10, top-up by how much I need to purchase and I never run into problems. There’s nothing wrong with buying top ups but you do lose out on live exchange rates with the £ dropping like a stone at the moment.

Yeah that is exactly why I want to use Revolut to get the better rates on the currency
    I was just worried there when people said their card got frozen when trying to use it on Amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

No, Amazon takes the full funds when the order is confirmed. This isn't always instantaneous, regardless of what card you use.

According to Amazon, funds are taken when the product is ready to be dispatched, not at order confirmation.

They say the £1 authorisation only happens with a first order with most credit cards. It appears that Revolut - and perhaps all such pre-pay cards - incur the authorisation fee every time an order is placed.

Not a big deal though if you're aware of it and keep track through the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

In the 2 years that I've been using Revolut on Amazon I've never had an issue. Over 100 transactions. I always have a decent balance.
    LauraW7746 wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

J_A_F_A wrote: »
    In the 2 years that I've been using Revolut on Amazon I've never had an issue. Over 100 transactions.

If you’re like me, and aren’t afraid to have a balance on Revolut with auto top up etc, it’s fine.

The problem occurs when people match their balance precisely to the transaction amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I was in lifestyle sports today and a lady in front of me tried to pay for her runners using a revolut card and before she got a chance to put her card in the machine , the teller told her that they don’t accept revolut , sorry !! What’s up with that ?
    The lady had to leave her runners there so she could go find her husband who had another card !! Found it strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

hawkelady wrote: »
    I was in lifestyle sports today and a lady in front of me tried to pay for her runners using a revolut card and before she got a chance to put her card in the machine , the teller told her that they don’t accept revolut , sorry !! What’s up with that ?
    The lady had to leave her runners there so she could go find her husband who had another card !! Found it strange

Yeah, unfortunately a merchant can decide what types of Mastercard they would like to accept (i.e. refuse commercial cards for example due to the higher fee) but to not accept a specific card from an issuer is not something that should happen.

If it would be me I would log a complaint with Mastercard / Visa (depending on what it was).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

92.11 at the mo for sterling. Boris is doing a lot for revolut.

hawkelady wrote: »

That’s total bull from them and I would kick up a stink, I don’t see how they can refuse a card or even why they would do it.

If they still refused after complaining I’d get out another card so they would put the transaction into the terminal and then quickly pull out the Revolut card and tap it if the transaction was below 30 just to annoy them. That or use Apple Pay (or curve) with Revolut so they wouldn’t know what card I was using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Surely if they accept visa or mastercard it's game on... It's just a prepaid card.

I would have insisted to use it as it would most likely work perfectly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Haven't been following the thread recently but since when has the Visa card worked with Google Pay?

Nice!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

-=al=- wrote: »
    Surely if they accept visa or mastercard it's game on... It's just a prepaid card.

I would have insisted to use it as it would most likely work perfectly fine.

There's multiple types of visa and MasterCard which can be discriminated against, mainly pre-paid cards.

You can't 'trick' a merchant by using Apple pay or concealing the Revolut card in your hand, the payment physically won't go through and you may get an 'invalid card' message on the card reader.

As has been mentioned I'm very surprised a large merchant like lifestyle would have any restrictions on what card they take as they're more than big enough to absorb whatever fees smaller merchants are trying to avoid.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    There's multiple types of visa and MasterCard which can be discriminated against, mainly pre-paid cards.

You can't 'trick' a merchant by using Apple pay or concealing the Revolut card in your hand, the payment physically won't go through and you may get an 'invalid card' message on the card reader.

As has been mentioned I'm very surprised a large merchant like lifestyle would have any restrictions on what card they take as they're more than big enough to absorb whatever fees smaller merchants are trying to avoid.

What are the chances it’s actually blocked on the machine rather than just staff watching for the cards and stopping people using them. I’d guess it’s the latter tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

What are the chances it’s actually blocked on the machine rather than just staff watching for the cards and stopping people using them. I’d guess it’s the latter tbh.

Any time I've had Revolut payments not go through I've gotten an error such as 'invalid card' type'.

If it's the staff manually saying no then they're breaking their agreements with VISA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I had three transactions last week that failed, two are showing as reverted but the funds have not returned to my account. I assumed that they would automatically return the funds, has anyone else had an issue like this?
    The third transaction is still pending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

I had three transactions last week that failed, two are showing as reverted but the funds have not returned to my account. I assumed that they would automatically return the funds, has anyone else had an issue like this?
    The third transaction is still pending.

They'll be returned more than likely 3-7 business days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

5star02707 wrote: »
    They'll be returned more than likely 3-7 business days

So is it 3-7 days for it to show as reverted & then a further 3-7 days before the funds appear in the account?

I'm on with live chat, they say that one on the transactions was reverted on the 2nd. I haven't received the funds yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

So is it 3-7 days for it to show as reverted & then a further 3-7 days before the funds appear in the account?

I'm on with live chat, they say that one on the transactions was reverted on the 2nd. I haven't received the funds yet.

The 2nd is one working day ago.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Any time I've had Revolut payments not go through I've gotten an error such as 'invalid card' type'.

If it's the staff manually saying no then they're breaking their agreements with VISA

I use Revolut as my main card and the only place I’ve had a transaction fail in Ireland was the post office as it’s coded as a credit card.

The only other fails I’ve had were I had it fail maybe 2 or 3 times across 3 weeks of using it everyday in the US on magnetic swipe readers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭lau1247

In the older version of the app, I can see the top up limit per year.

I can't seem to find that anymore in the redesigned app (Really hard to navigate in the new layout).

Anyone know where I can find it? or is the limit no longer apply?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I had a revolut Mastercard till it expired and never had any problems. I got issued with a new Visa card and I find I get declined payments online a lot more. Most recently on Superdrug.com, the amount has been taking from my Revolut account but declined by Superdrug, I am now waiting for funds the be reverted. I used this site with my old Mastercard and never had an issue. Could the problems be Visa?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Hey guys. I don't have a Revolut account yet but I am considering it. I hope you can appreciate that there are almost 9,000 posts in this thread so rather than going through all posts to find an answer (answers for which searching online has failed me) I'm going to just ask here if that's okay.
    1. Do direct debits tend to go through successfully without issue, like they do when using regular Irish bank accounts? Or have there been any unusual issues reported with DDs?
    2. Can a Revolut account be used seemlessly as a UK bank account, including to receive salary from a UK employer/bank into? Or have there been any problems with this?

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement