Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

DareGod wrote: »
    Hey guys. I don't have a Revolut account yet but I am considering it. I hope you can appreciate that there are almost 9,000 posts in this thread so rather than going through all posts to find an answer (answers for which searching online has failed me) I'm going to just ask here if that's okay.
    1. Do direct debits tend to go through successfully without issue, like they do when using regular Irish bank accounts? Or have there been any unusual issues reported with DDs?
    2. Can a Revolut account be used seemlessly as a UK bank account, including to receive salary from a UK employer/bank into? Or have there been any problems with this?

Thanks.

You get a bic and IBAN and under EU law this is adequate for money to be put in from employment etc.

There has been a few issues here and there but I use the card for a good bit especially buying online from UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Is there a way I could top up my Revolut account with 200 Pounds and use it as required in Pounds? My account is in Euros.

Given Euro to Pounds conversion is good at the moment.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Top up in euro and convert it to sterling in the app, and move it to a vault if you want to start saving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Top up in euro and convert it to sterling in the app, and move it to a vault if you want to start saving it.

Or just disable your sterling wallet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Is there a way I could top up my Revolut account with 200 Pounds and use it as required in Pounds? My account is in Euros.

Given Euro to Pounds conversion is good at the moment.

Do you have a sterling account? Simple and free to set one up. Then just convert some Euro to Sterling. Is spending pounds, it'll come from your sterling account first, if there's enough in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Or just top up in the equivalent amount of euro and let Revolut do the conversion as you spend. No need to complicate things.

But exchange rate from Euro to Pounds is good at the moment. Pound may become stronger in future.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    Or just top up in the equivalent amount of euro and let Revolut do the conversion as you spend. No need to complicate things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

But exchange rate from Euro to Pounds is good at the moment. Pound may become stronger in future.

All indications are that the opposite is more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Do you read the news?

I'm not going to get into currency speculation but the prospects for the pound in the short to medium term are not for it to strengthen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I don't think that will happen any day soon.

• Advertisement

Maybe, I thought you were going to spend in the immediate future

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Dardania wrote: »
    If you’re like me, and aren’t afraid to have a balance on Revolut with auto top up etc, it’s fine.

The problem occurs when people match their balance precisely to the transaction amount.

Is there really any risks to holding a balance on revolut? what are the negatives to this?

eeloe wrote: »
    Is there really any risks to holding a balance on revolut? what are the negatives to this?

I tend to top up with €80 a week and have a bit of a balance all the time. I think it's fine. I wouldn't keep thousands in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Wheety wrote: »

I wouldn't keep thousands in it.

Just out of interest why ??

I see no reason to be afraid of having a balance, between vaults etc id often have 4 figures in Revolut.

There is a bit of needless fear out there from some about holding money in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'm trying to order a standard physical card on the revolut app but each time as soon as I get to the address confirmation page it says "Something has gone wrong try again later". This has happened a few times yesterday and today. Is there something I'm doing wrong or a way to get this sorted?

Just out of interest why ??

Just because they're still quite new and don't have their bank licence set up yet. I know the underlying account is Llyods so the money should be safe.

Also, I just don't have it to spare. :D

Proper savings are in KBC earning 1.75%. I do have a few hundred in a vault though.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

I got scammed of ~ €800 in unauthorised transactions on Revolut about 2 years ago. I spoke to them on the chat for 5 mins and it all got refunded within 2 weeks. Your money is safe !

I have used my AIB card to top up 100 pounds. But paid 110.90 euros.
    Is this the cheapest way to top up Revolut?

Why did you top up in pounds? I'd imagine AIB will charge you for that.

Just top up your Euro account and then exchange it, if you want Sterling.

• Advertisement

Because I was going to purchase something from UK in pounds and it gave error insufficient funds.
    But I suppose I should have topped up Euro account. Mistake made!
    Wheety wrote: »
    Why did you top up in pounds? I'd imagine AIB will charge you for that.

Just top up your Euro account and then exchange it, if you want Sterling.

The entire point of Revolut is that you avoid your bank's FX fees by topping up in your bank's currency and let Revolut do the FX. Top up in your bank's currency, spend in the shop's local currency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Because I was going to purchase something from UK in pounds and it gave error insufficient funds.

Three people told you that you were wrong about sterling on this thread but, not only did you put sterling on your card, you did it in the most expensive way possible, completely negating any benefit of Revolut?

You need to have the amount fully covered by one of your currencies. It'll check the merchant's currency first Sterling in this case, then your home currency, Euro. Then any other. But it won't mix and match.

You can leave all your money in Euro and allow Revolut to do the exchange. Happens automatically, don't need to do anything in the app or exchange first.

I have misinterpreted due to shortage of funds in EUR Revolut account. Learned my lesson now.
    Cheers
    Three people told you that you were wrong about sterling on this thread but, not only did you put sterling on your card, you did it in the most expensive way possible, completely negating any benefit of Revolut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Let that be a lesson. Always top up in the currency your card is in. Irish bank card, top up in euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

adam88 wrote: »
    Let that be a lesson. Always top up in the currency your card is in. Irish bank card, top up in euros

This. And leave it in Euro, let Revolut convert it to whatever currency at the daily exchange rate

Good stuff. It's clear now.

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's easy to be caught out if you used the sterling vault for example last....
    It will try and let you top up in sterling... Be aware and always take a second look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

Got a message this morning about scheduled maintenance but deleted it before i read the time and date. Anyone know when it is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement