Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭NinetyForNone

tringle wrote: »
    Got a message this morning about scheduled maintenance but deleted it before i read the time and date. Anyone know when it is?

Scheduled Maintenance
    Heads up! Our payments partner will be carrying out essential maintenance on Sunday August 11th, 03:15 AM - 06:15 AM (BST).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Scheduled Maintenance
    Heads up! Our payments partner will be carrying out essential maintenance on Sunday August 11th, 03:15 AM - 06:15 AM (BST).

So, if you reckon you'll be in coppers this weekend bring a back up card just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭lau1247

has anyone tied to top up using credit card instead of debit card?

If you did, what credit card were you using and did you get charged by the credit card company as a cash withdraw?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

lau1247 wrote: »

If you did, what credit card were you using and did you get charged by the credit card company as a cash withdraw?
    People here top up with credit cards all the time and it just comes up as a regular debit. AIB Click here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

KBC credit card works for me with no extra charge.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    People here top up with credit cards all the time and it just comes up as a regular debit. AIB Click here.
    derekbro wrote: »
    KBC credit card works for me with no extra charge.

Thank you both for confirming. Much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Avantcard recently triggered a fraud alert when using their card topping up Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

I'm in the process of siging up to a Revoult card, have most of the stuff done, lodged a tenner etc, just need to upload a passport details etc. The aim is to buy a car in the north, will I be able to put 12k sterling on to it in euros and debit it the far side and at what cost?

Dr Devious wrote: »
    I'm in the process of siging up to a Revoult card, have most of the stuff done, lodged a tenner etc, just need to upload a passport details etc. The aim is to buy a car in the north, will I be able to put 12k sterling on to it in euros and debit it the far side and at what cost?

There are limits per day

https://community.revolut.com/t/maximum-withdrawal-limit-per-day/9519

Avantcard recently triggered a fraud alert when using their card topping up Revolut.

Fraud trigger is ok, at least you can call them up and say that it is you. So long as they don't charge it as cash withdraw then it is ok for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭glen123

Avant card - also comes up as regular debit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Vodafone doing offers.

25 Metal Revolut cards up for win. (Mail went out today, closes Sunday)

And for those who don't have Revolut and have Vodafone PayG: sign up to Vodafone and they'll top it up with a 5er.

It's in the Vodafone app under offers.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭garion

Dr Devious wrote: »

I've used Revolut for the deposit on a car up north and CurrencyFair for the transfer if the balance.

Looks like they are now trying to get an electronic money license in Ireland according to several news reports with recruiting for a Dublin office ongoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Looks like they are now trying to get an electronic money license in Ireland according to several news reports with recruiting for a Dublin office ongoing.

From what I've heard they are a horrible shower to work for

But then again that could just be a minority of disgruntled employees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

gwalk wrote: »
    From what I've heard they are a horrible shower to work for

But then again that could just be a minority of disgruntled employees

I met a few of them at a rev rally a few years ago. They concurred it’s a tough job but they enjoyed it. They were Early to mid twenties - it’s a young man / woman’s game.

Saw the Irish license news too - it’s an odd one. Is the Lithuanian license not worth t for them - are they being perceived poorly because of it? Or maybe the regulator there is tough to deal with...

Dardania wrote: »
    I met a few of them at a rev rally a few years ago. They concurred it’s a tough job but they enjoyed it. They were Early to mid twenties - it’s a young man / woman’s game.

Saw the Irish license news too - it’s an odd one. Is the Lithuanian license not worth t for them - are they being perceived poorly because of it? Or maybe the regulator there is tough to deal with...

There is some political trouble in Lithuania due to Nikolay Storonsky (the co-founder) being Russian with family contacts in Russia.

Also the bank license in Lithuania is not a full bank license but a specialized one allowing only for deposits and lending but not investment services.

Ireland makes sense for Brexit - English speaking - good flights to the EU but still somehow linked to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

I'd like to get one of these for a friend who has financial problems. I'd top it up but it would need to be in her name. Is this possible? Would I need i.d. documents for her to set this up? I want it to be a surprise so it would be great if I didn't have to provide this. If Revolut don't allow this is there any other company that will?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

glen123 wrote: »
    Avant card - also comes up as regular debit.

This is good to know, I’ve never tried topping up using my Avantcard CC.

I'd like to get one of these for a friend who has financial problems. I'd top it up but it would need to be in her name. Is this possible? Would I need i.d. documents for her to set this up? I want it to be a surprise so it would be great if I didn't have to provide this. If Revolut don't allow this is there any other company that will?
    It's technically fraud so she would have to set it up herself unfortunately. I don't know if those 3V cards still exist but I don't think you put a name on them so something like that might work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Thanks. I've just found an old swirl card which is still in date. I could load money onto that for her. How would that work if she were to use it to buy concert tickets online, would the likes of ticket master accept the card? There's no name on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I'm really getting fed up with Revolut and the new Verified by Visa confirm process ,it simply doesn't work on some websites.
    I confirm it on the app but it returns to the retailers website and says the payment could not be processed.
    No attempt at deducting money from the Revolut.

Other times then it just fails on the retailers site and nothing appears on the App to confirm.
    I've also had it fail on the retailers site after a few seconds before I can confirm on the app.

Having to use my main bank cards instead and suffering on the exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

Benefits of using Revolut instead of a debit card when in another EU country? Or is it just best to use the debit card?

sacamano wrote: »
    Benefits of using Revolut instead of a debit card when in another EU country? Or is it just best to use the debit card?
    I presume you mean another Euro using country? No FX advantages, but the other features such as usage notifications, location security, vaults, and the ability to enable or disable features on the card might make it better than your own bank. You might prefer the UI in the app to your own bank's as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Revolut really stands out when you're in a non-Euro country. Your bank shouldn't charge you for withdrawing Euros so not much savings if you're in a Euro country.

Real time notifications
    Abilities to block certain transactions
    Budget maintenance

But otherwise it's not really useful and in case of ATM even more expensive in certain scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

My brother gets charged everytime he withdraws. He got charged €2 from an older Bank ATM that I don't get charged from. Literally every bank charges his revolut. Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

MarkY91 wrote: »
    My brother gets charged everytime he withdraws. He got charged €2 from an older Bank ATM that I don't get charged from. Literally every bank charges his revolut. Bizarre.

Is he withdrawing more than the monthly allowance?

you only get €/£200 per month on standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

gwalk wrote: »
    Is he withdrawing more than the monthly allowance?

you only get €/£200 per month on standard

Yeah, I'd say it's this. If he goes into the dashboard, then the little cogwheel in the top right. Then click on 'Price plan'. It'll tell you your limits there and where you're at at the moment.

Revolut is more geared towards someone who uses their card for payments and only withdraws a small amount of cash. I probably only average withdrawing around €40 a month now. My habits have completely changed over the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just got a notification for a €10 referral bonus for anyone I sign up. Pity they've only introduced this now, I've got tonnes of people to sign up previously.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement