Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Notmything

F1ngers wrote: »
    Get a passport.

With such wit you should be up on stage

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Notmything wrote: »
    Hope this is the right place to ask.

Signed up to revolut and added a tenner as per the referrals. That was the easy bit.
    However, when it cam to verifying myself I don't have any of the types they ask for. No passport only a driver's licence. Their support says they only accept passport or national id.

Now I've a tenner stuck in an account I can't access, can't withdraw/transfer it as I'm not verified. Has anyone had this issue or found a way to get around it

Their support just keeps telling me I need a passport

If thats what the Revolut team say you need (a passport), then thats what you need. Even if you did get different advice here, the support team are the ones who you have to talk to, and they have their script

5star02707 wrote: »
    No need to withdraw, you just need to put it in an ATM, enter your pin when asked then u can just press cancel on the pin pad or click a mini statement.

Also like the previous poster, both the cards are linked with your account (whatever amount you have in there)

You can just do a chip and pin debit transaction also no need to go near an atm.

I even did an online transaction with my physical card before ever using it in a chip and pin and it went through no problem.
    With such wit you should be up on stage

In fairness how can you not have a passport in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Notmything

You can just do a chip and pin debit transaction also no need to go near an atm.

I even did an online transaction with my physical card before ever using it in a chip and pin and it went through no problem.

In fairness how can you not have a passport in this day and age.

Managed to get it sorted in the end.

Had one but it went out of date, never renewed it as I couldn't travel for health reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Had one but it went out of date, never renewed it as I couldn't travel for health reasons.

Good to hear. Would you mind saying how you got it sorted without the passport? Did they make an exception for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

jakdublin wrote: »
    Good to hear. Would you mind saying how you got it sorted without the passport? Did they make an exception for you?

Im sure thats the answer there....

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

Never Mind, I figured it out! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

DubDJ wrote: »
    Only passport is accepted in Ireland as far as I know.

Thanks, passport seems to have done the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭veryangryman

If you try to register but the phone camera isnt quality enough to verify photo id, is there another way for them to verify your ID? Manually i guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just received an email to verify my identity with passport even though I used my passport to sign up earlier in the year.

Live chat has a 20 minute wait so would just be quicker to just upload again and save a potential argument but can’t actually see the option in app. Anyone got any directions?

EDIT: Live chat advise no issues and I shouldn’t have received the email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

So after bring prompted for months, after the whole passport thing where they needed it then decided they didnt need it, well I got an email today saying that if I dont update my ID to passport that my account will most likely be suspended when Brexit kicks in.

Guess Ill finally have to upload my passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

I got the same email and couldn't see how to verify. Support (after 30 minutes or so) gave me a link. Verified within two minutes of providing the passport & selfie.
    Collie D wrote: »
    Just received an email to verify my identity with passport even though I used my passport to sign up earlier in the year.

Live chat has a 20 minute wait so would just be quicker to just upload again and save a potential argument but can’t actually see the option in app. Anyone got any directions?

EDIT: Live chat advise no issues and I shouldn’t have received the email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I'm getting hacked off being pestered every time I open the app about new ID.

I got a free 2nd card from the beta trial. Can I take out 200 euro on each one per month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

irishgeo wrote: »
    I'm getting hacked off being pestered every time I open the app about new ID.

I got a free 2nd card from the beta trial. Can I take out 200 euro on each one per month?

Nope.

The limit is for the account not the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Why do people still get Revolut accounts if you require ATM withdrawals?

I haven’t touched an ATM in about 2-3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Anyone has experience of adding Revolut card to PayPal account?
    I tried thrice but gives error "incorrect billing address" on PayPal.
    Only difference I see in the address on Revolut is Ireland is written there, and PayPal doesn't have option to write Country.
    Any solution to this?

There are some countries where you still might need cash.

However for € it makes no sense but for foreign currency there can be some some savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pain in the rocks trying to upload passport ID on my two year old account.
    Got the ultimatum email yet when I use the link to open the app there is no option to upload.

Been on to support, which took about half an hour to get someone. They told me to add them there in the chat as there was an option to add ID and a selfie, which I did. She then said “thanks I’ll transfer. You to our support team”.

It’s been over an hour now in total. I’m wary of sending important documents at the best of times and the fact they told me to send them within the chat in the app and then have me hanging like this isn’t great.

Poor customer support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Anyone has experience of adding Revolut card to PayPal account?
    I tried thrice but gives error "incorrect billing address" on PayPal.
    Only difference I see in the address on Revolut is Ireland is written there, and PayPal doesn't have option to write Country.
    Any solution to this?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110597620

Plenty of situations where cash is required I find it very hard to believe you haven't used cash in 2-3 years.

That being said I never used Revolut to take out cash I’ve BOI and EBS accounts for cash with no charges and no monthly limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks Navi. I contacted Revolut online help. They sorted it out.
    But did exactly what your link suggests.
    Done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Plenty of situations where cash is required I find it very hard to believe you haven't used cash in 2-3 years.

I never said I didn’t use cash. There’s a difference between using cash and using an ATM it’s subtle, I use cash-back in shops if I absolutely have to (say for giving nephews birthday money) but that’s only once a year.

This year I’ve been in Singapore, South Africa, Kenya, UAE, Kazakhstan, Spain, Germany, U.K., Turkey, Lebanon and Ireland and everywhere takes card even reluctant taxi drivers.

I did have one problem in Turkey the taxi drivers card terminal was without a connection but I just ran into the airport terminal and got bureau de change (which was a card transaction).

€200 a month is absolute bucket loads - for the emergency situations - but posts crop up here every week or two about lads getting charged for ATM. Revolut free tier is the absolute wrong product to be using if you need access to old payment methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Is it possible to setup direct debit with Revolut?

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Is it possible to setup direct debit with Revolut?

From your € iban yes, not from your local £ account

I never said I didn’t use cash. There’s a difference between using cash and using an ATM it’s subtle, I use cash-back in shops if I absolutely have to (say for giving nephews birthday money) but that’s only once a year.

This year I’ve been in Singapore, South Africa, Kenya, UAE, Kazakhstan, Spain, Germany, U.K., Turkey, Lebanon and Ireland and everywhere takes card even reluctant taxi drivers.

I did have one problem in Turkey the taxi drivers card terminal was without a connection but I just ran into the airport terminal and got bureau de change (which was a card transaction).

€200 a month is absolute bucket loads - for the emergency situations - but posts crop up here every week or two about lads getting charged for ATM. Revolut free tier is the absolute wrong product to be using if you need access to old payment methods.

I use card quite a lot but I also use cash quite a bit some times as I choose to others because I have to. I hate getting cash back and never do it, prefer to use ATMs and anyway I need to take out sums of cash that they won’t give (I have one payment of around 400 euro every month that I have to pay in cash for example). Then there are smaller things that are cash only like my local pub, a place I get lunch regularly, tolls, and many other things one example would be entrance to and betting on course betting at race meetings (in my head as I was racing a few times this month).

I’ve been in loads of taxis both here and on the continent that won’t take card also so you are just lucky in that front. I’ve encountered other situations abroad also that cash was required.

That being said I still out between well over 1k a month through Revolut and just use my irish bank cards for atm withdrawals. So it’s certainly a very suitable product for me just not as the only product I use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

only really been caught in Football stadiums in England, a lot of them only take cash (annoyingly then you prepare for this and some booths will only take card)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I probably average cash withdrawals of around €40 a month these days. Lasts me a long time but like to have some cash on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Mr.S wrote: »
    What are these examples? The only one I can think of is public toilets where you need change :D

I genuinely do not remember the last time I took out cash. Most shops seem to have gotten rid of minimum card payments, and those that still stamp their feet are easily replaced.

I use Revolut for as much as possible and in Ireland 90-95% of my spending is on the card but there are plenty of examples where cash is still king. I generallly keep €50 cash with me at all times for when cash is more convienient or just the only option.

1. Previous poster mentioned football stadiums in England but most Irish soccer stadiums operate cash only. I would presume it's the same for other sporting events.
    2. At the bar at big events cash is often just quicker. Not always the case, but usually.
    3. Car boot sales. You do see small buisness owners with mobile terminals but they're still the exception rather than the rule.
    4. If you're travelling abroad many small businesses aren't set up for cards. I go to Bulgaria a lot and the likes of local coffee shops are cash only.
    5. Same goes for taxies abroad.

What are these examples? The only one I can think of is public toilets where you need change :D

I’d spend between at least 600 per month in cash, could be higher some months but rarely less. I still spend more by card but cash is still very much a requirement for me.

Examples: rent (up until very recently, not paying rent now) paying tradesmen or other people who want cash or give better prices with it, tolls (a few times a week), my local pub (my local pub is cash only but in general when drinking I use cash), one or two of of the places I buy lunch are cash only, Birthday/wedding/Christmas etc presents, many taxis, horse race meetings, I could go on with plenty of other examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I genuinely do not remember the last time I took out cash. Most shops seem to have gotten rid of minimum card payments, and those that still stamp their feet are easily replaced.

Work canteen. They don't all take card. It's about the only reason I ever have cash.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement